• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Reality is another country

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41416402

One of the benefits of veganism is it's good for the environment. So is not driving fast cars pointlessly round a circuit 20 times a year, and using huge numbers of air miles to get things there AND owning a private jet (VAT status?) and all the other assorted loveliness of a wealthy lifestyle.

it's the same with these bloody eco conferences they keep holding where they fly people from 200+ countries around the world to sit and discuss ways of reducing global warming.

Man as a species really needs to get a grip and stop abusing the environment by flying everywhere. 

I will stop eating meat when they stop flying planes around the globe.

Edited by sarahbell

Yes, bonkers.

He gives his reasons on this story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/41296229

"As the human race, what we are doing to the world... the pollution [in terms of emissions of global-warming gases] coming from the amount of cows that are being produced is incredible.

"They say it is more than what we produce with our flights and our cars, which is kind of crazy to think. The cruelty is horrible and I don't necessarily want to support that and I want to live a healthier life."

Irrespective of the fuel from the actual racing cars the relocation of the Formula 1 entourage is like moving a small town around the planet.

If he wants to save the planet he should quit, take up cycling and start a protest movement against motorsport.

Or maybe just keep his mouth shut so that whilst we may think him an idiot he doesn't keep coming out and confirming it every couple of months.

Yes, there is absolutely no reason for those ridiculous  environmentalist conferences where they all fly in from the four corners of the globe to pontificate in a luxury hotel, after which they proclaim 'We have only (insert x number of years) to save the planet'. They seem to do this every year.  There is simply no reason for it nowadays - the whole thing could be done online by teleconferencing or with small national 'hubs' of people having mini-conferences with online link ups.

30 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

One of the benefits of veganism is it's good for the environment. So is not driving fast cars pointlessly round a circuit 20 times a year, and using huge numbers of air miles to get things there AND owning a private jet (VAT status?) and all the other assorted loveliness of a wealthy lifestyle.

it's the same with these bloody eco conferences they keep holding where they fly people from 200+ countries around the world to sit and discuss ways of reducing global warming.

Man as a species really needs to get a grip and stop abusing the environment by flying everywhere. 

A lot of environmentalists are hypocrites.

Douglas Adams was an environmentalist yet delighted in driving his Porsche around London and flying First Class everywhere. The tube and cattle class with their much lower carbon footprints were for the plebs.

I well remember a Newsnight discussion with George Monbiot where it transpired he had used a taxi to get there while his "non green" opponent used the tube.

Edited by Fischer

I know a couple of eco warriors that like to take at least two long haul holidays, often to trample over some delicate or fragile environment. They did not like it when I suggested that if they want to save the planet then they should go to Butlins or at the very least Benidorm for their hols. Similarly most of the worlds  arable crops are grown in some of the planets least bio diverse environments. Waging war on ruminants is not going to change that situation.

13 minutes ago, This Time said:

Pastured ruminants are carbon sequestrating so actually reduce global warming. Ruminants can also be used to reverse desertification caused by, say, arable farming.

With the added benefit you can milk and eat them.

The current vogue for veganism is just another snob thing for those who want to look down on the great unwashed who generally can only afford to eat mechanically recovered meat. There is lots of cruelty involved in farming but it extends way beyond just animal husbandry and includes lots of arable practises that destroy things like hedgerows. 

In addition their are entire pastoralist cultures from the Masai to the Mongolians who basically rely on milk and meat. Presumably vegans are quite happy to see societies that have existed for thousands of years wiped out.

Anyway if people really want to save the planet then probably the best thing they can do is kill themselves. 

Edited by Virgil Caine

17 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The sole political purpose of eco-environmentalism is to make ordinary people feel sufficiently guilty that they won't object to being taxed more.

Maybe even ten years ago I woudl have disagreed with you; I don't now.

That Macron "but it's for the planet" excuse as he squeezed the last few francs out of poor working people rang incredibly hollow.

12 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Anyway if people really want to save the planet then probably the best thing they can do is kill themselves. 

And lots of other people.

I have said it before but when we do hit the buffers it is going to be horrendous and all of these measures to allow populations to keep growing are going to make the ultimate crash that much worse.

Burn the fossil fuels, get it over with, and then when they are all gone the population will revert to that the planet can renewably support and it ain't going to be pretty getting to that point.  And the bigger the population when we hit that the worse it will be.

I don't even see this as being some dim and distant future; I think the first shockwaves will come in 2030 when it becomes impossible to continue to hide that Saudi oil is rapidly running out and energy prices rocket as a consequence.  For anyone who thinks that it doesn't matter because of wind and solar I don't see how those are going to fuel combine harvesters, tractors in remote areas, or make fertiliser so food prices will also rocket.

I think it's both unavoidable and imminent and that dicking about with carbon taxes or getting excited about electric cars will do nothing bar make people poorer whilst causing only minor postponement of the energy price boom.

29 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

The sole political purpose of eco-environmentalism is to make ordinary people feel sufficiently guilty that they won't object to being taxed more.

That is a benefit of it to governments. But at an individual level, I think it is more about a deep seated psychological function which used to be served by religious belief. Eg, millenarianism - the idea that the end of the world is coming; supplication - the idea that something larger than ourselves can be placated by making certain acts of obeisance or believing certain things; purity laws - the idea that some foods are 'clean' while others are 'unclean' - this is particularly strong in veganism/vegetarianism; acts of contrition - eg, the paying of 'carbon taxes' and 'carbon trading' which is little different to the selling of indulgences in the medieval church, etc etc.

3 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

That is a benefit of it to governments. But at an individual level, I think it is more about a deep seated psychological function which used to be served by religious belief. Eg, millenarianism - the idea that the end of the world is coming; supplication - the idea that something larger than ourselves can be placated by making certain acts of obeisance or believing certain things; purity laws - the idea that some foods are 'clean' while others are 'unclean' - this is particularly strong in veganism/vegetarianism; acts of contrition - eg, the paying of 'carbon taxes' and 'carbon trading' which is little different to the selling of indulgences in the medieval church, etc etc.

Nice summary.:)

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

And lots of other people.

I have said it before but when we do hit the buffers it is going to be horrendous and all of these measures to allow populations to keep growing are going to make the ultimate crash that much worse.

Burn the fossil fuels, get it over with, and then when they are all gone the population will revert to that the planet can renewably support and it ain't going to be pretty getting to that point.  And the bigger the population when we hit that the worse it will be.

I don't even see this as being some dim and distant future; I think the first shockwaves will come in 2030 when it becomes impossible to continue to hide that Saudi oil is rapidly running out and energy prices rocket as a consequence.  For anyone who thinks that it doesn't matter because of wind and solar I don't see how those are going to fuel combine harvesters, tractors in remote areas, or make fertiliser so food prices will also rocket.

I think it's both unavoidable and imminent and that dicking about with carbon taxes or getting excited about electric cars will do nothing bar make people poorer whilst causing only minor postponement of the energy price boom.

the population boom will hit us hard. it aint gonna be pretty when the planet turns on us. I chose never to have kids because there are already so many people.

bah, not this old shit again. How much hypocrisy can the stupid idiots take, i dont know. Ill start listening to idiots like this when someones taken a pot shot at them while they virtue signal, and then it will be the crying they do, not the signalling they spout.

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

the population boom will hit us hard. it aint gonna be pretty when the planet turns on us. I chose never to have kids because there are already so many people.

I haven't had kids but I think it is the greatest triumph of the Soros mob that its insidious propaganda has prevented decent people like yourself from having children.

The world needs more decent people; not less.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I haven't had kids but I think it is the greatest triumph of the Soros mob that its insidious propaganda has prevented decent people like yourself from having children.

The world needs more decent people; not less.

Kind words, sir! I never wanted kids, I just couldn't justify any more people. I try to promote decency where I can but most people now have been hypnotised by TV and social media. It's a strange world for sure

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Kind words, sir! I never wanted kids, I just couldn't justify any more people. I try to promote decency where I can but most people now have been hypnotised by TV and social media. It's a strange world for sure

Maybe I should go out and make some children with some woman I bumped into in the pub?

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

The driver at the hotel near Disneyland Paris was telling me 70% back the global warming nonsense that Macron is using to put up taxes ... Though not the taxes themselves ... He was saying something needs to be done about climate change...  I was going to suggest people not flying in from around the world to see Mickey Mouse and getting their picture taken by the Eiffel Tower but then i thought better of it.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Maybe I should go out and make some children with some woman I bumped into in the pub?

Why not?

I will remind people of the Rev Hawker, a local celebrity who wrote "Trelawney" which is the Cornish national anthem

He married at nineteen to a 41 year old; they had a long and apparently happy marriage of over forty years until she died in 1863 when he was 60 and she 82.

The next year he married a twenty year old and they had three children in their twelve years of marriage before he died aged 72.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Stephen_Hawker

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why not?

I will remind people of the Rev Hawker, a local celebrity who wrote "Trelawney" which is the Cornish national anthem

He married at nineteen to a 41 year old; they had a long and apparently happy marriage of over forty years until she died in 1863 when he was 60 and she 82.

The next year he married a twenty year old and they had three children in their twelve years of marriage before he died aged 72.

Stop putting ideas into my head. I am not 28 like the rest of the people here.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why not?

Reminds me of this American  Civil war veteran of 1862 who remarried late in life and his 86 year old daughter was still drawing a Civil war pension 151 years after the war finished in 2017. Why the offspring get the pension God knows.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-08-08/civil-war-vets-pension-still-remains-on-governments-payroll-151-years-after-last-shot-fired

Edited by crashmonitor

21 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Could be summarised as "Man who has lived in bubble all his life demonstrates complete inability to see out of bubble."

I think Lewis Hamilton is a tool, but I suspect if I'd lived his life I would be too. (or even more so before anyone helps out!).