• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

TheBlueCat

Email Writing Style

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why you asking? Eh?

Ha! Just had an email in this category from someone I work with and I’m debating whether I should tell her that her email style is stopping her from getting her job done properly because it pisses too many people off. The ask is reasonable but the tone makes me want to put her on auto-delete.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Ha! Just had an email in this category from someone I work with and I’m debating whether I should tell her that her email style is stopping her from getting her job done properly because it pisses too many people off. The ask is reasonable but the tone makes me want to put her on auto-delete.

Are they sending it from their phone?

Somebody mentioned to me that my phone emails were abrupt to the point of rudeness but this was because I found the phone keyboard (iPhone 3) so hard to use that I dispensed with polite introductions and softening phrases.  I stopped using my phone for email; problem solved.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Somebody mentioned to me that my phone emails were abrupt to the point of rudeness but this was because I found the phone keyboard (iPhone 3) so hard to use that I dispensed with polite introductions and softening phrases.  I stopped using my phone for email; problem solved.

There is also the issue of who you are sending them to. If a member of the close team, then you can do away with pleasantries and get straight to the point. It to people you don’t work closely with on a day to day basis, you need to be more emollient. 

19 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Why is it that some people’s emails, regardless of the underlying intent, always read like a threat? Is it just me or have others experienced this phenomenon?

Yes there are 8 people who annoy me like that. You 1 off 8?

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

There is also the issue of who you are sending them to. If a member of the close team, then you can do away with pleasantries and get straight to the point. It to people you don’t work closely with on a day to day basis, you need to be more emollient. 

Repped for a cracking word!

2 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Yes there are 8 people who annoy me like that. You 1 off 8?

Unless you live in Canada, unlikely....

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

No, definitely desktop (in this instance).

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Lots of people use email as a means of control, sratus and even bullying. 

I have found that the weakest, most deranged and insecure colleagues have found that email gave them the balls to try and exact revenge. It is easy to hide behind. It got to a point at one place I worked that everyone was having to cc emails to a senior manager. Silly cunts. 

I think our internal monologue doesn't always translate that well into written word, and that can be hugely exacerbated by the speed of reading and responding to email. To counter this I think most of us probably err on the side of caution, but some people just don't realise that what they mean and how they sound can be very different things.

That's what I always tell myself when I hit the send button on an email consisting of the single sentence, "fuck off you cunt."

5 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Do you live near the coast? I could send some buoys.

Toronto, so right on the coast of....... Lake Ontario.

2 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I think our internal monologue doesn't always translate that well into written word, and that can be hugely exacerbated by the speed of reading and responding to email. To counter this I think most of us probably err on the side of caution, but some people just don't realise that what they mean and how they sound can be very different things.

That's what I always tell myself when I hit the send button on an email consisting of the single sentence, "fuck off you cunt."

Haven’t we all wanted to send that one to a work colleague at some point in our lives!

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

1 of 8 = wanna fight

I’ve been out of the country for too long to get that one!

9 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I’ve been out of the country for too long to get that one!

I thought you got my attempt at being a bit threatening but thought you were too far away for a fight. That's why I was sending someone to break your legs.

I really dont like email, and I hate the phone even more (how do I hold down a job!), but I use email all day so tend to write longer emails than most. A colleagues emails always come across so agressive when he is not trying to be. I think it's the emphasis on different words that can be misread in a short email that a longer email can resolve. I despise texting.

Edited by Kwyjibo
spelling! bloody emails :-)

I have found Americans abrupt by email, no pleases and thank yous. Some communicated solely by SHOUTY EMAILS ALL IN CAPITALS WITH UNBLINDING INFORMATION IN THE SUBJECT LINE :wanker:. One colleague in the states whose work I was reviewing had done the whole analysis wrong so sent him a polite email just between the 2 of us phrased as a question (because as a woman I find it helps to phrase things in a deferential way to older men). He replied angrily ccing in the manager resulting in a lengthy email exchange debating the interpretation of matrices and eigenvectors which resulted in him getting sacked.

On the other hand I love working for Japanese companies because their communication is always polite.

2 minutes ago, maudit said:

I have found Americans abrupt by email, no pleases and thank yous. Some communicated solely by SHOUTY EMAILS ALL IN CAPITALS WITH UNBLINDING INFORMATION IN THE SUBJECT LINE :wanker:. One colleague in the states whose work I was reviewing had done the whole analysis wrong so sent him a polite email just between the 2 of us phrased as a question (because as a woman I find it helps to phrase things in a deferential way to older men). He replied angrily ccing in the manager resulting in a lengthy email exchange debating the interpretation of matrices and eigenvectors which resulted in him getting sacked.

On the other hand I love working for Japanese companies because their communication is always polite.

The thing I really, really hate about email is when people just don’t bother to respond. That happens a lot in my field. I don’t know if it is peculiar to us, but if it is a bit of a problem, they don’t fancy bothering with the request or issue, they just don’t respond. I hate it.  

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

My phone jist types the words it wishes to.

Ah, you are on crapple too. 

I managed to send an email about washing from my phone. To a group email. o.O

3 minutes ago, maudit said:

I worked for a US company back in the early 90's and was warned I would only get a one word answer to any of my email's explaining the issue at hand. They were right, whether they took in to consideration any of the points I raised was another thing.

I never bother about rude emails, I just respond politely, it annoys them more.

Got one not long ago from a guy who's document i'd checked and commented on. He described me as pedantic and nit picking and he'd cc'd everyone

I just replied to all agreeing with him but that's my job. I also pointed out that 'pedantic and nit picking' was a tautalology. :)