• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Water water everywhere but not to flush the loo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480

A disabled mother from Yorkshire says she is so worried about the cost of water that she sometimes has to miss out on washing or flushing the toilet.

Shirley Widdop, from Keighley, whose bill, based on a water meter, has risen by 35%, says: "It's outrageous and like something from the 1930s." 

"We shouldn't have to ration water."

A report on poverty from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation shows that arrears for water bills are now the most common form of debt for the poorest families.

"I am on a water meter and because I'm on a low income I constantly worry about the bill being too high," says the 51-year-old, who lives with two of her children.

Water bills are a, um, drop in the ocean compared to electricity and gas so it seems a very strange thing to highlight.  It's like paying rent and council tax without complaint but stressing how expensive are replacement lightbulbs.

It looks like the usual scattergun approach to get more money taken off workers and given to non-workers.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Water bills are a, um, drop in the ocean compared to electricity and gas so it seems a very strange thing to highlight.  It's like paying rent and council tax without complaint but stressing how expensive are replacement lightbulbs.

It looks like the usual scattergun approach to get more money taken off workers and given to non-workers.

👍

26 minutes ago, dgul said:

There's much strange in that story -- all the individual bits don't add up.

They never do in these things though do they.

I've no doubt there is something to the underlying story, but they way it's always dressed up you just end up feeling manipulated and so less interested.

1 minute ago, gilf said:

They never do in these things though do they.

I've no doubt there is something to the underlying story, but they way it's always dressed up you just end up feeling manipulated and so less interested.

I'm surprised they didn't mention Brexit.

Although I'm sure the story was inspired by the recent scare story of alleged water shortages due to Brexit.

Just now, null; said:

I'm surprised they didn't mention Brexit.

Although I'm sure the story was inspired by the recent scare story of alleged water shortages due to Brexit.

If there is a water shortage, all everyone needs to do is put a bucket outside for a couple of hours. One thing the uk is not naturally short of is water. 

Mind with the number of new buildings going up everywhere, distribution of it is bound to become an issue at some point. 

Not sure I buy this as presented. Something about it seems manufactured. I get the feeling that the Masters of Oppression at the So-Called BBC are latching on to that recent bullshit UN report on poverty in the UK and are running with it.

They'll probably be a glut of stories like this for a while, squeezed in between such urgent articles as 'should we be listening to the offensive Christmas songs (today's contribution)' or 'My boyfriend/husband is a bastard'.

42 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

and actually United Utilities have masses of help for people struggling with their bills. Have been to one of the sessions for advice workers (Got some freebies lol) but also got leaflets for my local library.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Water bill is not a big one. I have a bath in April, and October.

7 hours ago, One percent said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46431480

A disabled mother from Yorkshire says she is so worried about the cost of water that she sometimes has to miss out on washing or flushing the toilet.

Shirley Widdop, from Keighley, whose bill, based on a water meter, has risen by 35%, says: "It's outrageous and like something from the 1930s." 

"We shouldn't have to ration water."

A report on poverty from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation shows that arrears for water bills are now the most common form of debt for the poorest families.

"I am on a water meter and because I'm on a low income I constantly worry about the bill being too high," says the 51-year-old, who lives with two of her children.

'Ms Widdop suffers from a disability, degenerative cervical myelopathy, which she says can cause incontinence.

This becomes even more upsetting when she has to worry about the cost of water, when she wants the dignity of being able to "clean herself up".'

So ...... she herself is not incontinent ....

https://twitter.com/psychologicsal?lang=en

Animal-loving, DCM-disabled OU psychology graduate, activist & anti-poverty campaigner dreaming of a more equitable and compassionate society.

http://www.myelopathy.org/swsymptomstodiagnosis.html

Hello there. My name is Shirley Widdop. I am 49 years old, a former nurse and Mum of three aged 20, 18 and 12. I live in West Yorkshire in the UK and I have had Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy (CSM) since May 2011. I underwent a C6/C7 Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion/Fixation (ACDF) in September 2012.

One kid gone, tax credits down. 2nd kid 18+, less tax credits.

Last remaining kid  ~14. Jolly coming to an end.

She had problem with a spine.

She was operated on.

The condition was halted althoughh, due to damage, she needs to walk with a stick.

She may be overplaying her disability for political purposes. Which also conincide with 2 of her kids no longer being entitled to tax credits.

Oh, she was a Nurse ...

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I feel sorry for the woman who has been manipulated by the journalist into broadcasting to the world her incontinence problem to make the journo a few quid.

Shes a campiagner.

28 minutes ago, spygirl said:

'Ms Widdop suffers from a disability, degenerative cervical myelopathy, which she says can cause incontinence.

https://www.unitedutilities.com/my-account/your-bill/difficulty-paying-your-bill/watersure/

That's fine if you live in UU's area. They'll help you with your bills. (And they have a grant scheme to get you a new cooker if yours breaks. Amazing.)

you, or any member of your household, have one of the following medical conditions, which causes significant extra water use:

• Desquamation (flaky skin disease)
  • weeping skin disease (eczema, psoriasis, varicose ulceration)
  • incontinence
  • abdominal stoma
  • Crohn's disease
  • ulcerative colitis
  • renal failure requiring home dialysis (except where the health authority contributes to the cost of the water used in dialysis)
  • other medical conditions can be accepted if the condition uses significant amounts of water and is supported by a signed certificate issued by a Doctor or registered practitioner

Im also becoming more attuned to kids ages and year gaps.

I am 49 years old, a former nurse and Mum of three aged 20, 18 and 12. 

1st @ 29

2nd @ 31

3rd @ 37

Nurse. assuming she started from school, qualified @ 22. Worked ~6 years before getting knocked up.

Off for 2-5 years with kids. Then another one, which popped out just around tax credits coming in, whne oldest was ~8. So a 3 kid bonus.

If I was a betting man, Id bet shes not worked more than 10 years.

4 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I know quite a few fairly posh people in rather large houses that only flush after number 2s.

A semi-permanent bowl of piss.

I do this. :$ Occasionally flush after a tinkle. 

15 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I know quite a few fairly posh people in rather large houses that only flush after number 2s.

A semi-permanent bowl of piss.

I'm not really posh, and I guess my house is only slightly larger than average, but I don't flush number ones ever. Unless we have guests.

Another spin on this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47620228

Within 25 years England will not have enough water to meet demand, the head of the Environment Agency is warning.

The impact of climate change, combined with population growth, means the country is facing an "existential threat", Sir James Bevan is expected to say in a speech.

He wants to see wasting water become "as socially unacceptable as blowing smoke in the face of a baby".

"We all need to use less water", he is expected to say at a London conference.

Sir James Bevan was appointed chief executive of the Environment Agency - the public body responsible for protecting the environment and wildlife in England - in 2015 after a career as a diplomat.

He is expected to say that, in around 20 to 25 years, England will reach the "jaws of death - the point at which, unless we take action to change things, we will not have enough water to supply our needs".

well, stop importing people you useless idiots. Water shortages in one of the wettest countries. Madness. 

I can see what the upcoming civil war will be about