DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

3 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Holy smoly batman

https://www.cityam.com/peer-to-peer-lender-fundingsecure-enters-administration/

Peer-to-peer investment and lending platform Fundingsecure has gone into administration, the financial regulator announced.

Fundingsecure operated a peer-to-peer lending platform that facilitated crowdfunded loans and pawn-broking style loans secured against valuable items.

It had emerged in May that the platform was suffering from mounting defaults. The Telegraph reported that £24m of loans in Fundingsecure’s £88m loan book were considered in default or expected to default.

A further £33m was found to be in forebearance – meaning the platform had extended the loan time because the borrower was unable to repay it.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/17978858.lunchbox-theatrical-productions-goes-administration/

THE company behind Shakespeare’s Rose Theatre has gone into administration, The Press can reveal.

Last month, The Press reported that Shakespeare’s Rose Theatre Ltd, which has brought a pop-up theatre to York for the past two summers, was set to go into liquidation, seemingly ending any hope of the attraction returning to York next year. It has since entered liquidation, according to its joint liquidator, Rob Sadler.

The news about Shakespeare’s Rose Theatre entering liquidation comes after it suffered “unsustainable losses” from its recent seasons in York and at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, a spokesperson for the business told The Press last month.

The pop-up theatre attracted only 47,000 visitors in York this year, compared to 78,000 visitors last year. At Blenheim Palace only 38,000 people attended this year, whereas a figure of 75,000 was anticipated.

But only one notice in LG

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/insolvency/notice?results-page-size=10&numberOfLocationSearches=1&location-distance-1=1&sort-by=latest-date&categorycode=G205010000+G206030000&service=insolvency&text=fundingsecure

On 19/09/2019 at 16:17, spygirl said:

Im hearing of locals who've bought several 10k worth of stock @ 20p-35p

Theyve lost  ~90% of their cash.

This will be huge.

Expect a far few holiday lets to come on the market.

I hope so as il be buying one.;)

Dropping like flies today. I always wonder how hairdressers make any money at all given current rent levels. Barbers in particular.

53 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Supercuts.

Who on earth thinks you scale a hairdresser up?

Edited by Bear Hug

On 25/10/2019 at 11:50, spygirl said:

Ill go out on a limb - Amazon

If only... This cancerous tumour will grow and grow.

The only thing that will kill it is government regulation, same with Google et al. But this is years off still.

17 minutes ago, spunko said:

If only... This cancerous tumour will grow and grow.

The only thing that will kill it is government regulation, same with Google et al. But this is years off still.

I might have called it.

Shoppy bits gushing losses.

Aws, is the cash bit. Just lost pentagon contract.

59 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I might have called it.

Shoppy bits gushing losses.

Aws, is the cash bit. Just lost pentagon contract.

I don't understand why AWS is so popular, it's counter intuitive and expensive.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

I don't understand why AWS is so popular, it's counter intuitive and expensive.

Its better than googles cloud stuff. Google have history of plug pulling.

Aws has always offered useful, clear offerings. Although the cost piles up if you estimate wrong.

To be frank, ive given up trying to price hosted services, which is what they are.

Theres a *lot* of small orgs using aws, either directly or via another company.

It works for them. And they struggle with something like linode or a raw service.

Just now, spygirl said:

Its better than googles cloud stuff. Google have history of plug pulling.

Aws has always offered useful, clear offerings. Although the cost piles up if you estimate wrong.

To be frank, ive given up trying to price hosted services, which is what they are.

Theres a *lot* of small orgs using aws, either directly or via another company.

It works for them. And they struggle with something like linode or a raw service.

How can anyone struggle with Linode but not struggle with AWS? I don't understand that at all. The interface on AWS makes me want to kill someone - UX is awful.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

How can anyone struggle with Linode but not struggle with AWS? I don't understand that at all. The interface on AWS makes me want to kill someone - UX is awful.

I dont know. But they do.

Ive scripted stuff for years, going back 25 years to the grand daddy - tcl.

From experience, ive always stuck some sort if character based mmi on everything i do, be it a tiny 64k controller (if i get the ok for blowing 5c on a uart...) to a few million of networked grunt.

Ssh can get thru most betworks. Http cant.

However, out a cmdline inftont of 99.99% and they freeze.

• Agree 1

King of Fools
On 18/10/2019 at 11:59, white110 said:

Went into admin, BBC piece

Hard to make money in that market. I believe even the big players (Arla, Miller) don’t make any money from white milk (I might be wrong, but Muller announced the closure of their Foston dairy recently).

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/10/retail-insolvencies-hit-five-year-high-insolvency-service-statistics-rpc/

There has been no let-up in the number of retail businesses entering insolvency, with new figures published today showing it has reached a five-year high.

According to data from Insolvency Service statistics, there were 1252 insolvencies in the retail industry in the last year, compared to 1232 the year before.

Insolvencies in the sector have not only hit a five-year high, they are also 31 per cent higher than the 958 insolvencies recorded in the year before the 2016 Brexit referendum.

Compared to five years ago, retail insolvencies have risen by 16 per cent.

Bonmarche went insolvent in October, while high-profile names such as Links of London and Karen Millen did so earlier this year.

“There hasn’t been any let up of pressure on retailers in the last year,” said Tim Moynihan, a senior associate at law firm RPC, said.

He said one of the reasons behind the increase is because funding from lenders or private equity backers was becoming “extremely hard” to achieve, especially for smaller retailers.

He added that this was a “problem” because retailers need to increase their investment to ensure they can capitalise on and survive the growing trend of consumers shifting towards online retail.

Retail insolvencies hit five-year highInsolvency Service statistics“Retailers have also now had six months since the 5% rise in the minimum wage – costs that have to be borne by shops themselves as they have a low chance of passing that cost onto customers,” Moynihan said.

“Hopefully there is some good news on the horizon as we get towards a Brexit deal.

“That said, there are difficulties for the retailers across Europe – for example, Vodafone is planning on closing around 1000 of its European stores.”

Edited by sancho panza
  • Agree 1

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/10/high-street-turmoil-impacts-boots-sales/

Boots has posted sliding sales in the UK as its US-based parent company hailed overall growth for the past year.

The British health and beauty retailer saw fourth quarter sales decline by 2.1 per cent year-on-year in the UK, after like-for-like pharmacy sales slipped one per cent.

Boots’ sales were hit by lower volumes, a decrease in NHS funding, and “challenging” retail conditions.

Like-for-like retail sales in the UK fell by 2.7 per cent, although Walgreens Boots Alliance said Boots maintained its market share as high street competitors also saw sales wane.

Lower retail sales and margin in the UK weighed on profits for the international arm, with adjusted gross profits falling 5.4 per cent over the quarter.

In July, Boots confirmed plans to shut down around 200 stores over the next 18 months, placing thousands of jobs at risk.

Walgreens Boots Alliance said the store closures would primarily focus on local pharmacy branches in areas where it has other stores nearby.

Edited by sancho panza
  • Agree 1

Homebase can't have long left. Went in to buy a dust mask. Walked around for 10 minutes with assistant looking before she said they are out of stock. Very few customers on a Saturday morning. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gloommonger said:

Homebase can't have long left. Went in to buy a dust mask. Walked around for 10 minutes with assistant looking before she said they are out of stock. Very few customers on a Saturday morning. 

Homebase keeps on refusing to die.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

How can they be out of stock of something so basic? Dust masks are required for any serious DIY jobs.

1 minute ago, Errol said:

How can they be out of stock of something so basic? Dust masks are required for any serious DIY jobs.

I thought they had already died!

Fucking hopeless company.

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Retailmageddon, the perfect storm is coming, expect it to be the crappest Xmas ever.

Ah.

I'll be reported as great around November.  Terrible early December.  Fantastic just before Christmas.  Disappointing just after.  

Then, just after they start going bankrupt when the rent comes due end Jan, we'll find out the awful truth.

• Agree 1