DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

7 hours ago, wherebee said:

yeah.  a mates son goes to something similar here in Oz and I am pretty sure they are the equivalent of men only clubs from the 60's - not by rules, but by self selection in who wants to go sit in a sweaty pit with 50 men.  

Men like areas where they can be with men and talk about nothing in particular.  If you could serve beer in those places, we would call it a pub.

No they are not.

No strippers.

• Cheers 1

stop_the_craziness
On 20/10/2020 at 22:27, sancho panza said:

Boots sales in freefall as lockdowns batter High Street and transport hub stores

The chemist said it had also suffered as customers shift towards picking up toiletries as part of their food shop rather than in its stores.

It's not just the convenience of picking up stuff in the supermarket.  Aldi sell own brand carbon copies of all the things I used to buy in Boots for a fraction of the price.  Shower gel, deoderant, shampoo and conditioner, face and body moisturiser stuff, hairspray.  Unless someone is an absolute brand-loyal maniac there is simply no reason to pay Boots prices any more.  Supermarket versions of stuff used to be inferior and generic, which was why it was cheap.  Aldi have changed that completely.

• Agree 4

16 hours ago, spygirl said:

No they are not.

No strippers.

funnily enough, I used to go to a pub that had lunchtime strippers back in the day and me and the mates would go after the stripper had finished.  we didn't need tits jiggling our froth off.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, wherebee said:

funnily enough, I used to go to a pub that had lunchtime strippers back in the day and me and the mates would go after the stripper had finished.  we didn't need tits jiggling our froth off.

Years ago - and I mean ~30+ years ago - when I was 19, a mate told us that a topless bar had opened.

On paper it sounds great - beer and tits.

However ..... when we went we were charged about £5 for a pint of pissy shit lager (about 4x the price of a pint), served by some rough 35+ saggy titted munter.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Years ago - and I mean ~30+ years ago - when I was 19, a mate told us that a topless bar had opened.

On paper it sounds great - beer and tits.

However ..... when we went we were charged about £5 for a pint of pissy shit lager (about 4x the price of a pint), served by some rough 35+ saggy titted munter.

so we were there every day!xD

• Agree 1

On 03/11/2019 at 15:39, spygirl said:

Can anyone explain Edinburgh Woollen Mill and  Philip Day  to me?

I thought id posted on him.

Hes same batch as fat bloke finance - leveraged loon in retail.

I go into EWM, just in case im missing something. Im not.

On 03/11/2019 at 17:46, spygirl said:

Phillip Day operates like a mug punter. Company x share price falls, then goes into administration, so he buys it, assuming theres some value left, judt because it was worth x 6 months ago.

Same op as Ashley.

Theres no value in retail - the real estate is leased, the stock is on supplier credit.

On 03/11/2019 at 16:58, sancho panza said:

I jsut post it.memory like a sieve.Mya have been mentioned before.

Phillip Day appears to buy a lot of companies out of administration.

He's made a billion quid apparently.

All things Phillip Day circling the pan.

https://www.ft.com/content/bd063fca-a7d2-49cf-9221-d6aedcdb3bbe

Delay admission distraction, hoping PE will buy it.

Junk.

Apparently Private Eye have a column on 'Tycoon' Day.

• Agree 1

I still cant make the numbers work.

It's all made up bollocks.

Richest man in Cumbria Philip Day now worth £1.2bn, according to Sunday Times Rich List

https://www.in-cumbria.com/news/17246645.richest-man-cumbria-philip-day-now-worth-1-2bn-according-sunday-times-rich-list/

https://moneyweek.com/economy/people/601715/philip-day-the-retail-knight-falls-off-his-horse

In recent years, the billionaire proprietor of Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Philip Day, has basked in the glow of a burgeoning reputation as a saviour of the British high street. “The opposite” of the sector’s stereotypical “brash entrepreneur”, Day is “quietly showing his retail rivals the way”, said The Guardian in 2018. Having quietly built a 1,113-store powerhouse from formerly stricken fashion chains such as Jaeger, Austin Reed, Peacocks and Bonmarché, his star is in the ascendant even as the curtain falls on Sir Philip Green’s troubled Arcadia empire. “As one billionaire Philip fades into the background another is hoving into view.” 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/23/can-this-man-save-our-high-streets

Retail entrepreneur Philip Day is yet to become a household name but the owner of more than a dozen retail brands, including Edinburgh Woollen Mill and Peacocks, is quietly buying up swathes of the high street, with troubled electronics retailer Maplin the latest chain on his shopping list.

The scale of Day’s growing empire is set out in the most recent accounts for the group’s parent company Edinburgh Woollen Mill Group. The sprawling group now has 1,113 stores and concessions and employs more than 24,000 people. Its sales topped £592m and generated profits of nearly £84m in the year to February 2017.

Day got his big break in 2001, when he was part of the £49m private equity backed takeover of staid middle-aged knitwear emporium the Edinburgh Woollen Mill. The following year he bought out co-investors Rutland in a £69m deal backed by HBOS giving him his first retail Monopoly piece.

How do you become a 'billionaire's operating in a se yor that gushes red and has been al the time Phillip Day has been snapping up junk brands?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ash4781b said:

We’re in the money!

Sainsbury’s considers sale of banking arm

New chief looking at options as ultra-low interest rates hit smaller lenders

https://www.ft.com/content/4294bd7a-8a7f-47fb-b55d-5023d6893022

They paid Lloyd’s £260m for 50%, spent another £100m (at least) moving off the LLoyds  IT platforms, absorbed years of loss making activity and ended up with a pile of garbage. What a pointless vanity project.
thumb_upRecommend13replyReply
shareShare
A dialog showing a permalink to the comment
flagReport
remove
Dunski
A popover with more user information
4 DAYS AGO

reply In reply to RhinoB
They should have left banking to the bankers.
thumb_upRecommend7replyReply
shareShare
flagReport

remove
NobodyJudgeTrump
4 DAYS AGO
(Edited)

reply In reply to RhinoB
Yes. groceries should focus on online platform and leverage their advantage. 
These money could have been spent on their e commerce and delivery business. Anyway the decision was made in 1990s. Guess nobody in charge at that time has that vision 
thumb_upRecommend3replyReply
shareShare
flagReport
remove
Beyond awful
4 DAYS AGO

reply In reply to NobodyJudgeTrump
Does the Board take any responsibility for such a destruction of shareholder value ?  Scale vital in banking which provides lower funding costs. Fairly basic stuff. Very bad vanity project.
thumb_upRecommend1replyReply
shareShare

Sainsbury management have spent the last few years wheel barrels if £10 notes to the incinerator.

On 09/10/2019 at 22:23, sancho panza said:

Hays Travel?

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/10/2500-jobs-saved-as-hays-travel-buys-555-thomas-cook-high-street-stores/

One of the UK’s largest travel agencies has said it will save thousands of high street jobs at Thomas Cook after it made a deal to buy 555 of its stores around the UK.

Hays Travel has already employed 421 members of Thomas Cook staff since the business collapsed last month after an unsuccessful rescue bid.

Hays Travel now intends to reopen the former Thomas Cook shops immediately, potentially saving up to 2500 further jobs.

Looks like we've passed the rich old biddy peak

image.png.a6e1b496b7056cf314c06b397dcfa5ac.png

Not raining. Pouring.

Over stretch to pick up a large rival.

Then run straight in covid.

And now

Hays Travel founder dies at work

Industry pays tribute to John Hays, one half of husband-wife team committed to saving jobs

https://www.ft.com/content/6539c4bd-2b5e-47cd-a9ac-71a6d1fb3823

Hardly surprising. Must be pretty stressful.

71. SHould have retired 5 years ago. Hed have gone out on a high.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Not raining. Pouring.

Over stretch to pick up a large rival.

Then run straight in covid.

And now

Hays Travel founder dies at work

Industry pays tribute to John Hays, one half of husband-wife team committed to saving jobs

https://www.ft.com/content/6539c4bd-2b5e-47cd-a9ac-71a6d1fb3823

Hardly surprising. Must be pretty stressful.

71. SHould have retired 5 years ago. Hed have gone out on a high.

Dead at work?  Suicide?  Probably it it’s all going Pete. 

Just now, One percent said:

Dead at work?  Suicide?  Probably it it’s all going Pete. 

Probably looking at the accounts or talking to the bank. Seriously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hays_Travel

Started 40 tears ago. - Seaham of all places.

Incorporated in 1986.

Grew slowly and steadily. Very much owner run.

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/01990682-hays-travel-limited?page=overview

Look at a the step change in size ~2011.

There'll be a highly paid consultancy.

'Mr Hays ... your competitors are smashing into the wall. With some carefully increased debt you can consolidate your position, reap economy of scale. And we can write off the interest cost against tax. .... what can go wrong ...'

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 1

On 24/10/2020 at 14:02, spygirl said:

I still cant make the numbers work.

It's all made up bollocks.

Well, I can’t be accused of not dropping you the heaviest hints possible, in this regard, for a long time.

11 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I was jsut trying to psot a chart of these as the dead cat appears to be bouncing until you zoom out to the max and see where it started faling from.

Imagine being Giles Purple, who sold out his small regional chain to CW at ~£150/sahre in 2014.

And took payment in stock options, vesting in ~2019/2020.

• Lol 1

On 27/11/2020 at 12:07, spygirl said:

Radio had this wierd familiar voice, droning on about Arcadia, protecting pensions, working with the high street so they can come out ofthis.

It was Ed Milliband!

Part of the Brownies who ennobled Cunt Green and facilitated Green to do a massive leverage buyout of Arcadia, then take all the money out.

Cons fault though. Apparently.

• Agree 3