• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

1980s photos of Manchester

Great memories - Thanks Sarah:)

One good thing to come out from gov from 97 was the rejuvenation of the big cities(CBD) in the North.

Mcr - Brum - Liv - Leeds - Newcastle 

Edited by mattydread

43 minutes ago, JFK said:

The infamous Hulme crescents ... yes, fucking grim.

But full of vibrant lovely people.
And cockroaches. The stories people tell about them.
The guy who had the shop opposite the Rolls Royce pub was interesting.  

So uncongested compared to now.  An infrastructure in place to serve a national population of c55m as opposed to 80m today.  

Just now, Ina said:

So uncongested compared to now.  An infrastructure in place to serve a national population of c55m as opposed to 80m today.  

A bit off topic but yesterday I did a 70 mile journey which sadly took in the top part of the M25, from the m3 forwards. In ideal traffic, I guess it would take just over the hour given that most of the journey was motorway. 

Three and a half bloody hours it took. The m25 was like a car park. 

I do that journey on a semi regular basis but have never seen it like that. There wasn’t even an accident to explain it, it was sheer volume of traffic. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

A bit off topic but yesterday I did a 70 mile journey which sadly took in the top part of the M25, from the m3 forwards. In ideal traffic, I guess it would take just over the hour given that most of the journey was motorway. 

I do that journey on a semi regular basis but have never seen it like that. There wasn’t even an accident to explain it, it was sheer volume of traffic. 

It was your car that caused it.

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agreed.  Every town, city and major motorway is gridlocked from 7am to 9.30am Monday to Friday and again from 3.15 to 6.30.  I have started to plan my journeys more and more carefully.  School drop off and pick up is now worse than rush hour.  The ring road round Bradford is something else.  Built in the 70s to serve a controlled indigenous population it is no longer fit for purpose.

1 minute ago, Ina said:

Agreed.  Every town, city and major motorway is gridlocked from 7am to 9.30am Monday to Friday and again from 3.15 to 6.30.  I have started to plan my journeys more and more carefully.  School drop off and pick up is now worse than rush hour.  The ring road round Bradford is something else.  Built in the 70s to serve a controlled indigenous population it is no longer fit for purpose.

Of interest in this is exactly how much it is costing employers and businesses. That three and a half hours yesterday was not my commute but was traveling from a job. So that’s half a day when I wasn’t productive. Extrapolate that out to everyone stuck in traffic, the lorries, etc and this is costing business a massive amount. 

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

But full of vibrant lovely people.
And cockroaches. The stories people tell about them.
The guy who had the shop opposite the Rolls Royce pub was interesting.  

Typical example of the cheaply built neo brutalist Soviet style public housing so beloved of 1970's Labour politicians that had a life span of about two decades. When I used to travel through Hulme on the bus in the late 1980s my thought was why did not the people riot every day of the week. My sister in law lived on the Marquess Estate in North London that also had a bad reputation for crime, vandalism etc in the 1980s but it was nowhere near as depressing to visit as Hulme  

6 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Miles Platting railway station.

Made famous by Leo Sayer in his song Moonlighting. Should be a blue plaque.

Boardwalk lager fine quality.

I saw Miles Platting performing live at the Haçienda 51.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

Of interest in this is exactly how much it is costing employers and businesses. That three and a half hours yesterday was not my commute but was traveling from a job. So that’s half a day when I wasn’t productive. Extrapolate that out to everyone stuck in traffic, the lorries, etc and this is costing business a massive amount. 

I have a memory of certain groups saying building more roads will only attract more traffic. That is the biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard, it's the lack of capacity for our current mode of transport.

1 minute ago, Kwyjibo said:

I have a memory of certain groups saying building more roads will only attract more traffic. That is the biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard, it's the lack of capacity for our current mode of transport.

It's kind of true. If there are no roads then there's no traffic at all.

xD