• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Southmartin

£375 pcm per car EXTRA

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/new-emissions-zone-to-hit-drivers-with-1250-a-day-pollution-tax-a3858531.html

New emissions zone to hit drivers with £12.50 a day ‘pollution tax’

I'm not 100% sure if I'm reading this right, but it does appear that if you have a diesel car that will be 6 years old in 2021 (ie. 3 years old now), and you live inside the north/south circular... Then from next April it'll cost you an extra £12.50 per day... Note, there are no reductions for residents, and the charges apply 24/7

So if you have a 3 year old diesel, it's going to cost you an extra £375 per month!

I reckon they'll be a fair few cheap range rovers coming to market by May!

If there is one thing I disapprove of from government, it is mandating behaviour change without first defining the solution to the problem.

So, if he'd sorted out charging infrastructure, government sponsored 'point to point' transport for those people needing to cart a drum-kit around, etc, etc, then fine.  Then he could punish those that continue to use their cars.  But he hasn't.  He's punishing the poorer car owner without offering the improved alternative.  

[Sure, London has good public transport -- and I can't imagine why a youngster would want to have a car there.  But for those who juggle jobs and younger children or have complicated lives, the car is, unfortunately, still essential]

28 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

be a lot of cloneing plates going on

Will match their cloned driving licenses ....

Should not be a problem.

Most of the new resident in London dont appear to drive .... or work.

If it was a goat tax then theyd be fucked.

32 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/new-emissions-zone-to-hit-drivers-with-1250-a-day-pollution-tax-a3858531.html

I'm not 100% sure if I'm reading this right, but it does appear that if you have a diesel car that will be 6 years old in 2021 (ie. 3 years old now), and you live inside the north/south circular... Then from next April it'll cost you an extra £12.50 per day... Note, there are no reductions for residents, and the charges apply 24/7

So if you have a 3 year old diesel, it's going to cost you an extra £375 per month!

Nah. Even more exvclusive now, get rid of he hoi polloi - sniff my fumes plebs! Worth every penny.

20 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

diesels should be banned, disgusting polluters

It's way more nuanced than that with modern diesels which in some ways are cleaner than petrol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42666596

People tend to assume that the black filth belching out if old diesels is typical but modern diesels are a world away from that.

1 hour ago, Southmartin said:

My reading is that it will operate the same way as the congestion charge zone - so you pay only when you drive in it, not when your car is parked up going nowhere. Not sure how they plan to enforce it though, since it would need an absolute fuck-ton of cameras to catch people. 

49 minutes ago, dgul said:

If there is one thing I disapprove of from government, it is mandating behaviour change without first defining the solution to the problem.

It's also important to define the problem, which they haven't.

This is a revenue raising exercise.

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

This worrying over diesel emissions is all by the by surely when you consider this.

Ssshhhh.  We need to keep on importing.  Oh and taking ever more flights. 

Lets just forget all that though and hit the little people. Good distraction too. 

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

This worrying over diesel emissions is all by the by surely when you consider this.

It would be. Except that it's a report by the Guardian. A newspaper wrong about everything. All the time.

Just now, One percent said:

Ssshhhh.  We need to keep on importing.  Oh and taking ever more flights. 

Lets just forget all that though and hit the little people. Good distraction too. 

Maybe it's just a ploy to get people to buy another car, which will probably arrive on one of those ships?

If this was anything other than a revenue raising exercise or a cynical bung to large car manufacturers suffering lagging demand, and truely about the environment, then the government wouldn't be robbing the consumer's pocket for funding, as we have limited choices in terms of transport and the pollution it causes.

36 minutes ago, PeptoAbysmal said:

It's also important to define the problem, which they haven't.

This is a revenue raising exercise.

Quite.  There's scant evidence that the lez has changed things at all.

2 hours ago, Southmartin said:

This story is 6 months old.