• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

blobloblob

Celebrity Death Sweepstake 2019

I’ve put my bets in but for anyone agonising over their under 75 entry little jimmy osmond famed for his long haired lover from Liverpool song when he was aged nine may be a good bet. He’s just withdrawn from his current panto job due to suffering a stroke. 

24 minutes ago, eight said:

OK then.

Over 75 - Bobby Charlton.

Under 75 - Cameron Diaz.

Political - Larry the Downing Street cat.

Oh dear, that's a tricky one.

Although they are all very much "in the zone" as far as this thread is concerned, I believe all surviving members of the 1966 England squad should be regarded as having a free-pass from our little lottery of life...!

And Gazza for that goal against the Jocks in Euro 98.

And his plastic tits in 1990.

And for feeding five-bellies a shit-and-kidney pie.

And especially for Raoul Moat, the cans of lager, and the chicken...!

Please, don't wish Gazza dead.

As Bob Marley famously once never said, "No Gazza, No Die".

A happy new year to you all...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

9 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I’ve put my bets in but for anyone agonising over their under 75 entry little jimmy osmond famed for his long haired lover from Liverpool song when he was aged nine may be a good bet. He’s just withdrawn from his current panto job due to suffering a stroke. 

This is my HUGE objection to this nonsense.

The guy is what, 57, happy go lucky spends his time entertaining people and these same people are merrily speculating over his upcoming death.  I mean really, this is very bad taste.

As I have mentioned before the guy who was so enthusiastic about this at work keeled over with pancreatic cancer at about 55.  He was actually a lovely bloke but celebrating death seems so wrong unless it is a death of somebody evil like Soros, Hillary or Blair.

I am attacking the concept and not the people signing up, especially not the very nice and moral @Van Lady

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The guy is what, 57, happy go lucky spends his time entertaining people and these same people are merrily speculating over his upcoming death.  I mean really, this is very bad taste.

As I have mentioned before the guy who was so enthusiastic about this at work keeled over with pancreatic cancer at about 55.  He was actually a lovely bloke but celebrating death seems so wrong unless it is a death of somebody evil like Soros, Hillary or Blair.

I am attacking the concept and not the people signing up, especially not the very nice and moral @Van Lady

You still read it all though don't you Francis...?

And coming on here and not inhaling could be seen by some as a kind of virtue-signalling...!

Not by me of course, but perhaps by those with less culture and refined habits than what I have...

;)

XYY

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

You still read it all though don't you Francis...?

And coming on here and not inhaling could be seen by some as a kind of virtue-signalling...!

Not by me of course, but perhaps by those with less culture and refined habits than what I have...

;)

XYY

I don't actually.  I just picked up @Van Lady's comment on Little Jimmy's personal tragedy and blanched.

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is why I go for Blair and evil dictators, I felt really bad the first year when I picked normal celebs.

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't actually.  I just picked up @Van Lady's comment on Little Jimmy's personal tragedy and blanched.

I do get where you are coming from.

I "won" with Chuck Berry in 2017, and Jimmy Hill dying the last week in December 2015 robbed me of that being two in a row...!

I felt really shitty when Chuck went. 

I told the lads at work about it, and one of them didn't speak to me for a week.

And yet I still enter each December.

It's gallows humour. It's the small frightened boy whistling in the dark to show he's not scared even though he's fucking bricking-it..!

Laughing at death.

For some of us that is a valid coping-mechanism mate...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, I accept I have an unsatisfactory part to my being. I don’t personally know anyone who I bet on so have no feelings for them.

I also accept that while being overall, IMO, moral I’m just human and for me celebrities death forecasting is for me “fun” simply because I don’t know them. Of course I feel sorry for jimmy osmond but he isn’t in my world.

In real life it’s not fun at all. Recently, six weeks ago, a school acquaintance of mine who I’ve chatted to regularly over the years, went to A&E and was given a devastating prognosis....two weeks to live. Unfortunately she was buried two weeks ago aged 60. Lovely person and she, like a few others, will haunt my thoughts forever.

Another example. My daughter and I were just reminiscing and remembering a few days ago about her fantastic head teacher of her primary school who was dispatched quickly from herfull and vibrant life due to more than one incurable brain tumours. We will never forget her for personal reasons.

I do hope my jimmy osmond quip wasn’t too offensive. Really though it doesn’t matter to me if he lives or dies because he isn’t in my immediate social circle. Same as I don’t wish my bets in the sweepstake Joni Mitchell or Michael Caine to die. I just think it may be likely that’s all.

Unfortunately, IME, death strikes people with no warning at any age so for me the sweepstake is a sort of “fun” trying to predict. Nothing more. I wish no one earth to die but it’s a fact of life for us all.

1 hour ago, Van Lady said:

Yes, I accept I have an unsatisfactory part to my being. I don’t personally know anyone who I bet on so have no feelings for them.

I also accept that while being overall, IMO, moral I’m just human and for me celebrities death forecasting is for me “fun” simply because I don’t know them. Of course I feel sorry for jimmy osmond but he isn’t in my world.

In real life it’s not fun at all. Recently, six weeks ago, a school acquaintance of mine who I’ve chatted to regularly over the years, went to A&E and was given a devastating prognosis....two weeks to live. Unfortunately she was buried two weeks ago aged 60. Lovely person and she, like a few others, will haunt my thoughts forever.

Another example. My daughter and I were just reminiscing and remembering a few days ago about her fantastic head teacher of her primary school who was dispatched quickly from herfull and vibrant life due to more than one incurable brain tumours. We will never forget her for personal reasons.

I do hope my jimmy osmond quip wasn’t too offensive. Really though it doesn’t matter to me if he lives or dies because he isn’t in my immediate social circle. Same as I don’t wish my bets in the sweepstake Joni Mitchell or Michael Caine to die. I just think it may be likely that’s all.

Unfortunately, IME, death strikes people with no warning at any age so for me the sweepstake is a sort of “fun” trying to predict. Nothing more. I wish no one earth to die but it’s a fact of life for us all.

I would not agonize too much about it as his fate is not in your hands.

The point about these 'tasteless' lists is that they act as a little memento mori to remind us that those who appear blessed by fate can also be struck down by it. With some of the older celebs who have long passed out of the current spotlight  their death is the last time they get a chance to get a curtain call in front of the public. That said you want to get a some schaudenfreude for your money so it's nice if you can pick your list from some of the countless bastards on the planet who richly deserve to meet their maker. I would pick Tony Blair every year but death is far too good for him.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Just to muddy the waters with a little perspective.

Back in the 17th and 18th Centuries, it was common for people to wager on the deaths of celebrities. I like to think that the concept of insurable interest put paid to that; but the market for viatical settlements and excesses of corporate owned life insurance does make me wonder if society hasn't really moved on from those days.

I look on topics like this as an auriga - the man stood behind the Roman General holding up his laurel wreath at his moment of Triumph, while continually whispering in his ear, "Memento mori." Not so much entertainment, more a blunt reminder that if we want to look at death in the face and laugh, we'd better get off our backsides and live a life worth living.

18 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Must admit I had mixed feelings about entering something so macabre. Though whether I pick someone has no bearing on their demise and it's a free bet for £20. I compromised and didn't select real people who I know are ill. Instead I just picked a couple of central banker scum.

I won one year with Frank Thornton. Does this make me an evil person?

Jimmy Osmond ill? Oh dear. i can recall the b&w photo of him standing at the top of a flight of aircraft steps having just flown in to screaming crowds of girls. 

I usdd to sing that Liverpool song endlessly not really knowing the meaning of the words I was singing.

19 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nope.

I had an older cousin who used to sing osmond songs to me as a toddler. Apparently.

There are larhe numbers of toddler spy gurning as she sings Long haired lover from liverpool at me.

He deserves to die.

Celebs make a deal with devil - fame and 14yo pussy for ~4 years for having their tragedies, haemoroids, and sexual peccadildos on the the cover of OK. Ended with a picture of their bloated corpse and love children in Hello.

Im not cek3brating Joe Oassat dying - long may he live.

Its those lisping, barely repressed necrophiliacs.....

23 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Must admit I had mixed feelings about entering something so macabre. Though whether I pick someone has no bearing on their demise and it's a free bet for £20. I compromised and didn't select real people who I know are ill. Instead I just picked a couple of central banker scum.

Put Gordon Brown Tony Blair.

Itll give you a warm feeling.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Nope.

I had an older cousin who used to sing osmond songs to me as a toddler. Apparently.

There are larhe numbers of toddler spy gurning as she sings Long haired lover from liverpool at me.

He deserves to die.

Older bro looking good, essential stocking filler for your average Dosbodder I would have thought :/

1425107504_DonnyOsmondA3calendar2019(1).jpg.32775cce1efb909916ff87998ca6be4e.jpg

Edited by crashmonitor

20 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I do get where you are coming from.

I "won" with Chuck Berry in 2017, and Jimmy Hill dying the last week in December 2015 robbed me of that being two in a row...!

I felt really shitty when Chuck went. 

I told the lads at work about it, and one of them didn't speak to me for a week.

And yet I still enter each December.

It's gallows humour. It's the small frightened boy whistling in the dark to show he's not scared even though he's fucking bricking-it..!

Laughing at death.

For some of us that is a valid coping-mechanism mate...

XYY

Fucking hell XYY

2 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Senior: Henry Kissinger

Junior: Pete Docherty

Political: ??? o.O ....I'll go for 'Class War'

Henry Kissinger, like it. An historical figure you'd assume was dead decades ago.

3 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Henry Kissinger, like it. An historical figure you'd assume was dead decades ago.

Thanks crashy. :) I thought about him when I saw some footage of him at McCain's funeral earlier this year. It looked like age was catching him up. He's 95 now

I have previously picked Stuart Hall.