• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Amazon Prime - take care

We used to have Amazon Prime, however I cancelled this months back.

I placed an order today for a couple of bits and - I'm not blind - feel sure I selected the standard delivery and also pressed the "No, thanks" button.

Order confirmations arrive along with my free trial of Amazon Prime.

Do take care when you're checking out.

Order cancelled, all payment cards removed. Currently on hold waiting for Amazon to close the account.

29 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Order cancelled, all payment cards removed. Currently on hold waiting for Amazon to close the account

I always want to remove my card details after an order, but there doesn't seem to ever be the option. I assume that they must (have to) let you, but have buried the option deep.

Edited by leggers
(have to)

Just an FYI I posted in another thread, Argos.co.uk do same-day deliveries for £4. I have been using them for smaller items, as long as it's ordered before midday IIRC it'll come between 2pm and 6pm. At least in my neck of the woods.

As for Amazon, I try not to use them. The glory days of free supersaver delivery are long gone (they purposely slow down such deliveries to non-Prime members IMO).

And for me at least, Amazon Logistics is staffed by the scummiest illegals you could ever meet. Turning up at my house at 9pm? Fuck that.

1 hour ago, DTMark said:

We used to have Amazon Prime, however I cancelled this months back.

I placed an order today for a couple of bits and - I'm not blind - feel sure I selected the standard delivery and also pressed the "No, thanks" button.

Order confirmations arrive along with my free trial of Amazon Prime.

Do take care when you're checking out.

Order cancelled, all payment cards removed. Currently on hold waiting for Amazon to close the account.

Easily done, the link on the Amazon payment screen that says "continue without the benefits of Amazon Prime" is rather small in comparison to the other button that completes payment but also subscribes you to Amazon Prime.

It's easy enough to cancel, I did, and also sent a message of complaint, they refunded my money almost immediately.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Turning up at my house at 9pm? Fuck that.

That is proof that you can never satisfy all of the people all of the time. I know quite a few people at Amazon who worked on setting up their delivery operation and the #1 reason for doing it was that the existing delivery companies couldn't offer guaranteed evening delivery times which Amazon needed because the biggest customer complaint was that they were never in during the day to take delivery. Funny old world!

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

That is proof that you can never satisfy all of the people all of the time. I know quite a few people at Amazon who worked on setting up their delivery operation and the #1 reason for doing it was that the existing delivery companies couldn't offer guaranteed evening delivery times which Amazon needed because the biggest customer complaint was that they were never in during the day to take delivery. Funny old world!

I wouldn't mind if they were British and/or not extremely shifty. Half the time I see them on the cameras and I can't tell if they're about to break in or deliver a parcel.

I also worry that they are being exploited, working such long hours.

1 minute ago, spunko said:

I wouldn't mind if they were British and/or not extremely shifty. Half the time I see them on the cameras and I can't tell if they're about to break in or deliver a parcel.

I’m at the edge of a town and break ins aren’t a high risk but I would feel very very sorry for someone who was out working on minimum wage to deliver stuff at 9pm. 

Going against dosbod groupthink here but I use amazon for most things. I don’t venture outside of what they sell into the fleabay version of amazon. I have prime. The free delivery and videos make that a bargain.

Whenever anything goes wrong, they put it right immediately. The last one was a portable hard drive. It never really worked from new but not that much that I questioned myself. After using it for three months or so, I’d had enough. Contacted them and they refunded immediately. No quibbles. 

Another recommendation for Argos from me that I posted in another thread, pay online and collect from store (if it is convenient for you) is so easy, they have a dedicated area and I was in and out within 2 minutes.

Just now, spunko said:

Definitely exploited, that's how Amazon works. Looking at the sign-up requirements it's hard to tell how careful they are about checking worth authorization:

Who can deliver for Amazon Flex?
We are looking for Delivery Partners who are at least 18 years old with a valid UK driving licence and a vehicle. You will need to be entitled to work in the UK and pass a background and criminal record check which includes, but is not limited to, a review of driving licence records. Current Amazon employees are not eligible to be Delivery Partners.

There seem to be obvious gaps in that - just borrow someone else's credentials - but maybe they do checks when people go to pick stuff up for delivery (would be easy to ID them each time for example). Again, knowing some of the people there, I'd be surprised if they weren't doing something. They may be absolute bastards but they're not generally criminals if they can avoid it.

@TheBlueCat indeed Amazon have got where they are by treating the customer like saints and the staff like shit.  Not judging but I don't think it's right to complain about things like migrant car washes or HMOs but then shop on Amazon. They pay no UK corp tax, no VAT, and their couriers send all the money home. They are cheap, but it comes at such a huge cost.

Both myself and the wife ended up inadvertently signed up for prime.

While I was initially annoyed at myself for somehow hitting the wrong button despite knowing they try this all the time.. it actually worked out quite well.

I immediately cancelled,   but they insisted on giving me prime membership for the full trial period despite cancelling the same day.

So I watch a month of prime (long enough to watch everything worth watching), and enjoyed free fast deliveries for a month.

True to their word it was all cancelled at the end and I wasn't charged a penny.

By the end of it I was actually glad they "got me",  though I still wouldn't pay full wack for it.

1 hour ago, Van Lady said:

I’m at the edge of a town and break ins aren’t a high risk but I would feel very very sorry for someone who was out working on minimum wage to deliver stuff at 9pm. 

I bung the person £5 when in their own car.  Especially given the remoteness. 

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, spunko said:

Argos.co.uk do same-day deliveries for £4

I don't think Argos gets the recognition it deserves.  Sounds simple but my experience of logistics is it's not.  The guy at the store explained it all to me.  So hat's off to them for going the extra mile.

3 minutes ago, Harley said:

I bung the person £5 when in their own car.  Especially given the remoteness. 

That's interesting. I would always tip a food delivery driver but never considered another one.

I very much doubt anyone else here has either.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

You must have some pretty super cameras which can do nationality recognition. Facial recog is hard enough. 

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's interesting. I would always tip a food delivery driver but never considered another one.

I very much doubt anyone else here has either.

Way I see it, I should pay for delivery and glad I don't do so to Amazon as I can give it to a screwed local instead.  These people deserve better.  We're all family out here!

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Going against dosbod groupthink here but I use amazon for most things. I don’t venture outside of what they sell into the fleabay version of amazon. I have prime. The free delivery and videos make that a bargain.

Whenever anything goes wrong, they put it right immediately. The last one was a portable hard drive. It never really worked from new but not that much that I questioned myself. After using it for three months or so, I’d had enough. Contacted them and they refunded immediately. No quibbles. 

Same here. Never had any problems and returned a lot.

They're successful for a reason.

Enough stuff to complain about in this world.

6 minutes ago, Harley said:

I don't think Argos gets the recognition it deserves.  Sounds simple but my experience of logistics is it's not.  The guy at the store explained it all to me. 

Sainsbury's mainly bought into Argos to have access to their logistics.

Never really had a problem with Amazon except with them sending out censored CDs in lieu of Parental Advisory Warning explicit lyrics versions. I once was sent four separate copies of Rihanna's Loud after complaining each time that I wanted the explicit lyrics version, each time they sent out a returns label, but I received exactly the same disc every time. It was clearly listed as explicit lyrics when ordered.

The only time I've ever had problems cancelling a subscription was Premier Sports. I won't ever sign up with them again because of it.

3 hours ago, DTMark said:

Happened to me only on Monday.  Second time.  Had to look really hard to find the "no thanks" button.  Tried it once and it was rubbish.  All the good video stuff seemed to be only for the US market.  Fun and games cancelling it too.  And now they sent me a plastic card with another offer.  Cut it up and binned it.  Reminded me of the crazy days when the loan companies would send you a cheque.

1 minute ago, Fischer said:

Same here. Never had any problems and returned a lot.

They're successful for a reason.

Enough stuff to complain about in this world.

Funded by CIA. Total bastards with this Prime thing :

Would you like a Prime free trial? No

Are you sure you don't want a free Prime trial? Yes 

Are you certain you don't not want to decline a free Prime trial? Ahfuk

Still like buying their shit though

Placed a big order this week.  Everything free delivey except two items.  Caused them to be quite expensive.  Looked around, including the manufacture's own website and got both a lot cheaper, both with free delivery.  Also noted a four pack of something at a "special" price but did the maths and it was cheaper to buy four of the single items!

Edited by Harley