DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

TheCountOfNowhere

Hi All,

What a year!!!

The shit is hitting the fan big time and next years going to be worse/better

I'm in blighty for Christmas now and the place looks fucked. 

I think we will see loads of collapsing retail companies in Q1 2019. Everyone says to me, don't buy vouchers for the kids...

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Debenhams Plc. I personally feel SuperDry Plc has a problem with the brand. Really shocking these fast moving consumer goods. Think they might be toast in a year or two or maybe Mike Ashley will pick them up? Oh dear.

https://news.sky.com/story/superdry-co-founders-fears-for-its-future-11584430

Superdry co-founder Julian Dunkerton has said he fears for the future of the fashion brand unless it changes course - after its latest profit warning left the share price 80% below its peak earlier this year.

Mr Dunkerton is calling for shareholders to bring him back to the company he left in March and carry out a shake-up of its strategy after "bad decisions" made over the past year.”

8BB45B9B-2FBF-44E8-A1DA-E33EAD48052C.jpeg

Edited by Ash4781b
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

A lot of the collapsing share prices I see looked like they'd go under in 2008, then things started booming....

Yes, after Governments around the world fired up the printing presses and created astronomical quanities of money.

Edited by Errol
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Debenhams Plc. I personally feel SuperDry Plc has a problem with the brand. Really shocking these fast moving consumer goods. Think they might be toast in a year or two or maybe Mike Ashley will pick them up? Oh dear.

https://news.sky.com/story/superdry-co-founders-fears-for-its-future-11584430

Superdry co-founder Julian Dunkerton has said he fears for the future of the fashion brand unless it changes course - after its latest profit warning left the share price 80% below its peak earlier this year.

Mr Dunkerton is calling for shareholders to bring him back to the company he left in March and carry out a shake-up of its strategy after "bad decisions" made over the past year.”

8BB45B9B-2FBF-44E8-A1DA-E33EAD48052C.jpeg

Haha Superdry waht happened?

One of the co-founders of the fashion label Superdry has donated £1m to the campaign for another EU referendum.

Multi-millionaire Julian Dunkerton said he was backing the People's Vote campaign because "we have a genuine chance to turn this around".

The People's Vote, a cross-party group including some MPs, want a public vote on the final Brexit deal.

The government has ruled out another referendum after Britain voted to leave the EU in June 2016.

The UK is on course to leave the EU on 29 March next year.

Brexit: All you need to know
Have voters changed their minds about Brexit?
Gary Lineker backs Brexit vote campaign
Mr Dunkerton said he believes the brand he co-launched "would never have become the global success that it did" if Brexit had happened 20 years earlier.

His donation, the largest received by the People's Vote, will go towards funding opinion polls.

He added: "I will be paying for one of the most detailed polling exercises ever undertaken by a campaign so that more and more people have the confidence to demand the democratic right for their voice to be heard."

However, Conservative MP Andrew Bridgen - a leading Brexit backer - said the People's Vote campaign was not about democracy.

He told the So-Called BBC: "Actually what their declared intent is is to overturn the democratic decision of 2016 to leave the EU."

Here :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45235655

Superdry are delusional, that's why they're suffering. Nobody wants to spend £50 on a pair of Superdry joggers, that used to be £20. They don't have that premium brand cachet.

The other thing is that fashions (obviously) change, and one hip brand is quickly out of favour within a year. Did they honestly think that the Superdry brand would last forever? It reached a critical mass about 2 years ago and everyone even your Dad had a Superdry jacket. Now it's a bit jaded I think.

His anti-Brexit whinging has put a few people off too I'd wager. I know it has for me, anyway.

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, spunko said:

The other thing is that fashions (obviously) change, and one hip brand is quickly out of favour within a year. Did they honestly think that the Superdry brand would last forever? It reached a critical mass about 2 years ago and everyone even your Dad had a Superdry jacket. Now it's a bit jaded I think.

His anti-Brexit whinging has put a few people off too I'd wager. I know it has for me, anyway.

Absolutely, i remember Lonsdale were massive in the early to mid 80s and all the then celebs were wearing them and they grew massively. By the late 90s they were back to 1 little shop in Soho but boy did they make a comeback in the noughties so you never know when a brand might return..i cant see Superdry beigna ble to wait the 2 decades to find out though!

As an aside i have previously wondered who owns some of the previously hot but now long dead fashion brands of the past, im thinking British Knight trainers (huge late 80s then disappeared), then theres that dayglo t shirt that changed colour with the heat, cant remember the brand name right now. If there was a chance of buying and resurrecting one of them it could be a licence to print money ☺

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Absolutely, i remember Lonsdale were massive in the early to mid 80s and all the then celebs were wearing them and they grew massively. By the late 90s they were back to 1 little shop in Soho but boy did they make a comeback in the noughties so you never know when a brand might return..i cant see Superdry beigna ble to wait the 2 decades to find out though!

As an aside i have previously wondered who owns some of the previously hot but now long dead fashion brands of the past, im thinking British Knight trainers (huge late 80s then disappeared), then theres that dayglo t shirt that changed colour with the heat, cant remember the brand name right now. If there was a chance of buying and resurrecting one of them it could be a licence to print money ☺

Lonsdale is one of Mike Ashley's brands sold at Sports Direct, bit down market these days but ok for cheap underwear and tee shirts.

46 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

They tried to relaunch Kappa and Ellesse from the 90s recently, didn't really work out. FCUK were relaunched from the original name French Connection, they had a good run but it faded too.

Anyone remember Von Dutch baseball caps? £40 odd back in the day. Don't cringe..

von-dutch-001.jpg

• Agree 2

A lot of those second tier brands (Ellesse; Canterbury; Boxfresh etc) are owned by Pentland Group who are the biggest shareholders in JD Sports. They also own a few proper sport brands such as Speedo and Mitre.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Castlevania said:

A lot of those second tier brands (Ellesse; Canterbury; Boxfresh etc) are owned by Pentland Group who are the biggest shareholders in JD Sports. They also own a few proper sport brands such as Speedo and Mitre.

JD Sports are spamming me weekly with promotions about buying their stuff on the never-never with Klarna. If I had to wager a guess I'd say their sales are sinking too.

5 hours ago, spunko said:

Out of interest why card factory, I haven't seen them being shorted unlike the others.

Card factory is a market stall/cheap Norther shop operation, turbo charged by PE and listing.

Last few years has sen it take on loads of shops.

All the leases will end their low  / no initial rent period and theyll have to pay cash for them.

Card factory was pretty much desgiend to blow up.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

JD Sports are spamming me weekly with promotions about buying their stuff on the never-never with Klarna. If I had to wager a guess I'd say their sales are sinking too.

I buy the kids odds and sods fro SD - school sports kit, tracky bottoms.

Ive never paid the full price fr anything in SD_ the till people have never manged to scan all he items.

7 hours ago, spunko said:

Superdry are delusional, that's why they're suffering. Nobody wants to spend £50 on a pair of Superdry joggers, that used to be £20. They don't have that premium brand cachet.

The other thing is that fashions (obviously) change, and one hip brand is quickly out of favour within a year.

every fucker has got a superdry jacket around here has there best big coat.mind half of them are also wearing tescos finest twin striped joggers.

• Informative 1

TheCountOfNowhere
3 hours ago, Green Devil said:

Another day, another DOW Jones Crash! :Jumping:

The Fed didn't tell the gamblers what they wanted to here.

In case anyone was in doubt...the recovery has begun.

12 hours ago, spunko said:

Out of interest why card factory, I haven't seen them being shorted unlike the others.

I've shroted them twice myself over the last few months.Retial is struggling,they're paying high end rents selling expensive cards in places with decreasing footfall.AS Spy says,after a few rounds of bonuses there may not be much left.Currently not short.

Short interest is at 1.4% but that's likely becuase people are busy elsewhere.

https://shorttracker.co.uk/company/GB00BLY2F708/

Edited by sancho panza

Long time lurking
On 20/12/2018 at 10:31, spunko said:

The death of any "hip" brand for sure 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Paperchase could be one to watch. Profits were down 80+% in their 2017 FY and this FY was a £6+M loss. 

They've aggressively expanded their store footprint into a weakening sector and economy. Credit insurance now difficult to come by for them. I don't think consumers will want to pay £10 for a notepad when the SHTF. I went into one in my annual excursion for xmas presents; full of crap you don't need marked up at very high prices. The Maplin of the stationery world.

Didn't realize JD sports or their owners owned a lot of brands.  Sports direct seemed to base a lot of focus on buying once stellar brands for pennies when down and out.  I'll always remember circa 15 years ago finding a supposed "bargain" with x% off a pair of karrimore boots.  Only later realizing they weren't really karrimore anymore.  Once bitten twice shy and all that, but clearly the business practice works well for them.  

So JD and sports owning a hell of a lot of brands.  Really means a lot less nowadays compared to a few years ago.  

• Agree 1

hmv bites the dust, i was shocked, shocked i tell you. Shocked that HMV was still trading more like. Its the blockbuster of music.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, leonardratso said:

hmv bites the dust, i was shocked, shocked i tell you. Shocked that HMV was still trading more like. Its the blockbuster of music.

At a guess the current owners bought the debt of the company with borrowed money ... then have been borrowing as much as they can to take out the company ever since.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/jan/22/hmv-lifeline-hilco-debt-deal