• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Airguns

Pcp all the way ,if you can make the criteria and be bothered with the hassle that comes with it go FAC air 

Stay away from anything that has electronic power control ,and look for something that is or can have a regulator fitted as it gives far better shot for shot consistency 

Theoben rapid 7 mk2 are simple to "tune" and maintain but cost a premium because of it

Edited by Long time lurking

1 minute ago, Long time lurking said:

300 bar in a 300-500mil reservoir with a manual two stage pump is a good work out

Either that or find a friendly fireman 

OK that sounds weird advice. Worth taking. No, I only need a spring one.

Had an Air Arms TX200 springer, solid a rock, very accurate and reliable and a sound second hand buy. Only downside is weight. That is one of the major benefits of PCP's.

There is quite a substantial difference in technique between firing a springer and PCP, the significant recoil of the spring means that a consistent hold pressure makes all the difference for consistency and accuracy, whereas a PCP you can hold light, hard and will make no difference.

Edited by onlyme

1 hour ago, Caravan Monster said:

I can probably sell you a HW100 and accompanying gubbins as I don't use it anymore.

I haven't finished my research yet. These pump up ones sound too difficult.

14 hours ago, onlyme said:

Had an Air Arms TX200 springer, solid a rock, very accurate and reliable and a sound second hand buy. Only downside is weight. That is one of the major benefits of PCP's.

There is quite a substantial difference in technique between firing a springer and PCP, the significant recoil of the spring means that a consistent hold pressure makes all the difference for consistency and accuracy, whereas a PCP you can hold light, hard and will make no difference.

yep that spoilt my fun 30 odd years ago ,guns like daystate spoil things ie out spent.the same happened with landrovers and off roading,yourd have people paying to have mid engined land rovers built.spoilt it  basicly.

Who knew that airgun snobbery existed? :P 

There's still a Sharps pump up airgun of mine somewhere in one of my family's places in the UK. it pumps (or used to) to about double the legal limit, this was to ensure rabbits/magpies/pigeons were killed rather than for any nefarious purposes.

Cheap, light, powerful and accurate. No good for target shooting though as the pumping between each shot is quite laborious, so also no good for hunting where you may need to get a load of shots off quickly, like with rats.

I have a Wiehrauch HW97. Beautifully made German spring air rifle. Bought it a few years ago after doing loads of research, it seemed to be recommended.  I didn't have the budget for a compressed air model and this seemed to be one of the best "springers".

Great for rats and rabbits when required and huge fun for general target shooting.

They're all much of a muchness,  all being restricted to 12ftlbs.

I used to have an HW90 and it was a perfectly good air rifle (if a little on the heavy side) so another tick for Wiehrauch here.

.22 for pest control.  .177 for target shooting.

On 24/12/2018 at 22:12, Libspero said:

They're all much of a muchness,  all being restricted to 12ftlbs.

I used to have an HW90 and it was a perfectly good air rifle (if a little on the heavy side) so another tick for Wiehrauch here.

.22 for pest control.  .177 for target shooting.

I was thinking 177.

27 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I was thinking 177.

How much do you want to throw at it?

Webley here for less than £100.  Entry level break barrel,  11.5 ftlbs..  shoots in a straight line. 

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/webley-vmx-spring-power-177

You can easily spend three or four times that on a good name with similar basic performance. If you want to get into pneumatics you can easily spend £2k.

Edited by Libspero

18 minutes ago, Libspero said:

How much do you want to throw at it?

Webley here for less than £100.  Entry level break barrel,  11.5 ftlbs..  shoots in a straight line.  Nog sure if it has iron sights though,  might need to check if your not planning to use a scope:

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/webley-vmx-spring-power-177

I was thinking of spending a bit more than that. I have some in mind

23 hours ago, MrPin said:

I was thinking of spending a bit more than that. I have some in mind

If you don`t want PCP  have a look at what gas ram conversions are still available and for what makes/models, they are easy to tune if you want a little more

Under lever carbine are far better than break barrels as they stay far more accurate when they get old 

Edited by Long time lurking

11 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Im giving a big thumbs up for the Air Arms TX200HC.

Never had one but they tick all the boxes for me. (as a springer).

Yes, I am looking at those.

11 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Why don't you get a spud gun, like the Irish Army uses?

I have no wish to shoot Mr Rooney, the wiggy footballer.