• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

This is so, so, sad. Heartbreakingly sad

Track this for the offender.  

Odds on it is a native NZ druggie, established sex offender, or a recent immigrant from an enriching culture.  Maori/Islander gangs are not a threat unless you are involved in their trade.  

2 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Track this for the offender.  

Odds on it is a native NZ druggie, established sex offender, or a recent immigrant from an enriching culture.  Maori/Islander gangs are not a threat unless you are involved in their trade.  

Interesting that he has appeared in court yet his name isn’t released 

Just now, SNACR said:

The copper's statement on the news last night was a tough watch I guess they don't get too much of it in NZ.

NZ is like the Uk was in the 70's when I was growing up - you really have to go looking for trouble.  It won't find you unless you are really, really unlucky.

New Zealand would be pretty high on most people's safest countries list; it's great shame and the reaction in New Zealand shows how unusual this is.

I'm not reading anything into the name not being released; odds on that it's a local nutcase.

Yes, heartbreaking.

Poor girl was at the wrong place at the wrong time with a person with no cares for others.

I know several people who have lost a child through accidents and illness. To lose a child through murder must be horrendous to bear because it’s so senseless to normal people.

As a parent my worst fear is one of my kids dying before me. That would be hard to face. If one of them was murdered I really can’t imagine how I would cope.

2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Yes, heartbreaking.

Poor girl was at the wrong place at the wrong time with a person with no cares for others.

I know several people who have lost a child through accidents and illness. To lose a child through murder must be horrendous to bear because it’s so senseless to normal people.

As a parent my worst fear is one of my kids dying before me. That would be hard to face. If one of them was murdered I really can’t imagine how I would cope.

👍. I think this strikes home for me so much as she is a very similar age to mine. I’m not sure what I would do in her parents situation. Lose the will to live would be very near the top of the list. 

19 minutes ago, wherebee said:

NZ is like the Uk was in the 70's when I was growing up - you really have to go looking for trouble.  It won't find you unless you are really, really unlucky.

You mean the 70s of the Yorkshire Ripper?

6 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

You mean the 70s of the Yorkshire Ripper?

God, that brings back memories. I was a teenager and we were all scared to death going out on a night. It didn’t matter that the bloke was 70 miles away, killing prostitutes in Leeds, we were scared.   

When is this madness going to stop?

Just the other day, some young chap local to me was on the news, he's going to backpack solo around South America, he seemed to know it was dangerous (drug cartels and armed gangs), but I couldn't help thinking he wasn't quite worldly enough to understand just how dangerous it really is, my bet is nobody ever sees him again.

I know they're not kids, but something needs to be done, they're going out around the world, on their own, totally naive, not understanding foreign culture, not understanding the dangers, and thanks to sheltered middle class upbringings, they think the world is all fluffy bunnies, unicorns and organic food.

It's our fault, societies fault and every time this happens I just get so angry. Yes it's relatively rare, but one is too many.......

2 minutes ago, Snark said:

Just the other day, some young chap local to me was on the news, he's going to backpack solo around South America, he seemed to know it was dangerous (drug cartels and armed gangs), but I couldn't help thinking he wasn't quite worldly enough to understand just how dangerous it really is, my bet is nobody ever sees him again.

I know they're not kids, but something needs to be done, they're going out around the world, on their own, totally naive, not understanding foreign culture, not understanding the dangers, and thanks to sheltered middle class upbringings, they think the world is all fluffy bunnies, unicorns and organic food.

It's our fault, societies fault and every time this happens I just get so angry. Yes it's relatively rare, but one is too many.......

Well, to be fair, if she had chosen NZ on grounds of safety you cannot exactly criticise that.  Now, I have seen some reports that the dude arrested was her Tinder hookup, which is an entirely different safety discussion around why we think it's OK for young women to meet random strangers for sex.

The Yorkshire Ripper fears in the 70’s was when the penny dropped with me that perhaps my late mother was correct that I should be wary of strangers. 

Up until then I scoffed at her suggestion that you should be wary who you get in a car with etc. She grew up in the era of a serial killer in the Glasgow area....Manuel?

Personally I love meeting new people but I’m aware that you never really who they are or what their motives are.

All very well on a high street, in a coffee shop etc but the who are they etc thoughts can be a bit disconcerting sometimes when walking in a more remote area like woods. I take the risk but in the back of my mind I know, like anyone, I could be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The internet makes it easier for unbalanced people to find victims IMO.

6 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Well, to be fair, if she had chosen NZ on grounds of safety you cannot exactly criticise that.  Now, I have seen some reports that the dude arrested was her Tinder hookup, which is an entirely different safety discussion around why we think it's OK for young women to meet random strangers for sex.

It’s the way that young people meet each other. It’s not just for sex but to meet your next boyfriend/girlfriend. The young don’t go to pubs like we would have done. 

I don’t like it but my daughters and all their mates use maybe not tinder but similar apps. 

I lived in NZ for almost a decade. It has serious social issues and a lot of violent crime. It also has one of the most effective overseas tourism marketing strategies of any country, which is why so many people believe it's utopia. There's a good reason why large numbers of Kiwis leave NZ in their late teens and twenties, never to return.

It's beautiful to look at but it is certainly not a safe country, at least not unless you stay far away from the humans.

Edited to add: e2nz.org is an interesting read as a red pill to the NZ marketing machine. Biased in its own way, but still useful.

Edited by Alex

Just now, Alex said:

I lived in NZ for almost a decade. It has serious social issues and a lot of violent crime. It also has one of the most effective overseas tourism marketing strategies of any country, which is why so many people believe it's utopia. There's a good reason why large numbers of Kiwis leave NZ in their late teens and twenties, never to return.

It's beautiful to look at but it is certainly not a safe country, at least not unless you stay far away from the humans.

I disagree 100%.  

I've lived in many countries including NZ, and HK and NZ are my two safest countries in the world.  Now, in NZ if you live on a shit estate, or drink in a shit pub, of course it's possibly violent.  But most places are incredibly friendly and safe.

I can only think you must have been unlucky, or interacting with shitbags way out of line with the average NZ'er.

1 minute ago, wherebee said:

I disagree 100%.  

I've lived in many countries including NZ, and HK and NZ are my two safest countries in the world.  Now, in NZ if you live on a shit estate, or drink in a shit pub, of course it's possibly violent.  But most places are incredibly friendly and safe.

I can only think you must have been unlucky, or interacting with shitbags way out of line with the average NZ'er.

Where did you live, when and for how long?

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Edited to add: e2nz.org is an interesting read as a red pill to the NZ marketing machine. Biased in its own way, but still useful.

You have violent, disgruntled maoris and misc. Pacific islanders.

And a government public sector that operates like a cliquey bent northern town council.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s the way that young people meet each other. It’s not just for sex but to meet your next boyfriend/girlfriend. The young don’t go to pubs like we would have done. 

I don’t like it but my daughters and all their mates use maybe not tinder but similar apps. 

I can’t tell my son anything re hooking up with girls for a shag. I often see a girl departing early in the morning. I think it’s sad but my son is more unlikely to be murdered by a woman.

My daughter did try on line dating and had two “longer” boyfriends from it. One over a year and one about 6 months. They both dumped her. Thankfully she took on board my advice to meet publicly for a while and try and get to know them a bit. I’m glad she’s not bothering about online hooking up/trying to get a boyfriend now. She’s focusing on her life, hobbies, interests, job etc with an attitude of if I don’t meet someone in my life who can be my partner then I’ll be ok on my own.

17 minutes ago, Snark said:

I'd say NZ isn't the problem here.  It is about as safe a foreign country as it gets.

But it is a tragedy.  I'd say these things have always happened, but 100 years ago you'd either have a chance of getting away with it, or the locals would ensure that you met a strange accident walking the cliffs.  But 'bad things having happened in the past' doesn't stop it being a tragedy.

I sometimes think that perhaps the news shouldn't focus on these things, because it is just sadness without any point.  But I suppose it has to be said to ensure that people know about risks so that they can not fall in to the same trap in the future.  Maybe we've got it about right.

[that said, we do ignore some things that shouldn't be -- like Rotherham, etc.  The news is biased]

About Tinder -- I dunno.  When I was young I got up to (and into) all sorts -- I can hardly blame today's young for using tech to do the same more efficiently.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

You have violent, disgruntled maoris and misc. Pacific islanders.

And a government public sector that operates like a cliquey bent northern town council.

And a massive 'P' (meth) problem fuelling all sorts of crime. And huge domestic violence rates, child abuse, etc., etc.

NZ government has for many years been warning young women never to walk alone at night. Anywhere. I don't call that a safe country.

And you're right about the public sector. Bent, nepotistic, cronyist. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it myself - and I was on the positive side, i.e. I was offered things that were blatantly illegal by people in position of power.

Just now, Van Lady said:

I can’t tell my son anything re hooking up with girls for a shag. I often see a girl departing early in the morning. I think it’s sad but my son is more unlikely to be murdered by a woman.

My daughter did try on line dating and had two “longer” boyfriends from it. One over a year and one about 6 months. They both dumped her. Thankfully she took on board my advice to meet publicly for a while and try and get to know them a bit. I’m glad she’s not bothering about online hooking up/trying to get a boyfriend now. She’s focusing on her life, hobbies, interests, job etc with an attitude of if I don’t meet someone in my life who can be my partner then I’ll be ok on my own.

My two daughters think in a similar way. Finding a partner is no longer the be all that it used to be. They are their own person, earning decent money. Why would they give that away?  

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Yes, the old fashioned way of fanny fishing took months and months, before the internet. It was a hard slog, but at least you didn't get a partner you knew nothing about.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

And a massive 'P' (meth) problem fuelling all sorts of crime. And huge domestic violence rates, child abuse, etc., etc.

NZ government has for many years been warning young women never to walk alone at night. Anywhere. I don't call that a safe country.

And you're right about the public sector. Bent, nepotistic, cronyist. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it myself - and I was on the positive side, i.e. I was offered things that were blatantly illegal by people in position of power.

Wellington used to be the "wife beating capital of the world".