• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Tip shop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46368861

A tip shop in Newport has seen its footfall double in the past year and sold 21 tonnes of goods in October, which could have ended up in landfill.

Another shop in Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff, has sold more than 50,000 items since April 2017.

Completely missed this story earlier this week

Just now, The Idiocrat said:

At my local tip the (genuinely helpful) staff seem to look for stuff they can take and sell elsewhere. Fair enough IMO, I assumed it had always been a perk of such a job. 

Mine used to actually have stuff lined up for sale very cheaply.

This was stopped about twenty years ago; there is no coherent sensible policy for tips.  It's one of the few things councils have to do and most do it merely adequately when it could be done so much better.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

This was stopped about twenty years ago; there is no coherent sensible policy for tips.  It's one of the few things councils have to do and most do it merely adequately when it could be done so much better.

Legal advice would have been ooh, too risky.  What if you sell a second hand set of golf clubs and one breaks and kills someone.  We could be sued!

Cue councillors, who are shit, deciding to shut it all down rather than managing the risk.

1 minute ago, The Idiocrat said:

At my local tip the (genuinely helpful) staff seem to look for stuff they can take and sell elsewhere. Fair enough IMO, I assumed it had always been a perk of such a job. 

At mine they look after it like you are stealing the crown jewels ,you can`t take nothing ,i had an argument a few weeks ago when i seen a guy about to throw a lawn mower away with a Honda engine which had parts i could use/was looking for ,the staff were insistent i could not have it as it was company policy ,the thing was barley out of the car 

Farir play to the old fella he told them to put it back in the car and gave it to me outside the gate 

All the tV`s rub me up the wrong way you know most are dated not broken

Just now, wherebee said:

Legal advice would have been ooh, too risky.  What if you sell a second hand set of golf clubs and one breaks and kills someone.  We could be sued!

Cue councillors, who are shit, deciding to shut it all down rather than managing the risk.

Yep.

I'm not saying that the tips are bad - I go to two and they're sensibly laid out, clearly signposted and the staff are helpful.

But there is an obvious win as in Sarah's first post or in the informal recycling that used to happen which would tick box after box: less landfill, less pollution from building new, poorer people can buy outright rather than going to Brighthouse and living their life on tick.

It however takes some effort to do that so let's ignore it.  I know how about cutting rubbish collecions again?

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yep.

I'm not saying that the tips are bad - I go to two and they're sensibly laid out, clearly signposted and the staff are helpful.

But there is an obvious win as in Sarah's first post or in the informal recycling that used to happen which would tick box after box: less landfill, less pollution from building new, poorer people can buy outright rather than going to Brighthouse and living their life on tick.

It however takes some effort to do that so let's ignore it.  I know how about cutting rubbish collecions again?

All of that is relevant but what`s increasingly happening is the councils are contracting out the tips so if people are taking stuff from them it`s losing revenue ,when scrap prices were high there was a guard on the scrap skip at my local tip 

Then you have the litigation side and on top of that around my way the same company that has the contract for the tip owns the local incinerator power-station so you would be potentially be taking their fuel 

47 minutes ago, The Idiocrat said:

Exactly.  It's always been an unsaid perk -- and since the advent of ebay an increasingly valuable one.

This tip shop is actually the state 'taking tips off the staff'.  Not that I disagree with it, but at some point wages will have to rise to cover the loss of 'earnings'

As a 'tip' for the local councils -- the way to make money would be to take the 'tip shop stuff' (fancy stuff being thrown away) from the wealthy south-east and then sell it in places like Merthyr, and take the 'tip shop stuff' from Merthyr (lovely working-class memorabilia) and sell it in Surrey.

51 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Councillors seek only three things.

1) Back-handers.

2) Council houses for all their relatives.

3) Daft cunts who vote them in every few years...

XYY

This must be stopped, if people can buy perfectly usable used goods for cheap and avoid vat, government income and gpd will fall. Citizens should be encouraged to buy new at all costs.

1 hour ago, Long time lurking said:

All of that is relevant but what`s increasingly happening is the councils are contracting out the tips so if people are taking stuff from them it`s losing revenue ,when scrap prices were high there was a guard on the scrap skip at my local tip 

Then you have the litigation side and on top of that around my way the same company that has the contract for the tip owns the local incinerator power-station so you would be potentially be taking their fuel 

I know someone who works at a contracted out tip. They are not allowed to take anything and the company sacks anyone caught taking anything.

It's all about profit rather than doing the right thing.

They also have to be very strict on who is allowed to tip and what waste. This can get rather nasty when the pikeys turn up with a van load of stuff to dump. I was surprised that they even bother to take it to the tip.

Rather than providing a service and enabling recycling and reuse, it's all driven by profit.

And yet somewhere in the Council there wil be pats on backs and bonuses for driving down costs.

43 minutes ago, snaga said:

This must be stopped, if people can buy perfectly usable used goods for cheap and avoid vat, government income and gpd will fall. Citizens should be encouraged to buy new at all costs.

”Ending is better than mending. The more stitches the less riches"

Citizens! Do your duty!

17 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Went to the local tip once to get rid of a fridge and noticed someone had tipped a bike of the same model as mine, frame was bent. Mine had a broken front derailleur and I was about to order a new one. Wanted to take the derailleur off - Jobsworth wouldn;t allow me to do so. Pissed me right off.

Last week I went to the tip to get rid of some stuff and I saw a flymo tipped. Mine has a broken switch mechanism that needs a bodge everytime to use it. I thought, "if only I could take the switch mechanism" - but didn't bother to ask.

Edited by Hopeful

17 hours ago, wherebee said:

Believe it or not, this is so true.

I know someone who worked with a council's leisure services department. He spoke about their canoes being renewed. They had models which had been well looked after (they had to be) and were in excellent condition, but were being replaced as part of a rolling programme. These older ones were not just sent to the tip, but cut into three or four bits before they were dumped - so that no-one could use them. He said selling them second hand would've generated good money for their budget, but no, someone in legal services said there was a risk that the council might be sued by someone who had bought one of them. He was sick at seeing such good quality stuff going to landfill.

Nuts.  

11 minutes ago, Gordie Lastchance said:

Believe it or not, this is so true.

I know someone who worked with a council's leisure services department. He spoke about their canoes being renewed. They had models which had been well looked after (they had to be) and were in excellent condition, but were being replaced as part of a rolling programme. These older ones were not just sent to the tip, but cut into three or four bits before they were dumped - so that no-one could use them. He said selling them second hand would've generated good money for their budget, but no, someone in legal services said there was a risk that the council might be sued by someone who had bought one of them. He was sick at seeing such good quality stuff going to landfill.

Nuts.  

Seen that kind of shit happen time and time again.

My local tip used to sell stuff from a site office on the tip site. Now been 'improved' by moving the shop away from the easily accessible tip on an industrial estate and setting up a tip shop in the town centre where there is no parking and no one goes. My favourite tip purchases were good quality old British made spades and shovels at around £2 each. Judging by the aggressive attitude to anyone in a van and the bodycams, working at the tip must be on a par with working doors for chances of violence.

2 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Went to the local tip once to get rid of a fridge and noticed someone had tipped a bike of the same model as mine, frame was bent. Mine had a broken front derailleur and I was about to order a new one. Wanted to take the derailleur off - Jobsworth wouldn;t allow me to do so. Pissed me right off.

Last week I went to the tip to get rid of some stuff and I saw a flymo tipped. Mine has a broken switch mechanism that needs a bodge everytime to use it. I thought, "if only I could take the switch mechanism" - but didn't bother to ask.

The logistics of stripping stuff down for parts would require a waste store the size of the a dozen Wembley's.

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I think I read recently that Swansea Council has now begun proescuting people who take stuff from the recycling tip.

They have made it damn hard to leave stuff there. Completely fecked up Council.

Hard to fathom, they shrink the bins so you can’t fit anything in them but they’ll do you for fly tipping and now for taking their trash back of em 

i reckon go back to having bonfires in the back yard

as for the cheap cds etc I’ve had some awesome finds at my local tip shop the last few years, it does bring out the klepto in me... got some cool Betamax tapes the other week - Pink Floyd, The Who, Dire Straits etc plus some film reels of old steam trains and a taped radio interview with John Lennon which needs some investigating - I need someone with a reel to reel to listen to it 😀all for pennies

33 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

The logistics of stripping stuff down for parts would require a waste store the size of the a dozen Wembley's.

Yes,

But it would have taken me maximum of 3 minutes, if as long as that. And I always have a very basic small socket set, a set of allen keys and a couple of screwdrivers with me.

I hate waste, and I hate paying money for something, and I hate it when I know a free fix was within my grasp and so when i) I know I could have got it for free and ii) saved waste,  and iii) fixed it, it pisses me off for years afterwards xD

Edited by Hopeful

Just now, Hopeful said:

Yes,

But it would have taken me maximum of 3 minutes, if as long as that. And I always have a very basic small socket set, a set of allen keys and a couple of screwdrivers with me.

I hate waste, and I hate paying money for something, and I hate it when I know a free fix was within my grasp  so when i) I know I could have got it for free and ii) saved waste,  and iii) fixed it, it pisses me off for years afterwards xD

I deplore waste. I hate the fact millions of tons of good crap gets sent to be landfilled (or incincerated, whatever they do with it)

Fixing stuff is a massive part of sorting out the massive waste problem we have.

Repair, reuse, recycle, reduce, (I've seen refuse - as in refuse to have a straw etc but think people with confuse it with rubbish)

Fixing stuff doesn't increase GDP though.

We're being beaten to death with the tax stick to save the planet while the bastards in charge seem hell bent on destroying it by promoting the churning out of increasingly rubbish quality stuff that is lucky to last a year between shop and landfill.