DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Ye,s but she could not have gone to Uni too.

Again, if the numbers/age are right then its someone who's no experience outside of JL.

True.  I was assuming no more (full time) education. 

TheCountOfNowhere
23 minutes ago, Errol said:

John Lewis is doomed. Old-style shopping is never coming back.

Their customer base is either rapidly dying or rapidly running out of debt 

• Agree 2

sancho panza

cinemas.took eldest panza to star wars.fiver each.cheaper than the 90's.

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/01/06/brick-mortar-meltdown-at-movie-theaters-neither-extra-comfy-chairs-nor-bars-can-reverse-the-decline/

Movie ticket sales fell 5.2% in 2019 to 1.244 billion tickets, according to movie data provider The Numbers. This is a 21% plunge from the peak in 2002, when 1.58 billion tickets were sold, and a 14% drop from 20 years ago in 1999, and just a hair above where ticket sales had been in 1995:

US-movie-ticket-sales-2019-.png

On a per-capita basis, ticket sales look a whole lot worse. In 2002, there were 287.6 million people in the US; in 2019, there were 328.2 million people. So on a per-capita basis, ticked sales dropped by 31% from 5.5 tickets per person on average in 2002 to 3.8 tickets per person in 2019.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Iamcynical said:

She can have worked full time at 17. Straight from gcse's to work, she could have been 16.

I believe she did.  It's a shame someone who sort of worked their way up could not have pulled it off, as opposed to the usual hiring of a premier league wunderkid.

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/01/06/brick-mortar-meltdown-at-movie-theaters-neither-extra-comfy-chairs-nor-bars-can-reverse-the-decline/

Movie ticket sales fell 5.2% in 2019 to 1.244 billion tickets, according to movie data provider The Numbers. This is a 21% plunge from the peak in 2002, when 1.58 billion tickets were sold, and a 14% drop from 20 years ago in 1999, and just a hair above where ticket sales had been in 1995:

On a per-capita basis, ticket sales look a whole lot worse. In 2002, there were 287.6 million people in the US; in 2019, there were 328.2 million people. So on a per-capita basis, ticked sales dropped by 31% from 5.5 tickets per person on average in 2002 to 3.8 tickets per person in 2019.

I bought a 49 inch blah blah TV a couple of weeks ago and put it in an alcove I included in a large cupboard, etc build.  Really improved the already excellent sound.  The room is multi-functional but will be used for movie nights.  I can always buy some popcorn and sprinkle it on the floor and fart a bit for the full cinematic experience!  Seriously, I nearly bought some shares for the div but just couldn't and the recent acquisition hype was like that ringing bell you should avoid.  That said, love me local small independent cinema, when they show the clever stuff.

Edited by Harley

4 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Their customer base is either rapidly dying or rapidly running out of debt 

I still remeber the first Waitrose i went in - one in wokingham, in 93ish.

Id come down for an interview and had gone in for food.

The contrast between that n the kwiksave in north  id been in a few days earlier were starck - food, people prices.

I blame jl decline on the free drink offer - attracted hordes of dawdling old people and other free loading scummers.

Waitrose now is like MnS was - full of oaps slowly walking round ajsles. Run up to xmas was terrible.

As long as JL still do the 5  guarantee tgen ill still get my telly from them. But thats a once in 15 year buy.

I bet they roll back the last 10 years of new stores.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

The contrast between that n the kwiksave in north  id been in a few days earlier were starck - food, people prices.

I blame jl decline on the free drink offer - attracted hordes of dawdling old people and other free loading scummers.

Waitrose now is like MnS was - full of oaps slowly walking round ajsles. Run up to xmas was terrible.

As long as JL still do the 5  guarantee tgen ill still get my telly from them. But thats a once in 15 year buy.

I disagree, I reckon the free drink offer attracted a lot more custom for them than they realise. The net cost of providing a free cup of coffee is about 30p, so easy for a supermarket to make back. I used to get free coffees all the time, but I go to Waitrose less now, not just for that reason as such, but it was one of the many. The whole model has changed, people do smaller shops more frequently, and they overstretched with too many stores. There are ~5 within 20 miles of me.

And yet there's only 1 in a city the size of Sheffield, they should have built more of them up north.

As for John Lewis, never shop there as don't see the point. The reviews on their online offering are shite. Why pay more for crap service.

Bedrag Justesen
32 minutes ago, spunko said:

I disagree, I reckon the free drink offer attracted a lot more custom for them than they realise. The net cost of providing a free cup of coffee is about 30p, so easy for a supermarket to make back. I used to get free coffees all the time, but I go to Waitrose less now, not just for that reason as such, but it was one of the many.

Mentioned before but since Waitrose stopped disposable cups their café has been deserted.

Customers taking their own permanent cup probably sounded a reasonable idea to the brainstormer straight from uni fuckwits planning eco-hypocrisy.

You only have to watch the recent BBC series filmed at Sainsbury's in conjunction with Open University to realise the disconnect between management and ground troops. A new Sainsbury's store in an area with high Jewish demographic, yet the management responsible for choosing the product range profile had no insight. It was only realised when they began trading and so many customers asked where are the Kosher products ?

Best of all the store trial for their cashless app, with a massive queue for the hidden 'secret' manned till stretching out the door.    

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

The coffee is good, I can drink whilst I shop. It's awesome. 

Shame that I need to bring my own mug now because of Gretta Thunberg.

They change the policy in the waitroise cafe where you no longer get a free drink there. It's as you say, all the OAPs would get a free coffee and a nibble and clog up all the tables. Why could they get a free coffee with a toast then but I can't get one with a full English today. It's BS.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I disagree, I reckon the free drink offer attracted a lot more custom for them than they realise. The net cost of providing a free cup of coffee is about 30p, so easy for a supermarket to make back. I used to get free coffees all the time, but I go to Waitrose less now, not just for that reason as such, but it was one of the many. The whole model has changed, people do smaller shops more frequently, and they overstretched with too many stores. There are ~5 within 20 miles of me.

And yet there's only 1 in a city the size of Sheffield, they should have built more of them up north.

As for John Lewis, never shop there as don't see the point. The reviews on their online offering are shite. Why pay more for crap service.

2019 was a terrible year for me so I slowly transitioned to Aldi (new gender, I claim copyright)

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, spygirl said:

JL card holders also get free coffee and cake every few months.  I kept on getting it and never really done much shopping.  The cafe is not bad I never even considered getting any food there which wasn't free.  I do splash out on occasional Greggs but JL has airport prices in there.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

You only have to watch the recent BBC series filmed at Sainsbury's in conjunction with Open University to realise the disconnect between management and ground troops. A new Sainsbury's store in an area with high Jewish demographic, yet the management responsible for choosing the product range profile had no insight. It was only realised when they began trading and so many customers asked where are the Kosher products ?

Best of all the store trial for their cashless app, with a massive queue for the hidden 'secret' manned till stretching out the door.    

Did Sainsbury’s actually do that? I find it surprising when Tesco for years adopt their offerings to the local area. A few years ago i lived in an area with a lot of people of West Indian origin. The local Tesco Express stocked 6 different types of ginger beer. The Tesco Express in the posher area I lived in previously didn’t sell it full stop.

• Agree 1

Bedrag Justesen
3 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Did Sainsbury’s actually do that? I find it surprising when Tesco for years adopt their offerings to the local area. 

Shadwell, West Yorkshire.

Described in the programme as 'the Jewish area of Leeds' near most of the Synagogues.

Brand new Sainsbury's Local store, the analysts and regional managers met with the incoming Store Manager to decide the product forecast of which items to sell to form a 3000 line range.

They based this on local demographic, area affluence, and selected three similar locations as a guide.

First day, customers began asking for Kosher foods, goat's milk, chicken, cakes, and so on.

Despite first day takings being well below £7k target, the Manager did not seem to immediately grasp the store was missing a trick.

Stocking a range of Kosher products would not only add those items to turnover, customers shopping for those products would add footfall, and buy other items during their visit.

Sainsbury's urgently added the Kosher products, helping the store hit target.

One other observation, during the store being prepared for opening, a woman saw the lights were on, walked in but was turned away, being told the store wasn't open yet.

She wanted to buy a jar of tomatoes to make meatballs.

She could have been given a jar of tomatoes, as a goodwill gesture, she would then be a customer for life.

Admittedly, ITN Productions, who made this BBC/OU series may have edited together a particular narrative, but it would have been obvious that Kosher foods would be popular.

22 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Bet the UK graph would look similar. Add to that the typical UK "leisure" complex (e.g. a fast food joint, cinema, shitty chain restaurant) are now awful places to visit filled with "roadmen" i.e. tooled up black 13 year old kids on bmx's. Who the fuck wants to take their kids to that? The mcdonalds at a local complex near me now has to have bouncers on the doors every night to deal with this pond life.

Edited by gibbon
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

She could have been given a jar of tomatoes, as a goodwill gesture, she would then be a customer for life.

It is funny how real commercial organisations completely understand the 'full good Samaritan effect', while governments don't seem to.

[ie, if the company had given away the jar, 6 hours later there'd be queues of people wanting free jars of stuff.  This is why companies destroy product rather than give it away (as people will just wait for it to become free).  Governments, on the other hand, seem to never quite get that the more stuff you give away (to the 'needy') the longer the queues become (ever more 'needy' people).]

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Described in the programme as 'the Jewish area of Leeds' near most of the Synagogues.

Brand new Sainsbury's Local store, the analysts and regional managers met with the incoming Store Manager to decide the product forecast of which items to sell to form a 3000 line range.

They based this on local demographic, area affluence, and selected three similar locations as a guide.

First day, customers began asking for Kosher foods, goat's milk, chicken, cakes, and so on.

Despite first day takings being well below £7k target, the Manager did not seem to immediately grasp the store was missing a trick.

Stocking a range of Kosher products would not only add those items to turnover, customers shopping for those products would add footfall, and buy other items during their visit.

Sainsbury's urgently added the Kosher products, helping the store hit target.

One other observation, during the store being prepared for opening, a woman saw the lights were on, walked in but was turned away, being told the store wasn't open yet.

She wanted to buy a jar of tomatoes to make meatballs.

Admittedly, ITN Productions, who made this BBC/OU series may have edited together a particular narrative, but it would have been obvious that Kosher foods would be popular.

...and that area is so obviously Jewish. Friday night they’re back and forth from synagogue in the full get up. Sainsbury’s must have known, they just mustn’t have... thought.

• Agree 1

Bedrag Justesen

This was a Sainsbury's Local on a small parade of mostly empty retail units.

Rather than rushing to close the door to stop her coming in and telling this lone woman she should come back tomorrow, it would have cost next to nothing, and taken two minutes to fetch her a can of tomatoes.

Especially after the Manager engaged her in conversation, asked her 'what she was after ?'

Hearing she just came looking for a can of tomatoes to go with meatballs she planned on making for her supper that night, it would have been a good customer relationship exercise to go and find her a tin. :)

A Sainsbury's Local is similar to a cornershop, depending on repeat small spends from regular customers. Slightly different to a supermarket.

It would hardly generate a tsunami of freebie Smedley seekers.

Customers were randomly given presents of wine, chocolates and flowers throughout opening day, for a similar purpose, good customer experience.

The Manager wasn't terrible or anything, it's just little things that demonstrate the flair of a canny retail manager with a gift for running a shop.

I'm making far too much of it, of course. :)

I Thought last year’s John Lewis’ profits were weak. Is there a market forecast or are they saying in this profit warning down on last years. That would be crap. Management probably need to bin that price promise. They are dangerous hence why the likes of the supermarkets binned theirs.

What next year? I guess to stop things really getting stuffed up in the cashflow they’ll wind in capex, marketing spend, etc. They have really messed this up. 

Edited by Ash4781b
  • Agree 1

On 01/01/2020 at 10:38, spygirl said:

Ill go for Spain, everything - companies n country.

https://www.ft.com/content/7bbc5ca4-2015-11ea-92da-f0c92e957a96

Take a police commissioner who combined his official post with offering services to Spanish blue-chips to foil takeover bids.

Add decades of secret recordings he made of his clients, government ministers and many others. And you have what in Spain is known as the Villarejo case: a legal cloud hanging over some of the country’s best-known companies and business leaders.

The saga, which could leave its mark on Spain’s business and political landscape for years to come, involves allegations of illegal corporate espionage, rivalries within the country’s power elite, and a seeming never-ending stream of mysterious leaks.

Already caught up in the affair is BBVA, the bank with showpiece operations in Turkey, Mexico and elsewhere, which a Spanish court formally placed under investigation in July in a case featuring allegations of phone-tapping and bribery.

Anyone who's tried to work out how the Spanish banks make money when heyare running the most awful inhouse software and are managedby the idiot sons and daughters. Santander.

https://www.ft.com/content/271ffc0a-32c6-11ea-9703-eea0cae3f0de

The Spanish lender sparked confusion among investors in “additional tier 1” (AT1) bonds in February 2019 when it opted not to repay one of its equity-like securities at the first available opportunity, despite raising new funds.

“Everything about it was weird,” said Jérôme Legras, head of research at Axiom Alternative Investments. He noted that months later Santander called a different bond despite it having a lower cost than the one it earlier deemed uneconomic to repay.

Either Sandanter have employed morons in its treasury dept - v possible in Spain.

Or its in massive shit.

Chewing Grass
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

https://www.ft.com/content/271ffc0a-32c6-11ea-9703-eea0cae3f0de

The Spanish lender sparked confusion among investors in “additional tier 1” (AT1) bonds in February 2019 when it opted not to repay one of its equity-like securities at the first available opportunity, despite raising new funds.

“Everything about it was weird,” said Jérôme Legras, head of research at Axiom Alternative Investments. He noted that months later Santander called a different bond despite it having a lower cost than the one it earlier deemed uneconomic to repay.

Either Sandanter have employed morons in its treasury dept - v possible in Spain.

Or its in massive shit.

Santander currently offering personal loans at 3% according to my son, how they can run a profitable business on that is beyond me.

£13K over 3 years total repayable £13600.

On 10/01/2020 at 11:00, Bedrag Justesen said:

Oi Vey - I was born in Shadwell.

Don't tell @Carl Fimble

• Agree 1