• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

1980s photos of Manchester

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, One percent said:

Of interest in this is exactly how much it is costing employers and businesses. That three and a half hours yesterday was not my commute but was traveling from a job. So that’s half a day when I wasn’t productive. Extrapolate that out to everyone stuck in traffic, the lorries, etc and this is costing business a massive amount. 

Indeed. They go on about the (remarkably few) billions immigrants supposedly add to the economy, and also mention the billions congestion costs us...

http://inrix.com/press-releases/traffic-congestion-to-cost-the-uk-economy-more-than-300-billion-over-the-next-16-years/

Population growth: Population growth is the largest driver of road travel demand in the UK. London alone will experience a 20 percent population increase, rising from 8.4 million people in 2013 to 10.1 million in 2030

 

Thing about congestion is a little bit below capacity and a little bit above makes a huge difference. The roads into Cambridge are dire most the time. Except for school holidays. While not quiet then, it does tend to be tolerable. You keep moving, at least, if not quite at the posted speed limit. Instead of spending 90% of your time not moving, 10% actually moving. There can't be that many mums driving kids to private school, can there? And yet it makes a huge difference. 

 

Perhaps we should try banning all foreign born people from driving one day, and see how much difference it makes?! If the problems suddenly go away, deport, deport, deport. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Indeed. They go on about the (remarkably few) billions immigrants supposedly add to the economy, and also mention the billions congestion costs us...

http://inrix.com/press-releases/traffic-congestion-to-cost-the-uk-economy-more-than-300-billion-over-the-next-16-years/

Population growth: Population growth is the largest driver of road travel demand in the UK. London alone will experience a 20 percent population increase, rising from 8.4 million people in 2013 to 10.1 million in 2030

 

Thing about congestion is a little bit below capacity and a little bit above makes a huge difference. The roads into Cambridge are dire most the time. Except for school holidays. While not quiet then, it does tend to be tolerable. You keep moving, at least, if not quite at the posted speed limit. Instead of spending 90% of your time not moving, 10% actually moving. There can't be that many mums driving kids to private school, can there? And yet it makes a huge difference. 

 

Perhaps we should try banning all foreign born people from driving one day, and see how much difference it makes?! If the problems suddenly go away, deport, deport, deport. 

 

My bold, but this exactly. Notice on a rainy day in winter that traffic gets way worse. Combination of some people ditching the bus etc or driving their kids to school to save them getting drenched plus bit more hesitation at roundabouts etc.  There can't be that many extra cars but once you reach a particular threshold then the whole system starts to fail. Bit like an economy really :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

There can't be that many mums driving kids to private school, can there? And yet it makes a huge difference. 

Perhaps we should try banning all foreign born people from driving one day, and see how much difference it makes?

I think the biggest difference when comparing the congestion of today to the relatively open roads of 1970s and 1980s is that more households now have two or more cars.

I doubt recent immigrants are the biggest cause of congestion, except for some EEs most of them take the train, bus, or taxi.

We should never have allowed women to drive unless accompanied by a man. To give lifts to or from the pub or the football, that sort of thing. Allowing women to take children to school has massively increased congestion, pollution, parking problems, and accidents. I would make children cycle, walk, or if far away, take a bus. This could also positively impact general health and reduce childhood obesity levels.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, One percent said:

A bit off topic but yesterday I did a 70 mile journey which sadly took in the top part of the M25, from the m3 forwards. In ideal traffic, I guess it would take just over the hour given that most of the journey was motorway. 

Three and a half bloody hours it took. The m25 was like a car park. 

I do that journey on a semi regular basis but have never seen it like that. There wasn’t even an accident to explain it, it was sheer volume of traffic. 

Probably Christmas shoppers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I think the biggest difference when comparing the congestion of today to the relatively open roads of 1970s and 1980s is that more households now have two or more cars.

I doubt recent immigrants are the biggest cause of congestion, except for some EEs most of them take the train, bus, or taxi.

We should never have allowed women to drive unless accompanied by a man. To give lifts to or from the pub or the football, that sort of thing. Allowing women to take children to school has massively increased congestion, pollution, parking problems, and accidents. I would make children cycle, walk, or if far away, take a bus. This could also positively impact general health and reduce childhood obesity levels.

 

Not just on the roads.

I had to try and deal with the lazy cunts driving on the pavements by the school - not parking ,driving. All down to the road traffic being stuck as there are so many other fat fucks just parked in the road, letting their kids out. So later arriving fat cunt drives down the road, just to get 100m closer to the school.

1m radius ban on parents parking or driving near school. Enforce with with parents and cameras. £100 fine.

And, no, these are not parents 'rushing off to work'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Not just on the roads.

I had to try and deal with the lazy cunts driving on the pavements by the school - not parking ,driving. All down to the road traffic being stuck as there are so many other fat fucks just parked in the road, letting their kids out. So later arriving fat cunt drives down the road, just to get 100m closer to the school.

1m radius ban on parents parking or driving near school. Enforce with with parents and cameras. £100 fine.

And, no, these are not parents 'rushing off to work'

Not walking is the way forward. A bit like pizza home delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Here's me and my friends collecting slugs. We put them on tramlines and waited for a tram to pass.  Cheaper than sliced pepperoni.

If people want older pics of Manchester, check out the Manchester Library Photo Archives

webmedia.php?irn=5861&reftable=ecatalogu

I bet every one of those, as adults, could bore you rigid with tales of happy their childhoods were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eight said:

I bet every one of those, as adults, could bore you rigid with tales of happy their childhoods were.

My era, my area, and it was a happy childhood. That scene is so familiar too me and happened on almost every street. My world as a 6 year old extended approximately 400 metres from our house up and down the street. lots of other kids of a similar age and nobody had anything so no jealousy. Out playing in the summer holidays from 8am until dusk. No allergies, stress, ADHD, autism etc, you were normal or odd, good or bad, bright or thick, strong or weak but nobody cared.

Suitably bored yet or should I go on?:Old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Option5 said:

My era, my area, and it was a happy childhood. That scene is so familiar too me and happened on almost every street. My world as a 6 year old extended approximately 400 metres from our house up and down the street. lots of other kids of a similar age and nobody had anything so no jealousy. Out playing in the summer holidays from 8am until dusk. No allergies, stress, ADHD, autism etc, you were normal or odd, good or bad, bright or thick, strong or weak but nobody cared.

Suitably bored yet or should I go on?:Old:

That sounds lovely. I pulled my mate Neil off a wall, by his legs, and he had to go to hospital, with a cracked bum bone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On lethal games, if you thought swingball was a bit dodgy( you know hitting your knee with the bat) lamppost swinging became a version of body conkers once you have two ropes. Manchester circa 1955..

EM5CY6.thumb.jpg.7556eacf13df7aeeddb29565e99ceb51.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

On lethal games, if you thought swingball was a bit dodgy( you know hitting your knee with the bat) lamppost swinging became a version of body conkers once you have two ropes. Manchester circa 1955..

EM5CY6.thumb.jpg.7556eacf13df7aeeddb29565e99ceb51.jpg

That picture breaks my heart. Look at the smile on that lad's face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

It brings tears to my eyes. His too, as he is about to get his testicles crushed against a lamp-post.

Yes, a friend of mine is from Manchester. He was putting up an antenna on his roof when he slipped, he was saved by his bollocks crashing into a chimney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

If you can't be arsed to scan the bloody photo upright, you could at least have tilted it the other way to compensate for the camera being tilted as well.

You are of course assuming that I scanned it :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.