• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Wight Flight

Feckin over the young (again)

Chatting with my DPD driver today. Lovely bloke, very hard working, at a guess early thirties.

Got married last month. Decided that there is no way he can get a house and start a family in the South East so decided to bugger off to York.

Found a little place they could afford. Got finance arranged. Found new jobs for both of them. He and wife handed in their notice to start new jobs and life in January. Gave the required notice to their landlord as well.

So far, so good and sensible.

Mortgage company found out (don't know how, maybe he told them).

And because he and his wife haven't had the new jobs for two years, they demanded an extra £20k deposit or would withdraw the offer.

So now, he and his wife have no jobs and nowhere to live come January.

What a great system we have. 😈😈😈

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Chatting with my DPD driver today. Lovely bloke, very hard working, at a guess early thirties.

Got married last month. Decided that there is no way he can get a house and start a family in the South East so decided to bugger off to York.

Found a little place they could afford. Got finance arranged. Found new jobs for both of them. He and wife handed in their notice to start new jobs and life in January. Gave the required notice to their landlord as well.

And because he and his wife haven't had the new jobs for two years, they demanded an extra £20k deposit or would withdraw the offer.

Yes, this country is now very unrewarding for people who try to do the right thing. Funny that, seeing as doing the right thing is such a popular expression for some.

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

York isn’t cheap. Might be hub on a new build. He might look back in a couple of years and thank his lucky stars 

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Yes, this country is now very unrewarding for people who try to do the right thing. Funny that, seeing as doing the right thing is such a popular expression for some.

What is also interesting is,that a lot of his cohort are planning along the same lines. It isn't white flight, it is young flight.

Before we know,it, the home counties will be filled with the too wealthy to work and the too poor to work.

There will be nobody left to actually do any work.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

What is also interesting is,that a lot of his cohort are planning along the same lines. It isn't white flight, it is young flight.

Before we know,it, the home counties will be filled with the too wealthy to work and the too poor to work.

London keeps trucking along though. 

what work ?

13 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Loans are getting harder to find now, including mortgages. That is all.

3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

what work ?

Looking after the pensioners.

Local Facebook page is full of people looking for 'reasonably priced'* gardeners and cleaners.

* reasonable being less than £10 per hour.

Just now, One percent said:

That’s not York! 

It's within 5 miles. Better than his current 40 mile each way commute.

Local Facebook page is full of people looking for 'reasonably priced'* gardeners and cleaners.

There is a slight delusion out there. If I won't work for that money, why should I expect others to? Just gave my gardener a reasonable tip, as he wasn't charging enough.

It's within 5 miles. Better than his current 40 mile each way commute.

3 bed houses in York. Almost London prices

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=REGION^1498&insId=1&radius=0.0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&minBedrooms=3&maxBedrooms=3&displayPropertyType=houses&maxDaysSinceAdded=&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false

As someone who is planning on doing the same I was under the assumption it would be expected to have work secured for at least 6 months in the area, well at least commutable. Surely it would raise a few eyebrows in the underwriting department applying for a FTB'er mortgage in a different part of the country?

You know better than that. Total fake news. You set it to show highest prices first in the City centre. If you are going to do that, you need to compare it to Mayfair or Belgravia.

This is more realistic

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^1498&maxBedrooms=3&minBedrooms=3&radius=3.0&sortType=1&propertyTypes=detached%2Csemi-detached%2Cterraced&primaryDisplayPropertyType=houses&includeSSTC=true

I just did 3 beds York. There has been a lot of people relocating to York and prices have shot up massively. 

Just now, One percent said:

I just did 3 beds York. There has been a lot of people relocating to York and prices have shot up massively. 

It will become depleted of Yorkshire Folk, who have all exported themselves to Surrey.

1 minute ago, A_P said:

As someone who is planning on doing the same I was under the assumption it would be expected to have work secured for at least 6 months in the area, well at least commutable. Surely it would raise a few eyebrows in the underwriting department applying for a FTB'er mortgage in a different part of the country?

So are you thinking of doing a 300 mile commute for six months?

To be fair, if it was me I would just rent but they had full time well paid jobs secured so I guess they thought they were ok.

9 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

what work ?

Overheard a couple of maintenance guys chatting the other day, one said "if the work can't be done in a ten hour day then it cant be done".

I got the impression that a ten hour day was normal and that they were often expected to do more than can be done in ten hours.

One of the guys was Polish, so I imagine their wages were not great. Both guys looked to be in their late 20's or early 30's.

It seems that those who do work are being ever more exploited and taxed. Remain voters often get a bit humpy when you point out that EE workers are often being exploited by the rich to detriment of the working class wages in the UK, what do they care so long as someone can serve them coffee in Costas and deliver their Amazon parcels for peanuts.

Was also chatting with a highly qualified civil engineer the other week who was telling me how much the employment perks have disappeared over the years. He was saying how lucky the guys were who were working in the 90's and all the perks they got.

From all ranges of jobs, all I keep hearing is unpaid overtime, more hours, less bonus - except for the boss and those at the top who seem to take an ever greater share of the spoils.

The employment prospects for my children are not looking too good.

23 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Any Brexit chat?

2 minutes ago, A_P said:

So, what happens if you get a new job at the other end of the country and thus have to relocate.  It will be a new job on probation. If mortgage lenders refused to lend if you hadn’t been in the job for two years, then no one would be able to move. 

Perhaps more to this story than we are being told 

28 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's important: if they haven't been in a job for 2 years, they can be more easily be made redundant - and will be first out the door if their employers cuts back. So it's a higher risk for the mortgage company.

It's not discrimination against the young - it's just a loan company being cautious.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

You are clearly using an iPad so by default it will show the most poncy overpriced properties first.

On my kindle it normally only shows park homes.

Just now, DeepLurker said:

That's important: if they haven't been in a job for 2 years, they can be more easily be made redundant - and will be first out the door if their employers cuts back. So it's a higher risk for the mortgage company.

It's not discrimination against the young - it's just a loan company being cautious.

And they are getting more cautious.

4 minutes ago, null; said:

Overheard a couple of maintenance guys chatting the other day, one said "if the work can't be done in a ten hour day then it cant be done".

I got the impression that a ten hour day was normal and that they were often expected to do more than can be done in ten hours.

One of the guys was Polish, so I imagine their wages were not great. Both guys looked to be in their late 20's or early 30's.

It seems that those who do work are being ever more exploited and taxed. Remain voters often get a bit humpy when you point out that EE workers are often being exploited by the rich to detriment of the working class wages in the UK, what do they care so long as someone can serve them coffee in Costas and deliver their Amazon parcels for peanuts.

Was also chatting with a highly qualified civil engineer the other week who was telling me how much the employment perks have disappeared over the years. He was saying how lucky the guys were who were working in the 90's and all the perks they got.

From all ranges of jobs, all I keep hearing is unpaid overtime, more hours, less bonus - except for the boss and those at the top who seem to take an ever greater share of the spoils.

The employment prospects for my children are not looking too good.

Word.