• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Suffragettes

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/17276992.now-saddleworth-lays-claim-to-annie-kenney/

one of the comments

Perhaps Springhead could honour the other Kenney suffragettes ignored by Oldham - Jessie, Kitty and Jennie!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessie_Kenney
Jessica "Jessie" Kenney (1887 – 1985) was a British suffragette who was jailed for assaulting the British prime minister and the Home Secretary as they played golf. She was protesting to gain votes for women in Britain. She and her sister's flat contained details of a bombing campaign to support their cause. These were discovered by the authorities when Kenney was sent abroad to convalesce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Kenney

Caroline "Kitty" Kenney (1880 - 1952) was the sister of Annie Kenney, one of the most well known British suffragettes to go on hunger strike,[1] for whom the Blaythwayts planted commemorative trees[2] in their Eagle House garden in Batheaston.

Jennie
https://www.bathintime.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/28686

Jennie Kenney was ill from appendicitis and was nursed at Eagle House by her sister Kitty. They are beside Tsuga mertensiana, planted the day before. From a unique collection of glass plate negatives taken by Col Linley Blathwayt of Eagle House Batheaston, home of refuge for suffragettes between 1908 and 1912.

In 1916 the Lennox School, a primary school to prepare girls to enter the Finch School, was founded in New York.[6] The Lennox School employed Kitty and Jennie Kenney as joint heads until they retired in 1929.[4]

If your family name was Kenney why on earth would you name your daughter Jennie :o

2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

If your family name was Kenney why on earth would you name your daughter Jennie :o

Jennifer I'd imagine but to not assume it would be shortened to Jennie is another thing entirely.

(Her sisters were Caroline ("Kitty", Ann (Annie) and Jane (Jennie). Annie and Jessie )

So Ann and Annie?
Has someone messed up wiki?

No Jennie is a real name I know somebody. She doesn't like being called Jenny which I think as you say probably is short for Jennifer. 

I love reminding people that this year is actually the 100 year anniversary of the end of men's suffrage - whilst 2028 will be that of women. 

The look of shock is palpable. 

Think I learned about this mass lie being propogated across this country by almost every media or political oulet on this place. 

11 minutes ago, ccc said:

I love reminding people that this year is actually the 100 year anniversary of the end of men's suffrage - whilst 2028 will be that of women. 

The look of shock is palpable. 

Think I learned about this mass lie being propogated across this country by almost every media or political oulet on this place. 

The vast majority of British men who died in WW1 did not have the vote.

Many of the suffragettes played key roles in the white feather campaign to ostracise men and shame them into signing up - even to the point of targetting injured veterans who had fought and had been invalided out of the forces. Some of those men rejoined and were subsequently killed in battle.

Next time a fem nazi talks about the vote remind them of the above.

20 hours ago, Funn3r said:

I had a school teacher whose first name was the same as his surname. Won't put the real name here, but imagine someone called David David. 

He did actually change it while I was a student. The change wasnt much better though, alliteration abound, imagine David Donut. 

Knew a girl named Dawn because her posh parents disliked shortened names and thought Dawn was pretty safe. Other kids soon shortened it to "Dawnie" :D

2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Knew a girl named Dawn because her posh parents disliked shortened names and thought Dawn was pretty safe. Other kids soon shortened it to "Dawnie" :D

Did you ever get up at the crack of Dawn?

Just now, sukuinage said:

Did you ever get up at the crack of Dawn?

Tut, lowering the tone of our historical discussion about female suffrage. 

Yes I did as it happens.