• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

New UK embasssy

21 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt continues the expansion of the UK’s diplomatic network with the announcement of a new Embassy in Maldives

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/foreign-secretary-announces-new-uk-embassy-in-maldives

Don't know why it would need an embassy.  For a teeny place like the Maldives a consulate would be enough.  I can't imagine why it would require an ambassador -- surely the main requirement would be to sort out a few replacement passports and the odd drunk in prison overnight.

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

Don't know why it would need an embassy.  For a teeny place like the Maldives a consulate would be enough.  I can't imagine why it would require an ambassador -- surely the main requirement would be to sort out a few replacement passports and the odd drunk in prison overnight.

But think of the cost savings, all those Government and Council staff won't have to pay for hotels in exotic places to do their fact finding, now they can visit the maldives and stay as guests at the embassy while doing thier reseach. It will pay for itself in 6 months.

Edited by snaga

3 hours ago, dgul said:

Indian Ocean is hotting up militarily. Long the domain of the Brits and the US numerous other countries are aiming to become pre-dominant.  Plus there is the rise of fundamentalist islam in several areas. Maldives being an important part of an air bridge across the Indian Ocean, to Diego Garcia and also on to Oz / NZ.

It's surprising that the UK actually has enough independence and sovereignty to open a new embassy anywhere - or to have embassies at all - embassies are things for independent sovereign countries.  For example I don't think Scotland has any places overseas called embassies because Scotland is not an independent sovereign country. 

The whole situation is a total hotch potch - a sham.

Edited by twocents