• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

‘100 Innovations by Labour Councils’.

14 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

What an odd document. For example:

Improving education and supporting children

Boosting literacy rates

The performance of Newham’s children in reading and writing using phonics has improved from 27th to 3rd according to the latest phonics screening check statistics released by the DFE in September 2016.

It is the largest programme of its type in the country and the borough’s Key Stage 1 results place Newham third in London and England, with 87% of its pupils passing the screening check.

OK, that's great for Newham. And the other Labour Council Areas? Have they all moved up to the 3rd place in the league table? Or have they been pushed down as Newham moved up?

Or does everyone come top in the literacy tables, like a Wonderland Caucus Race?

Selecting one council's relative performance and implying that it apples to other councils is meaningless.

Edited by Happy Renting

8 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Got as far as Cardiff council building 18 new council houses to stave off the housing crisis..

Anything in that list that isn't an ineffectual vanity project ? 

• Training flats for former rough sleepers – there are currently two of these and there are plans to increase these to somewhere between 6 and 10

(Cambridge City Council has worked hard to give grants to homelessness organisations in the city; with £700,000 agreed for 2016/17.)

and

Helping young people get jobs
Nottingham City Council have continued their Nottingham Jobs Fund, helping young people into employment.
The council works with local employers to provide local jobs to Nottingham City residents between the ages of 18-24.

Are these jobs doing anything that is needed?

Are they pointless jobs, or is taxpayer's money being used to subsidise favoured local businesses?

Lovely.  Except that the actual experience of local councils is that they're nearly always completely useless, will stitch you up for anything and everything that they possibly can.  If you're normal and working they'll rub their hands with glee as they deprive you of your cash for very little in return (because there are those in need who deserve it more), whereas if you're of limited means and actually in need they'll demand you leap through lots of hoops to get any support at all.    Oh, and there's this middle bit that seems to take quite a large %age for that transfer of cash.

The thing I always want to see, but am never, ever, actually offered, is a nice historical comparison of how much money they get from people that actually work and what level of service they actually offer to those people.  They are very very keen to talk about 2010 as some kind of 'year zero' and that all has been destroyed since then, but I seem to recall councils having existed for decades before that, and what little information is offered suggests that before about 2000 they managed to offer more in the way of service for less in the way of payments.  And that is over a period where computerisation made massive reductions in the overheads required to run real-world services -- yet in the local council world that period only saw a rise in overhead costs.

I'll go back to one of my more favourite points -- that councils, like anything else connected to government, are experts in spending all the money and then a little bit more, and then asking for more money.  They're all the same; the only difference between Labour and Conservative run councils appears to be the type of vanity project they'll want to have (and the level at which councillors will accept bribes).

Oh, and 'innovative'?  In general, councils wouldn't understand 'innovative' if you bashed them over the head with it.  Oh, except, as noted above, in terms of extracting ever more money from the general householder.  

Blackpool Council has taken it upon themselves to give deprived children their breakfast. 

While I have no issue with feeding hungry children, I can't help but feel that if it wasn't for Labour creating a city full of hardcore benefit junkies in the first place, they wouldn't have to.

15 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Blackpool Council has taken it upon themselves to give deprived children their breakfast. 

While I have no issue with feeding hungry children, I can't help but feel that if it wasn't for Labour creating a city full of hardcore benefit junkies in the first place, they wouldn't have to.

Any parent unable to feed their kid breakfast shouldnt be allowed to look after a child. £3.50  or 30 minutes work would buy 2 boxes of own brand cereal and 8 pints of milk, enough for a family of 4/5.

15 minutes ago, Band said:

Any parent unable to feed their kid breakfast shouldnt be allowed to look after a child. £3.50  or 30 minutes work would buy 2 boxes of own brand cereal and 8 pints of milk, enough for a family of 4/5.

Doesn’t the truth hurt...

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

Got as far as Cardiff council building 18 new council houses to stave off the housing crisis..

Anything in that list that isn't an ineffectual vanity project ? 

The overwhelming message i take from that is they are very good a spending tax payers money on meaningless shite

To use the fact that probably the largest council in Wales managed to build 18 houses as something to strive towards is just pathetic ,i think they have scraped through the bottom of the barrel    

Edited by Long time lurking

1 minute ago, Long time lurking said:

The over whelming message i take from that is they are very good a spending tax payers money on meaning less shite

To use the fact that probably the largest council in Wales managed to build 18 houses as something to strive towards is just pathetic ,i think they have scraped through the bottom of the barrel    

The questions that need to be asked of each project councils do:

1. How many hours of council time were needed to make the bid for the project, carry out the project, assess the project. (how much money was needed to make this a reality)
2. How many new jobs were made.
3. Is the project self-supporting or a one off
4. How many people outside of the council have directly benefited from the project.

2 minutes ago, GARCH said:

Doesn’t the truth hurt...

Or they could save on the milk and mix water and milk together as i did as a kid when eating warmed up weetabix, shredded wheat, porridge.

10 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

The over whelming message i take from that is they are very good a spending tax payers money on meaning less shite

Yes if they had managed to come up with 1000 plots for self builders to sell at cost plus a 10k bonus for themselves for letting plebs live on their native soil i'd be more impressed.

One of the councils ive been dealing with asked me if id be willing to get involved in a scheme to knock down garages they own and use the land for the Right to build/self build scheme ... i said yes and showed them i have the means ... they got an architect company to see if it was viable ... it was ... then they decide to give the project to a housing association. To which brown envelopes must have been involved.

Cunts the lot of them, need closing down and just have everything organised centrally as its a lottery as to whether you get a shite council or a fucken shit council.

No mention of Norwich City Council on that list.

They are building what's thought to be the largest Passivhaus development in the UK (around 100 new council homes to rent). Not due to be completed until the Summer though so maybe why that hasn't been featured.

Labour - very good at spending other peoples' money.

4 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Improving education and supporting children

Boosting literacy rates

The performance of Newham’s children in reading and writing using phonics has improved from 27th to 3rd according to the latest phonics screening check statistics released by the DFE in September 2016.

It is the largest programme of its type in the country and the borough’s Key Stage 1 results place Newham third in London and England, with 87% of its pupils passing the screening check.

I've been involved in education in London, and one of the reasons London outperforms the rest of the country is that it has a high proportion of Asian families/students or sutdents from other cultures who value education much more then other population demographics. Last time I looked I think almost half of the school aged population in Newham is Asian. I don't think local politicians have anything to do with it.

In education, Asians are usually the top performers. White British are towards the bottom. If the demographics of your area change from predominantly White British to predominantly Asian, statistically you are likely to see an increase in educational outcomes.

It's bugger all to do with the council

Edited by Durabo

7 hours ago, Band said:

Oats. Milks. Bananas.

Toast if they are still hungry.

4 hours ago, Durabo said:

I've been involved in education in London, and one of the reasons London outperforms the rest of the country is that it has a high proportion of Asian families/students or sutdents from other cultures who value education much more then other population demographics. Last time I looked I think almost half of the school aged population in Newham is Asian. I don't think local politicians have anything to do with it.

In education, Asians are usually the top performers. White British are towards the bottom. If the demographics of your area change from predominantly White British to predominantly Asian, statistically you are likely to see an increase in educational outcomes.

Thats other countries Asians.

We get the lazy inbreeds.

12 hours ago, Durabo said:

Were there far fewer Asians there when Newnham was down in 27th place?

If not, your account does not explain Newnham's jump from 27th place to 3rd at all.

Yes - in the early 2000's White British was the predominant ethnic group in Newham. It is now firmly Asian, by a large percentage. I'm not saying that this ethnic mix is the sole reason - but it is certainly an important factor. It's also important to not only look at the the raw demographic data, but to drill down into the SCHOOL AGE demographic data.

The theory that one of the reasons behind London performing so well educationally is because of its ethnic mix of cultures that value education highly is well known and backed up by studies. If I remember rightly, White British (especially boys) and Bangladeshi are the two worst performing ethnic groups in the British Education system so any school with low numbers of these ethnic groups and high numbers of e.g. Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian pupils will, statistically, perform very well.

It is not the only reason for London's success of course, but it is certainly a factor.

Edited by Durabo

8 hours ago, Durabo said:

Yes - in the early 2000's White British was the predominant ethnic group in Newham. It is now firmly Asian, by a large percentage. I'm not saying that this ethnic mix is the sole reason - but it is certainly an important factor. It's also important to not only look at the the raw demographic data, but to drill down into the SCHOOL AGE demographic data.

The theory that one of the reasons behind London performing so well educationally is because of its ethnic mix of cultures that value education highly is well known and backed up by studies. If I remember rightly, White British (especially boys) and Bangladeshi are the two worst performing ethnic groups in the British Education system so any school with low numbers of these ethnic groups and high numbers of e.g. Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian pupils will, statistically, perform very well.

It is not the only reason for London's success of course, but it is certainly a factor.

London does well as it gets a lot more spend to head.

The first batch of migrants are slways very keen to work hard and study.

Problem comes 15 years later when housing has gone to next batch if migrants, and tgry are exoected to pay tax for tgem. Do they dont bother working.

8 hours ago, Durabo said:

So is this influx of academically focused asians centred on Newham? Have they descended all in one borough? Or are there similar immigrants elsewhere in the country, who would presumably have a similar effect on academic performance in those boroughs, and surely militate against any movement of Newham up the performance tables?