• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Southmartin

Anyone bought/tested the Apple Homepod

38 minutes ago, spunko said:

Why not spend a bit more and get a Naim QB?  Apple are shyte for audio quality if you're going to be spending in that bracket. Plus, Naim are British.

Very nice - would it also work as a soundbar?

17 hours ago, spunko said:

Why not spend a bit more and get a Naim QB?  Apple are shyte for audio quality if you're going to be spending in that bracket. Plus, Naim are British.

I imagine this British stuff is made in China, like that "Cambridge Audio" piece of shit I bought once, for a British price.

Naim make excellent stuff. Never had a fault with any of mine and I have lots of it. The oldest I have is a power amp made in 1980 which is still sounding fantastic although it does get serviced as needed.

Just now, NTB said:

Naim make excellent stuff. Never had a fault with any of mine and I have lots of it. The oldest I have is a power amp made in 1980 which is still sounding fantastic although it does get serviced as needed.

Ah 1980, when British stuff was actually British. Can you fry eggs on it like my old Quad 405?

Just now, MrPin said:

Ah 1980, when British stuff was actually British. Can you fry eggs on it like my old Quad 405?

Not quite. It gets pretty warm after an enthusiastic session but never too hot to touch. 

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

You haven't turned it up enough then?O.o

I have it plenty loud at times. :) The Quad 405 is a partial Class A design (iirc) which is why it gets so hot. I'd love the room to have a classic Quad setup with ESL57's as a second system but I can't because our rulers like high house prices.

1 minute ago, NTB said:

I have it plenty loud at times. :) The Quad 405 is a partial Class A design (iirc) which is why it gets so hot. I'd love the room to have a classic Quad setup with ESL57's as a second system but I can't because our rulers like high house prices.

Actually mine were Mark 2's which didn't get so hot. I don't have the space now, and nobody in Wales wanted to hear me playing Van der Graaf Generator at 02:00.

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Actually mine were Mark 2's which didn't get so hot. I don't have the space now, and nobody in Wales wanted to hear me playing Van der Graaf Generator at 02:00.

Not heard them for decades. I think I have a copy of H to He tucked away. Might have to dig it out later.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

I imagine this British stuff is made in China, like that "Cambridge Audio" piece of shit I bought once, for a British price.

It's made in France or the UK I believe. Once you see the prices of some of their stuff, you will believe it Pin. The QB is the cheapest product they make I think.   :o

21 hours ago, Southmartin said:

Looking to replace my wired Eclipse TD speakers, and am hoping the Homepod is better than the crappy Amazon and Sonos kit

Ease of use/setup is key... don't anyone suggest a pair of Nautilus - this is DODBODS ok?

Whats wrong with Sonos? Admittedly I only have the speakers in the kitchen and bedroom - but they're pretty decent, had them for years and struggle to beat the combo of ease of use, software integration and quality

29 minutes ago, ste said:

Whats wrong with Sonos? Admittedly I only have the speakers in the kitchen and bedroom - but they're pretty decent, had them for years and struggle to beat the combo of ease of use, software integration and quality

It's a forum, therefore any brand of pretty much anything, will get slagged off by someone. 

I agree with you on Sonos. I've only got 2 play ones, paired. For the money and their size, they are outstanding. 

Sonos are okay, I have a Play 3. I do think they're a bit overpriced though, for the sound quality you get out of them. But they are easy to setup and pair etc. By the time you've got one you'll need another to get the kind of experience you need in a fairly large room - so that's £400 odd gone. May as well have got a decent Japanese one in the first place IMO.

I tend to only really consider Sennheiser or Naim for audio stuff personally, I'm no audiophile but I do like crisp sound. Some of the prices are crazy though.

And, several brands, like BOSE or Beats by Dre etc generally are just marketing bollocks. As long as you avoid them and opt for a Japenese brand you should be okay.

6 hours ago, MrPin said:

"Christ! Someone's playing an LP in the middle of the night! What's the time?"

"5/4. It's Van der Graaf Generator."

6 hours ago, spunko said:

It's made in France or the UK I believe. Once you see the prices of some of their stuff, you will believe it Pin. The QB is the cheapest product they make I think.   :o

Naim and it's R&D are based in Salisbury. I don't know where their manufacturing is done though.

On 06/12/2018 at 15:15, Southmartin said:

Looking to replace my wired Eclipse TD speakers, and am hoping the Homepod is better than the crappy Amazon and Sonos kit

Ease of use/setup is key... don't anyone suggest a pair of Nautilus - this is DODBODS ok?

What's wrong with the current speakers?

Given the nature of your current stuff, do you really think that a mass-market glorified internet radio is going to make you happy?

On 07/12/2018 at 09:26, MrPin said:

You could get a top spec Bentley with a Naim stereo system factory fitted for a very British price indeed.