• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Caravan Monster

3D scanning

Question

Any pointers on where to start with 3D scanning? The objective is to scan a car body and use the scan to produce cross section templates to copy the body. Have old school drawing boards to scale up shapes. Equipment budget in the £100s rather than £1000s and user friendliness in the vaguely competent linux home user range.

6 answers to this question

The guys that do vinyl wraps work off 3d models for most cars and they will be accurate with no odd a artefacts, good chance that a particular car you want to scan already has a good representation in a usable form -  so there will be a library or two where these are readily available.

Thanks all, I had missed these replies :$ Turns out I had misunderstood the original question. All there is to go on is one fuzzy black and white photo of the car and so far as we know there aren't any more bodies from the same coach builder to take photos of. I don't think the wonders of computer technology will be able to help with this one, old school by eye and lots of trial and error. Cars are difficult because they have to look right from every angle.

6 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Thanks all, I had missed these replies :$ Turns out I had misunderstood the original question. All there is to go on is one fuzzy black and white photo of the car and so far as we know there aren't any more bodies from the same coach builder to take photos of. I don't think the wonders of computer technology will be able to help with this one, old school by eye and lots of trial and error. Cars are difficult because they have to look right from every angle.

Oh... Where's the picture and what's the car?