• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Poseidon

Onkyo AV amp needs looking at.

Question

Mate posted me this as he'd bought a new one.(some while back) 

Onkyo TX-SR806 THX Ultra2 Plus 7.1 A/V Receiver

Onkyo TX-SR806 Receiver

And parcel force seemed to have dropped it as there was a dent on the corner where there wasn't one before. 
Anyhow it seems to turn on and work but no sound comes out. Could be a simple fix or not. 
Does anyone from the NEast(near Darlington) know if anyone looks at these sorts of things anymore. 
It's prob only worth 150 quid so not really worth spending too much on it. But it's a shame cause it used to be a fine amplyfier. 

9 answers to this question

Good chance that the components themselves are still OK, they are generally not that susceptible to shock. Most likely issue is that as there are some weighty components on the PCB itself (transformer in particular) then the fall will have cracked the PCB and split a track or created a dry joint in one or more of the component solder joints. Likewise maybe the soldered wire connections to the outlets may also be an issue.   Certainly worth lid off PCB out of the case and an inspection and a quick trace of power /signals across the board.

Looking at the unit itself there seem to be ribbon cables and alike inside - might even be worth you taking the lid off and having a look around and pushing down all cables as could be as simple as a dislodged one if really lucky.

image.png.0e39b589955996b93ff3ac092da0b17b.png

Yes, I had an 808, and it went dead about a month after its two year guarantee expired. I sent it to the Onkyo place in Swindon, and it came back all fixed for nothing. Well done Onkyo. There is a recurring problem with the HDMI switching board.

On 07/12/2018 at 15:18, onlyme said:

Good chance that the components themselves are still OK, they are generally not that susceptible to shock. Most likely issue is that as there are some weighty components on the PCB itself (transformer in particular) then the fall will have cracked the PCB and split a track or created a dry joint in one or more of the component solder joints. Likewise maybe the soldered wire connections to the outlets may also be an issue.   Certainly worth lid off PCB out of the case and an inspection and a quick trace of power /signals across the board.

Looking at the unit itself there seem to be ribbon cables and alike inside - might even be worth you taking the lid off and having a look around and pushing down all cables as could be as simple as a dislodged one if really lucky.

image.png.0e39b589955996b93ff3ac092da0b17b.png

First thing I did. Stripped out all the boards. None of them looked damaged. 

Put them all back together reseating all the connectors but no joy. Same as before. 

On 08/12/2018 at 06:50, MrPin said:

Yes, I had an 808, and it went dead about a month after its two year guarantee expired. I sent it to the Onkyo place in Swindon, and it came back all fixed for nothing. Well done Onkyo. There is a recurring problem with the HDMI switching board.

Yep. It seems the HDMI main chip is soldered badly and disconnects requiring some mysterious soldering technique to resolder it. My big blobby ham fisted attempts at soldering (more farmers trailer welding than soldering) are not going to cut it.

But having said that no sounds come out when using the AV inputs which I would assume don't go through the HDMI board. Could be talking balleaux though. 

Cheers

Edited by Poseidon

16 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Put them all back together reseating all the connectors but no joy. Same as before. 

Yep. It seems the HDMI main chip is soldered badly and disconnects requiring some mysterious soldering technique to resolder it. My big blobby ham fisted attempts at soldering (more farmers trailer welding than soldering) are not going to cut it.

But having said that no sounds come out when using the AV inputs which I would assume don't go through the HDMI board. Could be talking balleaux though. 

Cheers

Ah OK, you've already done the vis and cable check. There's tricks with soldering, plenty of flux to reflow leaded surface mount parts and skating the iron over the leads seams unintuitive but does work as surface tension of the solder does all the work for you, Louis Rossman's vids and decent flux and nice shaped soldering tip and the job is surprisingly easy once you know the technique and go carefully. BGA's and balled chips and to a certain other unleaded edge pinned components different kettle of fish.

On 10/12/2018 at 15:08, Poseidon said:

Cheers

have a look on Ebay for an HDMI board

Or, as a not so long shot, have a look at the capacitors on the HDMI board, have they popped. ?

the is a huge global problem with capacitors from a few years back that is causing equipment failures.

I've replaced capacitors on a few bits of kit built around that time and aroused many a dead  piece of my equipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Edited by Hopeful

8 hours ago, Hopeful said:

have a look on Ebay for an HDMI board

Or, as a not so long shot, have a look at the capacitors on the HDMI board, have they popped. ?

the is a huge global problem with capacitors from a few years back that is causing equipment failures.

I've replaced capacitors on a few bits of kit built around that time and aroused many a dead  piece of my equipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Yes, some of them were not up to spec.