• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Business Brainstorming

In response to the crap LongTom is getting at work, I thought we could try and find a business idea for him (or anyone else for that matter)

My first idea is LodgerFinder.co.uk

The basic premise is that most young and old people are actually very decent chaps.

Now if I was (say) a 70 year old widow, I may have spare bedrooms but be a bit cash short or need some help round the house.

Likewise, if I was (say) a 25 year old nurse I may well be trying to find cheap digs.

BUT which older person is going to want to go on Craigslist or whatever nest of vipers people go to to find shared rooms? Equally, many younger people do not actually want to be in 'party central' - they just want a nice place to live in a nice area.

I would set up a 'dating agency' for lodgers targetting the higher end. Old person would be interviewed to find out exactly what they are looking for, young person would be interviewed and referenced.

Old person might want to offer reduced rent for help with shopping / gardening etc.

Young person may even just need digs for weekdays.

I wouldn't aim to be cheap. I would be looking for something like £500 from the old person (maybe in three installments) and £250 from the lodger if a placement is found. One placement a week and you are turning over £40k per year with limited costs.

I would have a website but primarily this would be people based - though I guess there will be circumstances where children of older folk do the lodger searching.

This could be sold partly as a social enterprise so may be possible to get free marketing from local media sources.

Once successful in my local area, I would franchise out other areas, taking a cut of all finders fees.

You could even run 'blind date' evenings where you could get a load of people together for a cup of tea and a chat and hopefully find a home / lodger.

What do DOSBOD minds think?

35 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

In response to the crap LongTom is getting at work, I thought we could try and find a business idea for him (or anyone else for that matter)

The basic premise is that most young and old people are actually very decent chaps.

Now if I was (say) a 70 year old widow, I may have spare bedrooms but be a bit cash short or need some help round the house.

Likewise, if I was (say) a 25 year old nurse I may well be trying to find cheap digs.

BUT which older person is going to want to go on Craigslist or whatever nest of vipers people go to to find shared rooms? Equally, many younger people do not actually want to be in 'party central' - they just want a nice place to live in a nice area.

I would set up a 'dating agency' for lodgers targetting the higher end. Old person would be interviewed to find out exactly what they are looking for, young person would be interviewed and referenced.

Old person might want to offer reduced rent for help with shopping / gardening etc.

I wouldn't aim to be cheap. I would be looking for something like £500 from the old person (maybe in three installments) and £250 from the lodger if a placement is found. One placement a week and you are turning over £40k per year with limited costs.

I would have a website but primarily this would be people based - though I guess there will be circumstances where children of older folk do the lodger searching.

This could be sold partly as a social enterprise so may be possible to get free marketing from local media sources.

Once successful in my local area, I would franchise out other areas, taking a cut of all finders fees.

You could even run 'blind date' evenings where you could get a load of people together for a cup of tea and a chat and hopefully find a home / lodger.

It sounds like you would be expected to talk to people in the flesh? ooh er mussus  O.o

18 minutes ago, One percent said:

It sounds like you would be expected to talk to people in the flesh? ooh er mussus  O.o

That's pretty much why I haven't kept it for myself. But Tom works in a bar. He should have some social skills?

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's pretty much why I haven't kept it for myself. But Tom works in a bar. He should have some social skills?

You sure about that.  Not casting aspersions on Tom but I've come across bar staff whe were right surly.  

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I think he said Wetherspoons, so, no then.

5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Well if you lot haven't anything decent to add or new ideas yourself I can see why none of you have bought a feckin island yet.

Come on you genii, come up with something better.

Selling your body?  

Give us a picture and we will give you a quote.

Don't expect a high bid from the pink hairdryer. 

Well, you need to supply the picture. I didn't say mine, or ours.  9_9xD

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Oap have all their rooms filled with junk they buy from the sunday papers,

3 skips, 2 days, 2 people to clean Aunts place.

I dont have any money...

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Oap have all their rooms filled with junk they buy from the sunday papers,

3 skips, 2 days, 2 people to clean Aunts place.

I dont have any money...

Well there you go. Clear out and decorate the room in lieu of the first month's rent.

But I think you are bitter from past experience?

Well there you go. Clear out and decorate the room in lieu of the first month's rent.

But I think you are bitter from past experience?

Yes. Carrying a second box full of plate collectibles, 1 of 1,000,000,000 does that.

This is already happening in London called homeshare.org, crossroads.co.uk or something.

Years and years ago I answered an ad in The Times asking for a young lady to share a large house in Chelsea with an older lady for miniscule rent.  I called the number and had a lovely chat with her son who told me his mother just wanted someone around generally, no chores except for opening a bit of post and the odd letter typing, just a cup of tea with her now and again and a presence in the house.  He was fine that I worked full time and had a social life as he said it was just for peace of mind for his mother to have some company.  I asked when I could meet his mother and see the room.  He was very keen but felt he just had to mention that his mother ran the Liberace Fan Club so hoped that I would be ok with that.

o.O

In retrospect, I wish I had taken it up for a few months.  The laughs would have been well worth it.  Although it could have just been absolutely horrendous of course.

21 minutes ago, Miss S said:

This is already happening in London called homeshare.org, crossroads.co.uk or something.

Years and years ago I answered an ad in The Times asking for a young lady to share a large house in Chelsea with an older lady for miniscule rent.  I called the number and had a lovely chat with her son who told me his mother just wanted someone around generally, no chores except for opening a bit of post and the odd letter typing, just a cup of tea with her now and again and a presence in the house.  He was fine that I worked full time and had a social life as he said it was just for peace of mind for his mother to have some company.  I asked when I could meet his mother and see the room.  He was very keen but felt he just had to mention that his mother ran the Liberace Fan Club so hoped that I would be ok with that.

o.O

In retrospect, I wish I had taken it up for a few months.  The laughs would have been well worth it.  Although it could have just been absolutely horrendous of course.

I can't imagine the incoming mail sack would have been overly stuffed in reality.