• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781b

Lifestraw water filtration - drink from the canal ?

Has anyone used the Lifestraw product? It appears to be a water filtration system initially marketed for the humanitarian market. Ok rather than drinking from the local pond or canal I confess I’m thinking about homebrew - either sipping my pints through it (would look odd) or hoping the syphon action has enough suction action to use at bottling. People do seem to setup gravity rugs with the Lifestraw. I need to check whether it would let yeast through as I don’t want flat beer!

44241A21-B884-42D0-80F5-D1A4C8A8329C.jpeg

159282F0-8515-468C-B9B5-C16188DF8F53.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Has anyone used the Lifestraw product? It appears to be a water filtration system initially marketed for the humanitarian market. Ok rather than drinking from the local pond or canal I confess I’m thinking about homebrew - either sipping my pints through it (would look odd) or hoping the syphon action has enough suction action to use at bottling. People do seem to setup gravity rugs with the Lifestraw. I need to check whether it would let yeast through as I don’t want flat beer!

44241A21-B884-42D0-80F5-D1A4C8A8329C.jpeg

159282F0-8515-468C-B9B5-C16188DF8F53.jpeg

It wont let yeast through as it filters to 0.2µm

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

It wont let yeast through as it filters to 0.2µm

Thanks. That’s impressive so I’d need to drink my pints with it or and CO2 to the beer.

5 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Thanks. That’s impressive so I’d need to drink my pints with it or and CO2 to the beer.

All waterfilters that are used for dirty water (backpacking etc) and your household ones that make claims about bacteria etc, will filter to 0.2µm as that is what is required to remove living bacteria.

As a note, it's interesting to see the new marketing strategy for at least this 'in the wild' purification device now includes microplastics. I can see this coming for home filters too. BUT, while any filter that removes bacteria will remove microplastics from the intake water, what about downstream of the filter ? - plastics from the product itself and anything you might put the water in. I can see this sort of advertising targeting home water filters - if it doesn't already. Public are so gullible.

Edited by Hopeful

I listened to a hardcore outdoor bloke talking about one of these in a podcast.

If you were heading out into the serious wilds he basically said one of these things was an essential. I've been tempted by one but running out of water in the UK mountains would probably be the least of my worries.

If I were heading to the arse-end of nowhere then I'd pick one up.

15 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I listened to a hardcore outdoor bloke talking about one of these in a podcast.

If you were heading out into the serious wilds he basically said one of these things was an essential. I've been tempted by one but running out of water in the UK mountains would probably be the least of my worries.

If I were heading to the arse-end of nowhere then I'd pick one up.

I've looked at them (albeit only on the web), but I've got a Katadyn and a Sweetwater Guardian.

My thoughts are that Lifestraws are probably fine as an emergency, but perhaps not for sustained wild use on a trip

My, perhaps unfounded concern, is the increasing amount of suction you'd have to apply as the filter blocks, especially in turbid water, and that would get tedious for extended use.

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I've looked at them (albeit only on the web), but I've got a Katadyn and a Sweetwater Guardian.

My thoughts are that Lifestraws are probably fine as an emergency, but perhaps not for sustained wild use on a trip

My, perhaps unfounded concern, is the increasing amount of suction you'd have to apply as the filter blocks, especially in turbid water, and that would get tedious for extended use.

Yes, I got the impression that they were more for emergencies than continual use. I'm not sure if the filters are replaceable or if it's single use only. 

* Off to Google *

Eta - You can get replacement filters though at nearly 20 quid a pop I'd have run out of money quicker than water.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Yes, I got the impression that they were more for emergencies than continual use. I'm not sure if the filters are replaceable or if it's single use only. 

* Off to Google *

In which case, I'd think I'd prefer to pack something more for daily use even if it wasn't used. Otherwise you are probably carrying something unecessary just 'in case' - a bit like all the people in the UK out for a 2hr Sunday afternoon stroll who can't leave home without taking 330ml of bottled water with them - Take care, it's wild out there.

It's made for a problem that doesn't exist for the majority of people that it's marketed towards.

Edited by Hopeful

3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

It's made for a problem that doesn't exist for the majority of people that it's marketed towards.

Quite. It's probably a bit OTT to have one in beside the marmite sandwiches and choccy bar on the way up to Scafell.

That said, I've seen people dressed like they are going up K2 on the way to Helvellyn. Someone will buy them.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Quite. It's probably a bit OTT to have one in beside the marmite sandwiches and choccy bar on the way up to Scafell.

That said, I've seen people dressed like they are going up K2 on the way to Helvellyn. Someone will buy them.

10,000s will buy them, especially now they have added 'microplastics' to the list of other scary items the device will remove from water.

Edited by Hopeful

20 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Why, may I ask? Remote adventuring or SHTF prepping?