DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

On 19/12/2018 at 14:26, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Hi All,

What a year!!!

The shit is hitting the fan big time and next years going to be worse/better

I'm in blighty for Christmas now and the place looks fucked. 

I think we will see loads of collapsing retail companies in Q1 2019. Everyone says to me, don't buy vouchers for the kids...

That's good advice. I recently treated my brothers to a motorsport 'voucher' for xmas. needless to say it's underwritten by me turning up on the day and buying the experience rather than a prepaid event. I do not have faith in a lot of companies being able to honour any voucher in the future. 

btw I'm glad the French thing seems to be working out for you so far. It is a wonderful country. Questionable politics but what a territory! Mountains, the Med, wonderful canyons, huge plains AND great value housing. I wish you the best. 

On 19/12/2018 at 22:13, Errol said:

Yes, after Governments around the world fired up the printing presses and created astronomical quanities of money.

Was wondering t the governments creating it though, or private banks?

On 20/12/2018 at 11:02, Sugarlips said:

Absolutely, i remember Lonsdale were massive in the early to mid 80s and all the then celebs were wearing them and they grew massively. By the late 90s they were back to 1 little shop in Soho but boy did they make a comeback in the noughties so you never know when a brand might return..i cant see Superdry beigna ble to wait the 2 decades to find out though!

As an aside i have previously wondered who owns some of the previously hot but now long dead fashion brands of the past, im thinking British Knight trainers (huge late 80s then disappeared), then theres that dayglo t shirt that changed colour with the heat, cant remember the brand name right now. If there was a chance of buying and resurrecting one of them it could be a licence to print money ☺

Global Hypercolour!

• Agree 1

Bedrag Justesen
41 minutes ago, eek said:

In the USA, Sears seems to have finally given up trying to survive...

John Lewis isn't being watched as closely as maybe it should be, because everybody is waiting for Debenhams to shut the doors.

Shopping centres losing John Lewis, Selfridges, M&S will find filling such large units impossible.

We could see more examples like the Co-Op handing over department store sites for charity shops to run.

9 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

John Lewis isn't being watched as closely as maybe it should be, because everybody is waiting for Debenhams to shut the doors.

Shopping centres losing John Lewis, Selfridges, M&S will find filling such large units impossible.

We could see more examples like the Co-Op handing over department store sites for charity shops to run.

I suspect Selfridges (and Harrods) will live a lot longer than anyone else - they seem to know how to be a premium store. Harvey Nicks on the other hand I suspect won't last long in Manchester / Leeds....

• Agree 1

sancho panza
19 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

It is on here bedrag.

I was in there a while back with mrs P buying baby stuff and for the square footage(I know they're an anchor store and pay naff all in rent) but they weren't even covering their wage bill for chunks of the store-kids clothers n shoes,toys,mens clothing.Busy bits were perfumes and computers.

They're in more trouble than people realise imho.

• Agree 1

Bloody awful numbers from Mothercare Plc (no real surprise really).

Interesting Sainsbury’s numbers seem to suggest Argos looks in poor shape. Am I surprised. Not really. 

On shopping centres Intu Plc still looks like a basket case. As in posts upthread how can they fill them? 

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

It is on here bedrag.

I was in there a while back with mrs P buying baby stuff and for the square footage(I know they're an anchor store and pay naff all in rent) but they weren't even covering their wage bill for chunks of the store-kids clothers n shoes,toys,mens clothing.Busy bits were perfumes and computers.

Well they have their price guarantee thingy. Lots of retailers ditched there’s (eg Tesco). No idea how they make it work but tbh not seen recent margin guidance. John Lewis seem very focussed on sales volume reporting. Fair enough as they are a different model. 

Bedrag Justesen
1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

It is on here bedrag.

Yes, I should have been clearer that I meant MSM don't seem to have JL on their radar despite their profits collapse last year.

I know we call them Gone Lewis on here. :)

Bedrag Justesen
34 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Well they have their price guarantee thingy. Lots of retailers ditched there’s (eg Tesco). No idea how they make it work but tbh not seen recent margin guidance. John Lewis seem very focussed on sales volume reporting. Fair enough as they are a different model. 

JL never knowingly undersold doesn't fool anybody these days.

The generation that swore by JL seems to have changed to a generation that swears at JL.

Trying to follow routine TV purchases on AV forums for example, shows how random their price match can be.

I know I've posted my experience before of visiting their TV department. The model seems to be employing 'partners' on near minimum wage with no particular incentive to make a sale, other than a variable end of year bonus.

Part-time fifty-something Mums reading product info cards prompting in-store customers to go home and buy on JL website.

Competitors have reacted to the JL tactic of selling by 'giving' a 5 year guarantee on televisions, or a 3 year guarantee on Apple products by matching the offer.

I was practically encouraged to find out the info I needed from a Sony Centre, then go back to JL because they'll give their 5 year guarantee and 'try' to match the best price. They didn't tell me they would charge for taking away the old TV and other 'hidden' extra costs. 

Same with tablet, find out everything from Apple Store, go back to JL for their 2 years extra guarantee.

If that's not parasitic I don't know what else you would call it.

Yet, according to MSM, JL are a paragon of virtue. A national treasure.

Smoke and mirrors.

On 09/01/2019 at 11:16, Ash4781b said:

Bloody awful numbers from Mothercare Plc (no real surprise really).

Interesting Sainsbury’s numbers seem to suggest Argos looks in poor shape. Am I surprised. Not really. 

On shopping centres Intu Plc still looks like a basket case. As in posts upthread how can they fill them? 

Intu today at Broadmarsh, Nottingham...

Main Square ...all shops boarded up, just a Market selling luggage.

20190110_113037.thumb.jpg.990baff016e419282021054ffc3ee03d.jpg

"More this way"....other than the luggage not got to anything yet.:wanker:

20190110_113004.thumb.jpg.c7039c5bbf0fde8bb0b347fef47f3fa5.jpg

And all shops to the right of that, gone...

20190110_113015.thumb.jpg.aff848c04792ee00f396d5c87613912e.jpg

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

When the local shopping centre sells nothing but luggage, it really is time to leave. xD

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

It looks quiet too. No shops, no customers = Dead malls.

9 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Looks like shots of 1960/70 Soviet Russia.

• Agree 2

On 10/01/2019 at 20:59, Errol said:

Looks like shots of 1960/70 Soviet Russia.

Complete with propaganda slogans on the walls.

No grain to waste!

New fighters will arise!

Land, Bread, Peace!

russian-1000000-tractors.jpg

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Complete with propaganda slogans on the walls.

No grain to waste!

New fighters will arise!

Land, Bread, Peace!

I really like this one:

11420827.jpg

...thanks to Tony Blair recycling all 3 words of it:

new-labour-education-policy.jpg?resize=6

And the aftermath of simultaneously devaluing the education and making it very expensive. 

sleepwello'nights
14 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

I really like this one:

...thanks to Tony Blair recycling all 3 words of it:

And the aftermath of simultaneously devaluing the education and making it very expensive. 

It lifted the cap on places and allowed more school leavers to have the "opportunity" of higher education.

3 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

It lifted the cap on places and allowed more school leavers to have the "opportunity" of higher education.

And allowed employers to parse out their training costs to the taxpayers\their future employees...and then they still have the audacity to complain when aplicants skills don't match that of their individual company profile/requirements!

• Agree 1