• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

I've seen the future - it has 4 parking spaces

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/01/google-submits-plans-million-sq-ft-london-hq-construction-kings-cross

I have an ongoing argument on TOS about the Thames valley.

My hypothesis is the entire M4 corridor is fcked over as the high paying jobs are in London, that the level of congestion is beyond doable.

I reckon any alrge scale employee is going to be based near main line trains stations in cities.

Google has officially submitted plans for its new 92,000-square metre “landscraper”

Dubbed a “landscraper”, the finished building will be longer than the Shard is tall.

Landscraper - nice.

So they're going to gobble up loads of London land that could be otherwise used towards housing - presumably just because they can.

Loadsamoney!  Congestions R Us.

💰

Edited by twocents

I disagree - it's in the heart of London and any homes that would be built there would just be sold to rich Arabs to flip anyway.

It's a stunning building. I really dislike Google and their monopoly, but credit where it's due, they've done very well (a shame they don't pay tax)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/01/google-submits-plans-million-sq-ft-london-hq-construction-kings-cross#img-1

How many people could be brought out of poverty if they paid their £300m in tax they avoid or whatever it is?

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Google don't know I've been successfully tricking their bots as a day job for about 6 years now.

So how come I'm doing all the work on here weeding-out the PS4 and Diet Pepsi merchants then...?

And I don't even get friggin' paid for it...!

Lord and master indeed...

;)

XYY

36 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I disagree - it's in the heart of London and any homes that would be built there would just be sold to rich Arabs to flip anyway.

It's a stunning building. I really dislike Google and their monopoly, but credit where it's due, they've done very well (a shame they don't pay tax)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/01/google-submits-plans-million-sq-ft-london-hq-construction-kings-cross#img-1

How many people could be brought out of poverty if they paid their £300m in tax they avoid or whatever it is?

It's not exactly prime London (used to be famed for its prostitution and stabbings) although the area has undergone massive regeneration in the last decade (presumably because it was "relatively" cheap). It's really going to look sad next to the beautiful St Pancras terminal.

Edit to add:  It ties in nicely with HS2 though.  Those 7,000 employees can all live in Manchester / Milton Keynes / Cambridge / Birmingham.

Edited by The Generation Game