DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

2 hours ago, gibbon said:

"Hey freelancer come work at our office, which is just like the place you used to work at and hated in your coporate gig, except this time you'll have to pay £1k a month pleasure. But it's ok because we'll give you an 7 year olds school desk and chair we found in the skip and place it next to the toilets. You'll be so hip. You'll also get to play foosball with all the other mugs so it's totally worth £1k a month."

Or you could just work from home and use skype...all for £0.

Free beer, cider and prosecco on tap :)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, dgul said:

And then you go mad and start looking forwards to having a conversation with the postman.

It can be important to have some of the social interaction that comes with 'an office'.  But the Wework thing is bonkers expensive compared with what is actually needed.

I know loads of people who work from home and haven't gone mad, myself included. Although I admit I do know one or two people who couldn't hack it and went back to the office. However, It wasn't like all the offices I worked at were exactly full of scintillating conversation either. Mostly centred on idle gossip or football from what I can recall when you're not sat staring at computer along with all the other drones. Then there's the fact if you do technical work requiring high levels of concentration, they stick you in these open-plan offices with interruptions every few seconds.

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 4

Wight Flight
3 hours ago, dgul said:

And then you go mad and start looking forwards to having a conversation with the postman.

Or start believing that people on DOSBODS are real.

9 hours ago, gibbon said:

"Hey freelancer come work at our office, which is just like the place you used to work at and hated in your coporate gig, except this time you'll have to pay £1k a month pleasure. But it's ok because we'll give you an 7 year olds school desk and chair we found in the skip and place it next to the toilets. You'll be so hip. You'll also get to play foosball with all the other mugs so it's totally worth £1k a month."

Or you could just work from home and use skype...all for £0.

You need some variety/seperation i lefe/work.

Ive worked from home a lot.

DOnt get int othe dafty idea or blurring home n work.

The best way to handle home work/distance work is to:

- go for a 30m walk before starting work. I do my walk, have a shower, then start working. I need the separation between home-home and home-work.

-Get a cheap pay by the day  office space. Most councils offer them for a few quid day - £50/week. I used these when I needed a lot of spration and low distractions.

-Make use of coffee shops and the like, esp mon-fri day time. They are empty and you can get a quiet corner for ~3h for the price of a coffee.

Or the library. Use your phone data connection. I an do a *lot* of remote admin, half way roudn the world with android phone,bluetooth kbd and a shh terminal.

• Agree 2

sancho panza

Took the junior Panzas to Twinlakes a smaller amusement type park for young uns in Liecs.Place was desperately empty really,except for some peole who bought annual passes at half price and bring hteir own lunch.

Lots of staff stood there with nothing to do.

Woukld love to know how Merlin was doing on the ground

UnconventionalWisdom
7 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Took the junior Panzas to Twinlakes a smaller amusement type park for young uns in Liecs.Place was desperately empty really,except for some peole who bought annual passes at half price and bring hteir own lunch.

I was near to billing aquedrome near Northampton a couple of years ago. Used to hang out there as a kid. Went in with my dad and it's a sorry state. Only a few rides and the arcade. We played a little mini golf, but the place is so bad compared with 20 years ago. Not sure how these smaller places survive at all.

UnconventionalWisdom
17 hours ago, dgul said:

It can be important to have some of the social interaction that comes with 'an office'.  But the Wework thing is bonkers expensive compared with what is actually needed.

I get what you mean but I think as long as you live near people and meet up with them during the evening, you have the best of both worlds. Efficient at working so job gets done quick, no time lost on the commute and you can chat with people you actually like. Holy grail may be working from home but having Skype calls with colleagues when needed

Edited by UnconventionalWisdom
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I would hazard there are a lot of businesses built on TC slush money.

With UC being rolled out, there are cuts to the cash being paid out.

Lots of tnese inflatable n kids play areas were pure single mum gossip groups.

9 hours ago, leonardratso said:

shh terminal, sounds quiet.

Sshecure....

Intu Plc. Market cap down to £500mn. I’m with the pessimists (though you will find +ve articles looking at metrics focusing on net asset value discounts). For me I’m struggling to see how they can repurpose their big centres to generate the required footfall and rental income to support the asset values. 

Edited by Ash4781b
  • Agree 1

sancho panza
5 hours ago, Ash4781b said:

Intu Plc. Market cap down to £500mn. I’m with the pessimists (though you will find +ve articles looking at metrics focusing on net asset value discounts). For me I’m struggling to see how they can repurpose their big centres to generate the required footfall and rental income to support the asset values. 

Me too.They're all jsut managing long term declines from here.The only way to get a decent yield now is to buy these properties for very little

https://uk.investing.com/indices/ftse-supersector-real-estat-components

image.png.aae416105b63ccc84e86811e1932d1c7.png

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, xiox said:

It might collapse at a later date.

However ...

Its a Saudi slush fund, so will be bailed out to save face.

The Uber n WeWork are junk.

The rest is not junk.

Theyd have done better by giving a chimp a dart.

sancho panza

Can't be long before the basement dwellers don't have the option of sifting through the reductions at Waitorse.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/08/department-stores-in-2019/

no secret that mid-market department stores such as House of Fraser, Debenhams, John Lewis and even Marks & Spencer have been faltering for some time now, battling numerous fronts. So much so that in 2018, the number of department stores in England fell 25 per cent in less than a decade to just 180, according to research from crowdfunding marketplace Lendy.

The most recent full-year trading update for the John Lewis Partnership – the holding company for the eponymous department store chain – saw total revenue rise by a mere one per cent year-on-year to £10.3 billion, while operating profit plummeted 45.4 per cent from £292.8 million to £160 million.

The profit declines were driven by a 55.5 per cent year-on-year crash in operating profit from John Lewis, as well as a 1.4 per cent decline in like-for-like sales across the department store chain.

As a result, John Lewis Partnership slashed staff bonuses to just three per cent – the lowest since the mid-1950s. Outgoing chairman Charlie Mayfield said at the time that he expected “2019 trading conditions to remain challenging”. Early indications shows he may be right – the partnership’s weekly trading update has shown fluctuating results for John Lewis.

• Agree 1

On 18/08/2019 at 23:01, sancho panza said:

Me too.They're all jsut managing long term declines from here.The only way to get a decent yield now is to buy these properties for very little

https://uk.investing.com/indices/ftse-supersector-real-estat-components

image.png.aae416105b63ccc84e86811e1932d1c7.png

Yeah It's interesting for the long term. I imagine there are smart people waiting in the wings with a transformation idea for the future. I can only think maybe housing. Yeah we had a few stories when Debenhams was going tits up about gyms, and nurseries, etc. Maybe they’ll just get mothballed.

1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

To be honest, I was following the hill billies when they were falling out a few years ago.

Anyone who invests in  that collection of gormless agri contractors playing at being a business is nuts.

sancho panza

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/08/ann-summers-wins-rent-deals-cva-still-cards/

Ann Summers has won better property terms from landlords on most of its 100-store estate, though a CVA may be considered if property owners refuse to be more flexible.

The lingerie and sex toy retailer’s chief executive, Jacqueline Gold told Retail Week: “There has been a fundamental shift in the retail property market” and she, like other retail leaders, has been seeking lower rent as shopping habits change and amid tough trading conditions.”

• Agree 1

On 03/08/2019 at 15:55, gibbon said:

Checking right move month my lettings agent let 13 properties. At £500 a pop fee to the landlord that's in income of £6.5k. Pre-lettings fee ban when they were charging £400 PER TENANT reckon they'd be taking in £10k-£15k month easy. Two owners work there. They are fucked. Sometimes good things do happen in the world.

See they've only let 5 properties this month so far. Forgot that their £500 landlord fee will include VAT, so they are actually only making £400 per let. That's just £2k this month. I'd have thought this month would have been a busy one as well. 

I'm getting a schendfrauderboner

• Agree 2

https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/8/bad-designs-kevin-mcclouds-investors-face-huge-losses

Investors in Kevin McCloud (aka Grand Designs) face losing "up to 97%" of their investment. Best case is they will loose 74% :CryBaby: A shame as I like unusual properties but it looks like they're no more profitable than traditional projects.

• Agree 1

Chewing Grass
1 minute ago, Andersen said:

https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/8/bad-designs-kevin-mcclouds-investors-face-huge-losses

Investors in Kevin McCloud (aka Grand Designs) face losing "up to 97%" of their investment. Best case is they will loose 74% :CryBaby: A shame as I like unusual properties but it looks like they're no more profitable than traditional projects.

Sing after me:-

'A house, is a house, of course of course,
and no one can talk up a house of course,
that is, of course, unless the house is by the famous Mr. Kev.'

Need a word to replace course that rhymes with house....