• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JoeDavola

Budapest

On a whim a while back I booked a week in Budapest next week.

Got some leave that I have to use before the end of the year and figured it would be more interesting going somewhere than being sat in my flat all week.

Now I'm getting major second thoughts and I can feel the anxiety rising as I try and think of reasons not to go because I'm a bit wary of traveling there alone, and not thrilled with the idea of spending a week somewhere else on my tod. In reality I'll probably be grand. And I checked the weather in Belfast next week and it's due to rain all fucking week, so I'll probably end up bored as fuck sat in my little flat or usual coffee shop looking at the rain for a week.

So yeah, Budapest - any recommendations? Went there for a weekend about 5 years ago with my brother and enjoyed it, and had been meaning to go back. I know not to fall for any bar scams, not to frequent any lap dancing clubs, and not to phone any hookers. I've scoped out a couple of nice cafe's that play live Jazz music near my apartment and might go there in the evening if I'm feeling like heading out after dark (I generally don't when travelling alone).

Edited by JoeDavola

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Got some leave that I have to use before the end of the year and figured it would be more interesting going somewhere than being sat in my flat all week.

Now I'm getting major second thoughts and I can feel the anxiety rising as I try and think of reasons not to go because I'm a bit wary of traveling there alone, and not thrilled with the idea of spending a week somewhere else on my tod. In reality I'll probably be grand. And I checked the weather in Belfast next week and it's due to rain all fucking week, so I'll probably end up bored as fuck sat in my gaff or usual coffee shop looking at the rain for a week.

So yeah, Budapest - any recommendations? Went there for a weekend about 5 years ago with my brother and enjoyed it, and had been meaning to go back. I know not to fall for any bar scams, not to frequent any lap dancing clubs, and not to phone any hookers.

Go for it. I had the opportunity to do some driving work across the former eastern bloc countries a year or two back for a couple of weeks. Didnt take it as one of the bosses said "now if you get hi-jacked, just stay..." and I thought 'F that!"

Regret not doing it now, and the boss was joking, apparently. Stuff like that might have been an issue in the 1990s. Not really today. All the mafiaso types have probably upped sticks from Warsaw and Prague to ply their trade in London. 

That said, in my case, it would involve driving around, and generally not leaving, another employee who was infamous for his ability to not go anywhere interesting wherever in the world they sent him. Moscow, Lagos, Sydney, Detroit. He'd stay in the hotel 24/7, or in a car with his driver, except to find a MacDonalds. 

Used to work there a lot. Buda is across the river from Pest. Taxi drivers will do everything they can to rip you off. The streets smelled of wee in the summer. Cracking opera house there. Found the ladies there not as attractive as those in Poland or the Czech Republic. My secretary took great pleasure in booking me into the Gellert everytime I visited, with its delightful nude spa. 

Not much help I know. 

2 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Used to work there a lot. Buda is across the river from Pest. Taxi drivers will do everything they can to rip you off. The streets smelled of wee in the summer. Cracking opera house there. Found the ladies there not as attractive as those in Poland or the Czech Republic. My secretary took great pleasure in booking me into the Gellert everytime I visited, with its delightful nude spa. 

Not much help I know. 

My apartment is a 10 minute walk to the Gellert, so if I get completely bored I can just spend my days floating about there. Which you can't do in Belfast without getting arrested.

Just now, JoeDavola said:

My apartment is a 10 minute walk to the Gellert, so if I get completely bored I can just spend my days floating about there. Which you can't do in Belfast without getting arrested.

You should go at least once, well worth a look if you like naked East European ladies

4 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

You should go at least once, well worth a look if you like naked East European ladies

Aye I went to the baths for a few hours (not Gellert) last time I was there and enjoyed it so it's on the list.

8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Now I'm getting major second thoughts and I can feel the anxiety rising as I try and think of reasons not to go because I'm a bit wary of traveling there alone, and not thrilled with the idea of spending a week somewhere else on my tod. In reality I'll probably be grand. And I checked the weather in Belfast next week and it's due to rain all fucking week, so I'll probably end up bored as fuck sat in my little flat or usual coffee shop looking at the rain for a week.

So yeah, Budapest - any recommendations? Went there for a weekend about 5 years ago with my brother and enjoyed it, and had been meaning to go back. I know not to fall for any bar scams, not to frequent any lap dancing clubs, and not to phone any hookers. I've scoped out a couple of nice cafe's that play live Jazz music near my apartment and might go there in the evening if I'm feeling like heading out after dark (I generally don't when travelling alone).

Got any dental work that needs doing? :D  Cheap and high quality, supposedly.

I think you should have gone with @Turned Out Nice Again, he seems to know how to amuse himself in European cities! And he's a good "cold starter" for conversations. Who cares if falling in love with MDMA-head nurses or lapdancers is delusional, all of life is a delusion of one kind or another and he had fun. You're young - live a little!

44 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

You made me interested about what there is to do - so I had a quick look

B-side walking tours seems to get good reviews.

I think there is enough to occupy me for 2-3 days and a few evenings.

But a week ? I'd not want to spend a whole week in a city, but that is 'just me'.  If you don't want to hire a car, I'd look for bus or coach trips to surrounding more rural areas where I'd see some more of 'real' Hungary, local bars, food, countryside etc.  Perhaps even stay somewhere else overnight?

Edited by Hopeful

I lived in Budapest for several years and go back quite often, it's such a nice place. I suggest the following:

1. Stay in an air bnb where the owner lives on the premises. You will be able to tell from the reviews how friendly the owner is, and this means you have someone to talk to in the mornings/evenings and help with local knowledge.

2. Check Meetup for activity groups. In Budapest there are a few conversation groups, where any native English speaker can just turn up and meet locals to help improve their English. It's a good way of getting to know people. I believe Couchsurfing also has similar groups.

3. It's a bit short notice but try joining Conversation Exchange and send out a round-robin request to all members in Budapest who want to learn English, telling them you will be in the city next week and would like to meet for conversation and to pick up some basic Hungarian. I have met a couple of girls this way but I did exchange messages for a few weeks beforehand, it's still worth a try though.

Places to visit that I like:

Gelert Hill
Gelert Spa (you can spend all day there for about £15)
Old Buda castle walls walk
St Matthew's church (but the nearby Fisherman's Bastion isn't really worth it now you have to pay for it)
Margaret Island
Vajdahunyad Castle
Opera House
House of Terror
Szentendre (St Andrew's) - really nice little town on the Danube, about 30 mins by HEV train.
Visegrad - another beautiful Danube town easy to get to for a day trip.

Some tips:
The classic Budapest 'ruin pubs' are now very touristy, particularly Szimpla Kert. The smaller ones off the beaten track are better. Eleszto is quite good.
Eat and drink in cafes away from the tourist hotspots as they are expensive. Basic Bar on Dob Utca is good. Stick to the area around the university called Belvaros off Muzeum Korut this has loads of cheap places (and lots of pretty girls). The area around Bela Bartok street and Moricz Zsigmond square is very 'local' and cheap - you might need a phrase book there.
Don't get a taxi from the airport as it's expensive and you can get ripped off. The bus (200E I think) and then the tube is fine and costs about £2.
Public transport is great, try to get a weekly pass at the airport as they speak English, you can get them in tube stations but the ticket offices are often closed and they don't always speak English. If you get a book of tickets not a pass, then use the tube instead of the tram as you don't have to stamp a new ticket when you change lines (but you do have to on the trams).

Most people you will meet in the city centre will speak some English but it's worth taking a phrase book or a phone app just in case. The only two words it's worth learning are 'Szia' (see ya) which means hello AND goodbye, and köszönöm (cursor-numb, remember it as 'curse your name'). You will get a better treatment from the locals if you make that basic effort.

EDIT: I never heard of a nude spa at Gelert - or indeed anywhere in BP - I'd love to know more about that!

Edited by Austin Allegro

2 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I lived in Budapest for several years and go back quite often, it's such a nice place. I suggest the following:

1. Stay in an air bnb where the owner lives on the premises. You will be able to tell from the reviews how friendly the owner is, and this means you have someone to talk to in the mornings/evenings.

2. Check Meetup for activity groups. In Budapest there are a few conversation groups, where any native English speaker can just turn up and meet locals to help improve their English. It's a good way of getting to know people. I believe Couchsurfing also has similar groups.

3. It's a bit short notice but try joining Conversation Exchange and send out a round-robin request to all members in Budapest who want to learn English, telling them you will be in the city next week and would like to meet for conversation and to pick up some basic Hungarian. I have met a couple of girls this way but I did exchange messages for a few weeks beforehand, it's still worth a try though.

Gelert Hill
St Matthew's church (but the nearby Fisherman's Bastion isn't really worth it now you have to pay for it)
Margaret Island
Vajdahunyad Castle
House of Terror
Szentendre (St Andrew's) - really nice little town on the Danube, about 30 mins by HEV train.

Some tips:
The classic Budapest 'ruin pubs' are now very touristy, particularly Szimpla Kert. The smaller ones off the beaten track are better. Eleszto is quite good.
Eat and drink in cafes away from the tourist hotspots as they are expensive. Basic Bar on Dob Utca is good. Stick to the area around the university called Belvaros off Muzeum Korut this has loads of cheap places (and lots of pretty girls). The area around Bela Bartok street and Moricz Zsigmond square is very 'local' and cheap - you might need a phrase book there.
Don't get a taxi from the airport as it's expensive and you can get ripped off. The bus (200E I think) and then the tube is fine and costs about £2.
Public transport is great, try to get a weekly pass at the airport as they speak English, you can get them in tube stations but the ticket offices are often closed and they don't always speak English. If you get a book of tickets not a pass, then use the tube instead of the tram as you don't have to stamp a new ticket when you change lines (but you do have to on the trams).

Most people you will meet in the city centre will speak some English but it's worth taking a phrase book or a phone app just in case. The only two words it's worth learning are 'Szia' (see ya) which means hello AND goodbye, and köszönöm (cursor-numb, remember it as 'curse your name'). You will get a better treatment from the locals if you make that basic effort.

Great post, and I'm not even going

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Great post, and I'm not even going

The tips on meeting people work anywhere. Also if you are a churchgoer (or even if not) it is always worth checking out the English church in a foreign city as they tend to have friendly expats keen to meet people from 'home'. I did that once in Gibraltar and got invited to lunch with the Royal Navy chaplain and met loads of expats and had a good time.

1 minute ago, Austin Allegro said:

The tips on meeting people work anywhere. Also if you are a churchgoer (or even if not) it is always worth checking out the English church in a foreign city as they tend to have friendly expats keen to meet people from 'home'. I did that once in Gibraltar and got invited to lunch with the Royal Navy chaplain and met loads of expats and had a good time.

100%, always get talking and be a willing guest because you never know who you'll meet or where it may lead.

10 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

1. Stay in an air bnb where the owner lives on the premises. You will be able to tell from the reviews how friendly the owner is, and this means you have someone to talk to in the mornings/evenings and help with local knowledge.

Gelert Hill
Margaret Island
Vajdahunyad Castle
Opera House
House of Terror

Some tips:

EDIT: I never heard of a nude spa at Gelert - or indeed anywhere in BP - I'd love to know more about that!

Bloody hell Joe, you lucked out with this post. I might print it and go for a visit myself! 

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

watch out for albanian mafia types, take a good book

I never had any problems with violent crime (though you get gypsies kicking off sometimes in the rough parts of town) BUT do beware of pickpockets - I had my pocket picked in a cafe and it was done so skillfully I did not even realise. The pickpockets are highly skilled because unlike in the UK, an obvious robbery like a mugging will result in you getting very severely punished/beaten by the police.

48 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Not much help I know. 

This is the kind of info needed on tripadvisor.

13 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I hereby nominate it for the DOSBODS 2019 meet-up venue. Isn't @One percent organising it?

I'd just go. If you get bored you can log in here and pretend you're back in Belfast.

I would suggest a week in any town is too much. After a couple of days of museums they get a bit "samey".

I've taken the day off work. I've got a Greggs sandwich in front of me and I'm watching Judge Rinder. Absolute bliss.

What the hell is going on ? am I actually reading DOSBODS ?.

A single male is going to eastern europe and we are talking about about fucking churches. Joe get on some dodgy websites and start lining up some floozies, the professional variety if need be. Not least because we expect some good stories out of this.

Edited by goldbug9999

48 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

unlike in the UK, an obvious robbery like a mugging will result in you getting very severely punished/beaten by the police.

Yeah some countries still have this thing called "law and order", quaint isnt it.

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

Gelert Hill
Margaret Island
Vajdahunyad Castle
Opera House
House of Terror

Some tips:

Bloody hell that's an amazing guide, thanks a million!

53 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I never had any problems with violent crime (though you get gypsies kicking off sometimes in the rough parts of town) BUT do beware of pickpockets - I had my pocket picked in a cafe and it was done so skillfully I did not even realise. The pickpockets are highly skilled because unlike in the UK, an obvious robbery like a mugging will result in you getting very severely punished/beaten by the police.

Yes I read about pickpockets. I always keep my money/cash card in a wallet belt thingy that I wear under several layers of clothing, but I'd need to be careful they didn't try and nick my phone from my pocket (they'd regret it though as it's a fucking iPhone 4).

9 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

What the hell is going on ? am I actually reading DOSBODS ?.

A single male is going to eastern europe and we are talking about about fucking churches. Joe get on some dodgy websites and start lining up some floozies, the professional variety if need be. Not least because we expect some good stories out of this.

Indeed all Jethro Tull was interested in was picking up a middle distance runner..presumably she'd be on Steroids back then.