• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

by election results

Labour win the election.

Labour: 677
Conservative: 336
Independent: 94
UKIP: 32
Lib Dems:18

The turnout was 15%...

This is c&p from a local group as the council don't have the results online yet.
At least it didn't cost much in terms of counting.

Previous results have had higher turnout

PREVIOUS _ Failsworth East Ward 3 May 2018

Result: LAB Hold

Turnout: 25.69%

Name of Candidate Party Number of votes
BELMORE
Alan Stuart
Liberal Democrats 23
BRIGGS
Norman
Labour Party 1,072
CAHILL
Antony
The Conservative Party Candidate 575
LUDFORD
Dean Colin
Independent 275
PARR
Chris
Green Party 70
Edited by sarahbell

I wish councillors had less power, and the locals had more control over their spending.

A local council where I used to live spent millions upgrading the town hall, went way over time and budget. Nobody lost their job, nobody was disciplined, not even a shrug of the shoulder, as millions were wasted (I would say embezzled) on a vanity project.

When finished the security systems looked very elabourate, I assumed they were a tacit nod to a simultaneous cut in the local policing resources.

Edited by SuperTramp

56 minutes ago, dgul said:

That's diabolical.  There really needs to be a new election if turnout <25%.

Indeed, people seemed to be surprised when we voted to leave the EU. Turnout in that referendum was >77%.

Turnout for EU elections in the UK are typically under 35%. Once under 25%.

So you have, apparently, nearly 16 million remainers moaning about how they love the EU. And yet, statistically, the vast, overwhelming majority of them never bothered once to vote in any EU election since they got underway in 1979. For something they are so attached to, they seemed to have little interest in it until after we voted leave. 

Its the one thing that astounded me (as an abstaining voter) in the 2017 election. Turnout, despite election fatigue, despite 3 dire choices, was the highest for a quarter century. 

Given liblabcon are all awful, I couldnt much care about who won. I did find it concerning tens of millions would vote for any of them. I was hoping the big story of the day would be a rejection of all parties and record low turnout (i was hoping for a symbolic <50%)

49 minutes ago, SuperTramp said:

I wish councillors had less power, and the locals had more control over their spending.

A local council where I used to live spent millions upgrading the town hall, went way over time and budget. Nobody lost their job, nobody was disciplined, not even a shrug of the shoulder, as millions were wasted (I would say embezzled) on a vanity project.

When finished the security systems looked very elabourate, I assumed they were a tacit nod to a simultaneous cut in the local policing resources.

We had exactly the same, the Labour councillors backed a very expensive refurb with loads of over the top gizmos and gadgets. Then when voted out they tried to blame it all on the new Tory councillors.

The great thing was it showed our local Labour councillor up for what he really is - a lying, nasty and hatefull person. On a FB group he wrongly accused a Tory councillor of leaking information the to the local press. The local press came onto the group (after offering to speak with him privately so he had a chance to reract his libelous comments) to state that he was wrong and the Tory Councillor did not leak the info to them. The Labout Councillor then just had a hissy fit and accused the local reporter of being a liar.

The behaviour was quite shocking, he continued for months to make snipes on the FB group. But all he did was to reveal what a complete twat he was. No wonder he lost by a big margin.

54 minutes ago, SuperTramp said:

You mean councils.

Councils are run by their unelected executive who set the budgets and come up with the new ideas and agenda.

They then present it as a near fait accompli to the councillors who will  tweak everything slightly and think that they have exerted their "considerable" influence and power.

Councillors have very little power despite what their egos may think.

15 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Indeed, people seemed to be surprised when we voted to leave the EU. Turnout in that referendum was >77%.

Turnout for EU elections in the UK are typically under 35%. Once under 25%.

So you have, apparently, nearly 16 million remainers moaning about how they love the EU. And yet, statistically, the vast, overwhelming majority of them never bothered once to vote in any EU election since they got underway in 1979. For something they are so attached to, they seemed to have little interest in it until after we voted leave. 

Its the one thing that astounded me (as an abstaining voter) in the 2017 election. Turnout, despite election fatigue, despite 3 dire choices, was the highest for a quarter century. 

Given liblabcon are all awful, I couldnt much care about who won. I did find it concerning tens of millions would vote for any of them. I was hoping the big story of the day would be a rejection of all parties and record low turnout (i was hoping for a symbolic <50%)

I really don't think you should abstain, it really does count for nothing.

I agree that the choices are often dire and a case of picking the least worst, It's completely your choice to vote or not but I do think you should make the effort - especially as you are better informed than most.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You mean councils.

Councils are run by their unelected executive who set the budgets and come up with the new ideas and agenda.

They then present it as a near fait accompli to the councillors who will  tweak everything slightly and think that they have exerted their "considerable" influence and power.

I didn't realise that. Thank you for the clarification.

That's bloody awful by the way, and also it's how the EU functions i.e. unelected executives making all the decisions.

When there's no accountability, it's no wonder so many councils are indebted to the degree that they are.

Do you know the mechanism of appointment to an executive local council body?

Edited by SuperTramp

1 minute ago, SuperTramp said:

I didn't realise that. Thank you for the clarification.

That's bloody awful by the way, and also it's how the EU functions i.e. unelected executives making all the decisions.

When there's no accountability, it's no wonder so many councils are indebted to the degree that they are.

Do you know the mechanism of appointment to an executive local council body?

It's just a job interview; you or I could apply.  Usually people shuttle between different councils for the money.

In its way it's an excellent job because you get to make big decisions but the stick for any mistakes falls upon the necks of the councillors who voted to ratify those decisions because people who haven't seen how it works think that the councillors are making those decisions.  Well technically they are but in reality councillors don't come up with anything themselves bar things like getting some extra double yellow lines painted in their constituency.

The huge property deals are initaited by and recommended to the councillors by the executive; when they go wrong the blame won't however fall upon the executive.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's just a job interview; you or I could apply.  Usually people shuttle between different councils for the money.

In its way it's an excellent job because you get to make big decisions but the stick for any mistakes falls upon the necks of the councillors who voted to ratify those decisions because people who haven't seen how it works think that the councillors are making those decisions.  Well technically they are but in reality councillors don't come up with anything themselves bar things like getting some extra double yellow lines painted in their constituency.

The huge property deals are initaited by and recommended to the councillors by the executive; when they go wrong the blame won't however fall upon the executive.

Effectively a quango in charge of local government.

7 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's funny you say that. I would argue that some apparently do have an insane amount of influence over other people within the council.

45 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It's funny you say that. I would argue that some apparently do have an insane amount of influence over other people within the council.

Over other councillors or over the council itself?

I've worked for one and worked closely with two but that doesn't mean they'll all be like the three I know.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Depend how the council manages its affairs.

Lots if councils use a ' Cabinet' system now aping central government which effectively puts most of the political influence in the hands of a few councillors and the unelected officials. In the past many Councils were run on a Committee basis which tended to give individual councillors more of a voice.