• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

TheBlueCat

Office365 - Wow, It's Actually Good

I hate Windows with a passion - every time I turn on my Windows laptop it spends four hours updating for example - but, having started using Office365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc + OneDrive) through work, I've got to admit it's really good. For the most part I can now do all of my document editing straight into OneDrive without having to download any documents and, more importantly, meaning that I can edit using Chrome on my Ubuntu desktop. Interesting change of tack from Microsoft reducing the need for its OS nastiness. I wonder if they've finally realised it's shit and gives them a bad name?

8 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I hate Windows with a passion - every time I turn on my Windows laptop it spends four hours updating for example - but, having started using Office365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc + OneDrive) through work, I've got to admit it's really good. For the most part I can now do all of my document editing straight into OneDrive without having to download any documents and, more importantly, meaning that I can edit using Chrome on my Ubuntu desktop. Interesting change of tack from Microsoft reducing the need for its OS nastiness. I wonder if they've finally realised it's shit and gives them a bad name?

All my pcs still run XP xD

O365 on chromebook is a pretty decent compromise.

[actually, it isn't -- it is a fantastic business solution.  The laptop itself becomes almost disposable, and the functionality is great.  But I'll acknowledge that you can't do everything on Chrome]

Edited by dgul

I think it is worth subscription for the onedrive alone - that back-up feature is worth it for stuff like photos.

Even better value if you are a poor, underpaid, under-pensioned teacher or academic as you can get 4 years for just £60ish.

I buy it for £50 each year either on BF or on Boxing Day from Amazon.

Just now, Kwyjibo said:

All of our email at work is O365, we have desktop office but the email in the cloud is so handy for remote access.

Ideal for giving you access to work email 24/7, 52 weeks a year. Think of all that free labour that companies can exploit!

Office 365 is classed as a major security risk where I work and hence verboten, the risk of giving away IP to foreign and commercial third parties is too great.

The yanks invented Google, Facebook, Twitter and have topped it off with a cloud based Office (spy as you type) Suite for their mates in the CIA and whatever else.

Just now, Bingobob said:

Ideal for giving you access to work email 24/7, 52 weeks a year. Think of all that free labour that companies can exploit!

True, but I'm not one of those people, 8 till 5 for me, and if I can't fufill your needs in that time you need more people, or less work (or more efficient people than me) :-)

Just now, Chewing Grass said:

Office 365 is classed as a major security risk where I work and hence verboten, the risk of giving away IP to foreign and commercial third parties is too great.

The yanks invented Google, Facebook, Twitter and have topped it off with a cloud based Office (spy as you type) Suite for their mates in the CIA and whatever else.

Hello Chewy. Your Aston Martin is in the post, and don't touch that pen.O.o

I do have one problem with 365, that's the way it integrates Outlook and your PC logon details, it allows the ability for your boss to have constant immediate access to every document you are working on. This became apparent to me when I logged in to access my emails online and saw copies of all my Office documents available there, followed by seeing who had full access to my email account.
I think we're all guilty of working on (at break times) our CV at work and writing job application cover letters, due to probably not having a copy of MSOffice at home, well now it could destroy your career.

And there's this too:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/activity-reports/activity-reports?view=o365-worldwide

Edited by Snark

Just now, Snark said:

I do have one problem with 365, that's the way it integrates Outlook and your PC logon details, it allows the ability for your boss to have constant immediate access to every document you are working on. This became apparent to me when I logged in to access my emails online and saw copies of all my Office documents available there, followed by seeing who had full access to my email account.
I think we're all guilty of working on (at break times) our CV at work and writing job application cover letters, due to probably not having a copy of MSOffice at home, well now it could destroy your career.

See, what did I tell you, if your boss can spy on you, sure as hell the government can, oh and just like certain people have found out plod can (and will) selectively find stuff you wrote years ago (just like twitter etc) and use it against you, watch this space.

4 minutes ago, Snark said:

And there's this too:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/admin/activity-reports/activity-reports?view=o365-worldwide

That's configurable - we have ours set up so only specific system administrators can see stuff that hasn't been explicitly shared with them. Basically the same access model as for our existing arrangements. 

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

See, what did I tell you, if your boss can spy on you, sure as hell the government can, oh and just like certain people have found out plod can (and will) selectively find stuff you wrote years ago (just like twitter etc) and use it against you, watch this space.

I'm very sure the government can see it they want to, but this is work stuff and I don't give a shit who can see it quite frankly. If I want to do something actually private, I edit locally on my own, not work, desktop using LibreOffice and store it on a Truecrypt partition.

5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I write everything in .txt files, I don't copy into a MS documents until it's finished and I keep all my notes in txt files too. It's so dangerous when anything you draft could be misconstrued and used against you. I also having had bad experiences in the past, I run an automated winRAR script that encrypts, archives and password protects my files every day when I leave work.

I also have a startup script that locks my PC and resets the user password back to my own, as well as turning off remote desktop and removing all admin shares, just in case IT admin reset my password in the active directory to gain access to my PC. This was as a result of (in a previous workplace) a manager trying to get me fired by having IT plant dodgy files on my PC.

I've learned I have to protect myself and my data as aggressively as I can, but without it being blindingly obvious.

Edited by Snark

2 minutes ago, Snark said:

I write everything in .txt files, I don't copy into a MS documents until it's finished and I keep all my notes in txt files too. It's so dangerous when anything you draft could be misconstrued and used against you. I also having had bad experiences in the past, I run an automated winRAR script that encrypts, archives and password protects my files every day when I leave work.

Blimey, I'd hate to work in an environment where I felt the need to do that. Luckily where I work even a desktop icon move causes confusion and involves calling in the local IT guy (me).

6 minutes ago, Snark said:

I write most of my documents in Markdown, then use Pandoc to convert to Word.

16 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Like anyone posting on here! I fully expect every word I have written on the internet to be discoverable, none of it of any interest though.

12 minutes ago, Kwyjibo said:

Like anyone posting on here! I fully expect every word I have written on the internet to be discoverable, none of it of any interest though.

I suspect a lot of what we have posted here could get us sent down in the future

27 minutes ago, Snark said:

I also have a startup script that locks my PC and resets the user password back to my own, as well as turning off remote desktop and removing all admin shares, just in case IT admin reset my password in the active directory to gain access to my PC. This was as a result of (in a previous workplace) a manager trying to get me fired by having IT plant dodgy files on my PC.

I've learned I have to protect myself and my data as aggressively as I can, but without it being blindingly obvious.

Bloody hell. Who do you work for?

But given you probably can't tell us, I will assume you are employed writing advertising slogans for B&Q.

I never did get the OneDrive integration working - IIRC files kept getting marked Read Only and would not save.

I had to give up with Office as I need apps suited for business and Outlook in particular was a shambles; I could never know whether it would work today or not.

Best tip is that if you have a working installation - turn off automatic updating.

2 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Bloody hell. Who do you work for?

But given you probably can't tell us, I will assume you are employed writing advertising slogans for B&Q.

It's who I used to work for,  I came to realise that when it comes to anything technical, trying to fight off accusations from non-technical people, is near impossible without an external impartial expert (impossible due to security at that employer), and you actually just make yourself look more guilty in a "well you obviously know how to do XYZ, therefore you must have done it" sort of way. A bit like "well you know how to drive a car, therefore you deliberately crashed into that bus stop full of children".

Yes i've had some bad experiences, but as a result I now take every precaution to make sure I give nobody anything at all to use against me.

So the measures I mentioned above, plus using a portable web browser (on USB drive), with my own encrypted proxy service bypassing the internal network over ports normally used by Apple devices (because even on locked down networks, in high security companies, the managers always want their iPhones to work), nothing of my web browsing is left for scrutiny. It's not because I do anything I shouldn't, it's because when someone puts a list of websites in front of you (taken from server logs) which you're supposed to have been visiting in work time, it's bloody difficult to sit and justify all the hundreds if not thousands of websites that get listed from ad hosting sites and such, especially when you're sat there trying to explain this to 3 people who barely know how use a mouse.

I'm going slightly off topic, but this is why internet censorship and monitoring is dangerous, you can be perfectly innocent, get served up some dodgy ads due to some rogue malware and then have the "internet history" and temp files used against you in a court of law, being judged by a jury of your "peers", and when I say "peers" it helps to imagine your 80yr old technophobic granny x12..... Result = your screwed, game over man, game over.

Edited by Snark

9 hours ago, Snark said:

Despite what certain people think, I actually write a *lot*. and Ive been working for 20 odd years. (Most of posting here is via a tablet).

My issue with word processors is that they are word processors - great for party invites and shopping lists. Totally shit when you are maintaining a large (500_ pages) document over a long time (10+ years) with contributions from 100s of people.

Lotsof contracts are made horrendous by orgs using Word rather than a proper document processor.

I explain the difference and all the managers hear is   ZNZZNMNX<MNXM<NXM.

They dont grasp the difference and problems, despite me pointing their faces in it.

Word copies formatting if you blindly cutnpaste. A tight bunch of <10 styles soon explodes to 100s all that are similarish but slightly different.

The indexing and whatnot tends to work 98% of the time.

Ive had problems where word has got stuck in layout. Word layout is implict, guided by a buggy layout algorithm which you cannot overrule.

Its got to the point where I have scripts to gather up  text and feed it into a word via COM, usign word like a printer driver.

I have an event strcitre farmework for putting data into excel -  excel is not to be trusted. ever.

Back to O365. MS will fuck it up. Where 'it' is the tool, the backend and the security. They always do.

If its the security and backend then a lot of companies are fucked - see sheepies comment. It ight be your boss (unlikely) it might by your GOV or wrose - the Chinese.

*ALL* business process will move to a browser. 99.99^ of business processes dont need the all singing and all dancing.

See my comments on SAP on another thread.

11 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Its only taken them what 10 years to catch up with google docs ?.