DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

The Idiocrat
37 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Sotons a big old centre with niot a lot money around, outside of the student pound.

Last 20 years have seen a lot of jobs lost in Soton. And fuck all new ones created.

Realistic rent for somewhere like that is 2k tops.

This is what it boils down to. It's not the retailers who should suffer, it's not the business owners, it's not the employees, it's the fucking landlords. The market is distorted and it needs to be allowed to correct with much lower rents, but the reality is the workers will be thrown into the pit rather than the landlords.

• Agree 8

12 hours ago, The Idiocrat said:

This is what it boils down to. It's not the retailers who should suffer, it's not the business owners, it's not the employees, it's the fucking landlords. The market is distorted and it needs to be allowed to correct with much lower rents, but the reality is the workers will be thrown into the pit rather than the landlords.

Broadly, its the price of UK real estate, resi and commercial.

I deal with a few companies in and around Soton.

I hear the same thing time n time again - We cant recruit skills. The reason why is that the money on offers is too low for the price of property.

Loads of companies and people in the South have been caught short by the rapid change in finsec employment. You go to town wheres 40+% of the private jobs were finsec. These companies are either barely left or totally gone.

Covid has been a massive hit on sectors in other large paying jobs in the South - aerospace and plane travel - Heathrow and Gatwick are very large employees. Ditto the airlines that operate there.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, The Idiocrat said:

Its QE/ZIRP causing the Zombification of the economy.

If you are going to have low rates then you ned a method of clearing the dross and forcing down real estate prices.

Otherwise large areas will just sit there, not moving.

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, spygirl said:

Sotons a big old centre with niot a lot money around, outside of the student pound.

Last 20 years have seen a lot of jobs lost in Soton. And fuck all new ones created.

The issue is that there is zero incentive for a landlord to reduce the paper value of their assets provided they can cover their on going costs.

Yes they have zero money coming in but on paper the property is worth £1.5m (assuming £75k rent and a 5% return). Rent it out for £30k and you need to record a loss in valuation of about £1m..

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

DownwardSpiral
16 hours ago, spygirl said:

Second Cup is another crappy coffee shop so not surprised to see that gone. Southampton has two universities and that student pound is going to be drying right up. Lots of one and two bed flats up for sale / to rent in Southampton at the moment. Swansea is a sight to behold at the moment, student landlords realising the shit has hit the fan; the smarter scum landlords sold up and ran off like bandits a while ago.

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, DownwardSpiral said:

Second Cup is another crappy coffee shop so not surprised to see that gone. Southampton has two universities and that student pound is going to be drying right up. Lots of one and two bed flats up for sale / to rent in Southampton at the moment. Swansea is a sight to behold at the moment, student landlords realising the shit has hit the fan; the smarter scum landlords sold up and ran off like bandits a while ago.

I think you'll find it only has one Uni soon.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

On 02/07/2020 at 18:15, One percent said:

Never been in a bella italia but have cafe rouge once.  It was more rank than that frankie and bennies.  Absolutely crap. Overpriced crap at that. 

Only went to cafe rouge once, had a voucher, still felt ripped off.

On 03/07/2020 at 01:53, lid said:

Has anyone seen Man Fire Food?

It's a TV show fronted by Roger Mooking (great name btw) basically showcasing what you can do with, well, fire and erm food.

I think there's a distinct lack of proper BBQ food outlets in this country

Could be a winner?

Everybody gotta eat, right?

Before CV there was about 10 grill type restaurants a week opening round here. It's the latest fad, been going on for about 3 or so years. Strange it hasn't reached wherever you are yet they are fucking everywhere.

23 hours ago, 201p said:

Most of the major high street empty shops that are up for rent, are listed in this local newspaper article:

E.g:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18561134.southampton-city-centre---shops-rent/

11550938.jpg?type=article-full

67 Above Bar (1,432 sq ft)

The property comprises a ground floor retail unit with ancillary basement sales & storage area within a five storey building and benefits from extensive double retail frontage. We understand the unit has consent for uses within Class A1 & A3 (Shop & Restaurants and Cafes).

Rent: £6,250pcm.

That's around 2,000 cups of coffee at £3 each you need to sell per month, 520 cups a week, or 74 cups a day or 9 per hour (if open for 8 hours a day). This doesn't include wages, bills, Business rates.

Have fun!

I keep a close eye on the local businesses for sale/commercial lettings. Eye watering the rents/business rates demanded. Like you I do the back of the napkin maths and can't figure out how anyone could make it work, even Mohammed employing family/slave labour, tampering with the end product all while cooking his books and ripping off suppliers.

• Agree 4
  • Lol 2

On 25/06/2020 at 10:23, spygirl said:

Wirecard files for insolvency proceedings

German payments company faced with ‘impending insolvency and over-indebtedness’

https://www.ft.com/content/ac949729-6167-4b6c-ac3f-f0aa71aca193

Wirecard’s core business has been lossmaking for years, audit shows

Operating performance in Europe and the Americas far worse than previously known, according to KPMG report

https://www.ft.com/content/f697a093-4e1b-4ef4-9b16-820198e4a67f

Sooooo ... thats pretty much 'never made money, ever'

On the grounds that the Asian figures were just made up.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

What's the name of the site that you can use to penetrate the paywall?

I'd like to read the article.

I have a sub.

• Cheers 1

leonardratso
48 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Spendthrift :o

sorry dont want blowback in case ft gets stroppy.

DMd

Edited by leonardratso
  • Cheers 1

stop_the_craziness

Lloyds bank getting ready to have a new face who can blame the old face when it all goes to shit next year?

Lloyds Bank chief executive António Horta-Osório is to step down in 2021 after decade in top role that saw him once made Britain's best-paid banking boss

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8493313/Lloyds-Bank-CEO-Ant-nio-Horta-Os-rio-step-2021.html

1 hour ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Lloyds bank getting ready to have a new face who can blame the old face when it all goes to shit next year?

Lloyds Bank chief executive António Horta-Osório is to step down in 2021 after decade in top role that saw him once made Britain's best-paid banking boss

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8493313/Lloyds-Bank-CEO-Ant-nio-Horta-Os-rio-step-2021.html

Allegedly he had a rep with laydies.

I await the court case.

On 26/06/2020 at 08:52, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Hey Wig-man, dont worry they'll just bang up the indexes again ?

How goes it ?

I hear they are going Intu Administration today ?

Word up count all good here chief, been going round licking door handles for three months but still no proof this “corona virus” exists anywhere except for on the telly. 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Can you try on clothes in the clothing stores in the covid world? Just been chatting to a friend said you couldn’t try on clothes. I’m sure that can’t be right across all stores.

Also what I would expect the customer age demographic for Marks and Spencer is a worry. primarily around their non store visiting and expected lack of internet use. The Share price is not on a great run. I think there might be a problem for them. Hopefully they manage their cashflow well (delaying capital expenditure etc). But I suppose gov can come out with a voucher scheme because the likes of Marks or John Lewis collapsing would not go down well.

325CE930-5DF6-46A2-86D0-408098624C35.jpeg

On 06/07/2020 at 09:44, sleepwello'nights said:

Paste the link to any FT.com article into Google.com and click through there.

https://www.google.com/search?channel=trow2&client=firefox-b-d&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcontent%2Ff697a093-4e1b-4ef4-9b16-820198e4a67f

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

On 06/07/2020 at 09:44, sleepwello'nights said:

Had a bookmark for a thread that may help if you've not got there already

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 2

sancho panza

I suspect there's more to come on this.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/07/influential-shareholder-offloads-80m-worth-of-shares-in-boohoo/

One of Boohoo’s biggest shareholders has dumped most of its stock in the online fashion retailer and criticised its response to allegations of slavery at its Leicester factory.

According to the Financial Times, Standard Life Aberdeen said Boohoo’s response to the allegations, in which the retailer said it would conduct a supply chain review, was “inadequate”

The sale was reportedly worth nearly £80 million at Thursday’s closing price

On Wednesday, Boohoo launched an independent investigation headed by top barrister, and former head of law firm Mishcon de Reya’s white collar crime unit, Alison Levitt QC.

Alongside the investigation, Boohoo has pledged £10 million to eradicate malpractice in its supply chain.

News has also emerged that the National Crime Agency (NCA) was looking into reports of modern slavery in the Leicester textile industry, according to Retail Week.

Edited by sancho panza
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 10/07/2020 at 20:15, Ash4781b said:

Can you try on clothes in the clothing stores in the covid world? Just been chatting to a friend said you couldn’t try on clothes. I’m sure that can’t be right across all stores.

From my limited experience of clothes shops.  Nope.  You can't try anything on! And when you take the clothes back they have to put them into 'quarantine' for 72 hours. 

• Informative 1

One percent
9 minutes ago, Iamcynical said:

From my limited experience of clothes shops.  Nope.  You can't try anything on! And when you take the clothes back they have to put them into 'quarantine' for 72 hours. 

So what exactly is the point of stores?  Might as well order over the Internet. #deathofthehighstreet 

• Agree 4

Green Devil
On 04/07/2020 at 21:51, spygirl said:

London is the new detroit. 

• Agree 2