• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Foodbank joy

Yes foodbanks are actually a positive and a negative thing.

We should be pleased that people volunteer (apart from of course all the employees of Trussel trust and any others actually employed within them) their time doing collections, moving food about and the massive support from the people who actually donate the food.

But it's sad that we have to have them. 

I wonder if they ever check the referrals are being made appropriately?

I see it as more government not thinking things through.  As with the fuel tax protests in France politicians pass these things by looking at large scale effects without considering their effects on indviduals.  Spreadsheet Phil looking at the effect on his revenues of tinkering with NI without thinking who it wil make worse off and whether it is fair to make them worse off given that they are the peopel actually earning the money that the government is taking off them?

The fact that a period of delay without benefits is not only acceptable but actually expected is mental.  What are these people meant to do with no money coming in given that they are on benefits because they haven't got enough money on which to live?

The food bank is taking up the slack; if the government is going to continue to have these delays then it ought to do the decent thing and say that anybody qualifying for Universal Credit but not yet receiving it gets a free pass to the foodbanks and the government should fund this.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/about/jobs/

Foodbank Network Area Manager – South and West London

Home based with extensive travel across South & West London
 Permanent, 37.5 hours per week
£ £32,955 per annum plus benefits

Foodbank Network Area Manager – South Wales

Home based with extensive travel across South Wales
 Permanent, 22.5 hours per week
£ £19,773 per annum plus benefits

13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.trusselltrust.org/about/jobs/

Foodbank Network Area Manager – South and West London

Home based with extensive travel across South & West London
 Permanent, 37.5 hours per week
£ £32,955 per annum plus benefits

Foodbank Network Area Manager – South Wales

Home based with extensive travel across South Wales
 Permanent, 22.5 hours per week
£ £19,773 per annum plus benefits

not bad wages for not having to think or gain new sales.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Yes foodbanks are actually a positive and a negative thing.

We should be pleased that people volunteer (apart from of course all the employees of Trussel trust and any others actually employed within them) their time doing collections, moving food about and the massive support from the people who actually donate the food.

But it's sad that we have to have them. 

I wonder if they ever check the referrals are being made appropriately?

Claire Perry sets my durtyburdometer ringing off the scale.

53 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I see it as more government not thinking things through.  As with the fuel tax protests in France politicians pass these things by looking at large scale effects without considering their effects on indviduals.  Spreadsheet Phil looking at the effect on his revenues of tinkering with NI without thinking who it wil make worse off and whether it is fair to make them worse off given that they are the peopel actually earning the money that the government is taking off them?

The fact that a period of delay without benefits is not only acceptable but actually expected is mental.  What are these people meant to do with no money coming in given that they are on benefits because they haven't got enough money on which to live?

The food bank is taking up the slack; if the government is going to continue to have these delays then it ought to do the decent thing and say that anybody qualifying for Universal Credit but not yet receiving it gets a free pass to the foodbanks and the government should fund this.

I agree with the sentiment to the first part -- although it is quite complex -- after all, for most people welfare should exist for periods of unemployment, in which case there is already the last month's pay, so monthly payments in arrears will be fine.  The problem with UC is that we've an entire underclass (millions of people) who are dependent on welfare in a long-term context.  This is also mental.

The problem I have with the second part -- FBs take up the slack -- is that this, while being sort-of-true, doesn't actually reflect the numbers.  The number of people receiving food-bank support is exactly equal to the amount of support that food banks can give.  Double the food bank capacity and you'll double the amount of support offered by food banks, and then double the amount of support received.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

I agree with the sentiment to the first part -- although it is quite complex -- after all, for most people welfare should exist for periods of unemployment, in which case there is already the last month's pay, so monthly payments in arrears will be fine.  The problem with UC is that we've an entire underclass (millions of people) who are dependent on welfare in a long-term context.  This is also mental.

The problem I have with the second part -- FBs take up the slack -- is that this, while being sort-of-true, doesn't actually reflect the numbers.  The number of people receiving food-bank support is exactly equal to the amount of support that food banks can give.  Double the food bank capacity and you'll double the amount of support offered by food banks, and then double the amount of support received.

I think the first bit is exacerbated by the thinking behind UC: make it seem like a wage and wage ares paid monthly so we'll do that.

Well yes they are mostly, but not that casual manual work that recipients of UC are likely to have been doing: helping in a local shop, doing some fencing type work.  These will be paid weekly rather than monthly in arrears.

You're probably right on the second; it irks me that the government has created a lot of this problem but is then expecting people (meaning taxpayers) to voluntarily pay extra to sort it out.

I think it is a racket, mainly for the staff and ironically for the well-to-do elderly volunteers who reside in extortionately priced property whilst handing out incredibly cheap food to the proles.

The problem isn't the food which by historical standards is dirt cheap, but the smagasbord of extractions through the land, money and taxation systems.

Just pay everyone £350 a month. Let property prices crash. Let the private banks crash off the back of the property crash. Replace with a sovereign bank and run a positive stable currency. Let people work where they like for whatever wage they agree with their employer. Stop thieving from people's labour. Leave people the fuck alone and allow them to bask in the massive abundance of everything all around us.

You know, capitalism and that.

51 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I want some free food where do I sign up

Easy , go to Sally Army or other local referrer

look sad and say you have no food because of the tories 

Free food sorted, sell the food parcel and buy booze, fags or drugs 👍