• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

AlfredTheLittle

Grimsby

Anyone know much about Grimsby? I've been looking at houses on Rightmove around there, surprised to see how affordable they are, many seem to be at around 2004 prices - being a southerner I didn't have a clue that you could still buy 3 bedroom houses for well under £100k (some as low as £40k!). The houses look quite nice to me. I'd like a small terraced house in any case, cheap to maintain. What's the catch with the area? 

5 minutes ago, Dim Ray said:

Anyone know much about Grimsby? I've been looking at houses on Rightmove around there, surprised to see how affordable they are, many seem to be at around 2004 prices - being a southerner I didn't have a clue that you could still buy 3 bedroom houses for well under £100k (some as low as £40k!). The houses look quite nice to me. I'd like a small terraced house in any case, cheap to maintain. What's the catch with the area? 

Spend a day in that area about a year ago. Cleethorpes seemed nicer, with its fair share of leafy neighbourhoods. Grimsby centre seemed chav central, mixed with the usual complement of Romanian street loiterers. 

I mean, I guess Grimsby is no worse than any other working class town, its just more isolated perhaps, which limits commuting choices. 

Personally i'd be wary about terraces given so many dysfunctional welfare types might get put next to you, but I guess thats a risk everywhere. 

If you are just relocating to the area and employment is not a consideration you'd be better looking 20 miles south to the wolds  to the Tory shire area between Louth and Alford. Louth has risen a bit because it is deemed the next Ludlow but has social issues. But rural areas pretty much stuck in a 15 year price rut at 2004 levels. No dual carriageways, Mr. Pin pointed out Lincolnshire is closed( yep it is) or it's 1960s Trumpton at its busiest. Stay in the area for short breaks and one of my retirement targets.

Edited by crashmonitor

41 minutes ago, Dim Ray said:

Where are you from?

Not sure Grimsby is a good place to move to if you are of working age. I've only been there once, it seemed pretty destitute really. If I were to relocate, as a southerner, to somewhere in the North I'd probably pick Northumberland. You've got the wetter, colder weather that comes with northern living vs. the south but you've also got loads of stunning AONBs and coastlines, the housing is cheap,  friendly locals, and the population density is fairly low.

Moving somewhere just for cheaper housing is rarely a good idea.

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

You can get a massive house in Blackpool for around 60k.

I can assure you, it's cheap for a very good reason.

Actually, and I'm surprised having just taken a look at Rightmove, I don't think you can. This was the biggest I saw at 60K and it's not what I'd call massive:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-77697953.html

Fuck knows who's buying at that price in Blackpool?!

17 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Actually, and I'm surprised having just taken a look at Rightmove, I don't think you can. This was the biggest I saw at 60K and it's not what I'd call massive:

That's a repo or bankruptcy going by the descrption. Probably be an HMO shortly.

While we are on the subject of moving up north perhaps a dosbodder could help out this person from mumsnet who is thinking of moving up north.

"Basically I'm southern... haven 't tried the north.....My concerns are crime, rough areas, yobs and random attacks....I would also like to know if northerners dislike southerners."

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/3294243-Needed-insight-from-Northerners-or-ex-Southerners-about-living-in-the-north

3 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

While we are on the subject of moving up north perhaps a dosbodder could help out this person from mumsnet who is thinking of moving up north.

"Basically I'm southern... haven 't tried the north.....My concerns are crime, rough areas, yobs and random attacks....I would also like to know if northerners dislike southerners."

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/3294243-Needed-insight-from-Northerners-or-ex-Southerners-about-living-in-the-north

Tell her that north of Watford was nuked. It is no longer there. 

12 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

need to move to Edinburgh to be amongst southerners

4 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

need to move to Edinburgh to be amongst southerners

I was sat in a pub in my home town. Got talking to a couple who had a holiday flat. They started telling me all about the town (much of it incorrect). 

They finally asked where I came from. “Here”. They looked like they had just found a unicorn. Bloody place is swarming with white settlers who think they own the place. 

49 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

That's actually in an, erm..OK area of Blackpool. Not the shittest anyway.

Still not somewhere you'd want to live.

I've seen 15 room hotels for sale in Blackpool for around 60k. I'll have a look once I've lobbed the kids into bed.

22 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

I lived in Chipping Norton, the 'Beverley Hills' of England apparently.

It was hugely expensive, as rough as arseholes and chock full of absolute cunts. The North is immeasurably better, just don't tell anyone....

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I lived in Chipping Norton, the 'Beverley Hills' of England apparently.

It was hugely expensive, as rough as arseholes and chock full of absolute cunts. The North is immeasurably better, just don't tell anyone....

was jeremy clarkson around?

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've seen 15 room hotels for sale in Blackpool for around 60k. I'll have a look once I've lobbed the kids into bed.

No yhere isnt. Ive been there. Its like all the scum mancs have moved there.

Scabby has a minor thing with wessie and south yorkshire scum. There are still some nice chesp areas. Brid gets the worse of it, being smack leeds by the sea.

What i found the wierdest, most obvious when i leved in the south is that most towns with 1h of london have nothing. At gest youd get good schools in ea speak but they were most soulest dull shitholes going. Absolutely no fun about them.

Theres more as you go west  but youve got to be well into the southwest before you find anywhere oivable i.e. where you could come home then walk out and grab a beer and meal.

I spent 2.5 of my worst years working in bracknell. Id wslk to tge station at 545 and the town was fucking dead. Just chavs round maccy ds. The rest of the towns were just like. Reading was just a pukeathon.

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

He was. Saw him loads. 

Cut his hedge once. 

Nice enough, scruffy as fuck though.

Hes from Donny. 

Im royally fed up with people from south yorkshire, nit just the rotherham thing.

18 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was sat in a pub in my home town. Got talking to a couple who had a holiday flat. They started telling me all about the town (much of it incorrect). 

They finally asked where I came from. “Here”. They looked like they had just found a unicorn. Bloody place is swarming with white settlers who think they own the place. 

Did they ask you back for a threesome?

Ive had that.

Always some blousy mutton from pudsey or barnsly.

19 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Used to go to Blackpool a lot when I was a kid to stay with relatives and it was actually pretty nice back then. Last one I went there in around 2008 it was an utter crap-hole.

12 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Used to go to Blackpool a lot when I was a kid to stay with relatives and it was actually pretty nice back then. Last one I went there in around 2008 it was an utter crap-hole.

Apparently back in the day it was quite something. You can still see vestiges of that when you look at the place now.

Unfortunately most of its former glory is buried under chip shops, wank pubs, vomit, sleet, heroin and shit.

I think what happened is some long-forgotten bent council in the 70's took a whopping back-hander to make Blackpool the dumping ground for the absolute scum of the UK. They fucked off to sit on a beach somewhere while Blackpool remains the seething pit of Jeremy Kyle deprivation that it is. 

Shame really.