• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Turned Out Nice Again

Female Linux sysadmins - AIBU?

... or sexist for my heart to drop every time one of them answers one of my support calls.

I've got a major Public sector website down now and am hanging on the line with a particularly clueless young woman. I should really record the internal dialogue that she is vocalizing accompanied by umm's, ahs, whistling ... WHYs? how come ... ? What the heck is going on? the logs say ... etc.

Jesus Christ lady! Get me a male colleague - preferably aged 40+ and USA-based as even the male UK ones (except the Eastern Europeans) are similarly fkn useless.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

I'm pretty sure its all a conspiracy. Everytime I go in the Screwfix, toolstation, or travis perkins, I am served by, usually, a petite young girl..who invariably has to refer to some burly guy sitting in the back to carry my stuff out. 

Meanwhile, the, er, "waitresses" down the wetherspoons are all burly men who have problems scooting between the tightly packed tables. 

Working in a trade merchants should be men only, IMO, just like working in the perfume dept should be women only. Its a defilement against the laws of nature to have it any other way. 

55 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

... or sexist for my heart to drop every time one of them answers one of my support calls.

I've got a major Public sector website down now and am hanging on the line with a particularly clueless young woman. I should really record the internal dialogue that she is vocalizing accompanied by umm's, ahs, whistling ... WHYs? how come ... ? What the heck is going on? the logs say ... etc.

Jesus Christ lady! Get me a male colleague - preferably aged 40+ and USA-based as even the male UK ones (except the Eastern Europeans) are similarly fkn useless.

Here's 40k of emergency consulting:

1) Whats the DNS name?

2) Does the DNS name resolve?

3) Can you ping the DNS name?

4) Can you ping the dot address?

5) Can you SSH to it?

6) Can you SSH to another machine in the same network, then SSH to the problem machine?

After that you need a warm body to reboot the machine and look at the boot console.

50 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Turned out that we were getting excessive traffic from a UK subnet, now blocked. She got there in the end. Fair play.

you found a unicorn, marry her.