DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

What's going to collapse next...

TheCountOfNowhere

22 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

Snow and Rock... apparently,

never thought rocks on snow was great for skiing.

Interesting.

[I'd have thought mudandgrass would be more appropriate for the UK climate, but I've never been much good at marketing]

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

Snow and Rock... apparently,

never thought rocks on snow was great for skiing.

Surely Fat Facve and White Stuff

cant be far behind.

These ague, v expensive but not very good cloth shops, all backed by PE.

Castlevania
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Surely Fat Facve and White Stuff

cant be far behind.

These ague, v expensive but not very good cloth shops, all backed by PE.

Their strategy seems to be to have shops in wealthy areas where there isn’t much other choice when it comes to clothes shops. You’ll find them in all the posh coastal resorts in Wales and Cornwall and the small middle class market towns in England for example.

• Agree 1

Castlevania
On 09/05/2019 at 20:05, dgul said:

Is there a quiet bank run going on?  After the last time I don't think they're telling us everything.

A lot of the business customers have been withdrawing funds. It’s in the money markets where it could get interesting.

11 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Run?????

Stampede!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48243155

_87332707_ceo_vern1.jpg

Looks like is capital base is similar to the CEOs haircut - a little bit of hair combed over a lot of head.

There's this theory that all dogs smile, because they evolved by the side of humans and early in our 40,000 year relationship they realised that the smiling dogs got a bit more food (and were less likely to be eaten when times got hard).

Looks like the banking industry has bred out that unhelpful trait.

35 minutes ago, dgul said:

There's this theory that all dogs smile, because they evolved by the side of humans and early in our 40,000 year relationship they realised that the smiling dogs got a bit more food (and were less likely to be eaten when times got hard).

Looks like the banking industry has bred out that unhelpful trait.

I don't know, the dog is still smiling...well, the bipedal one is anyway! :-)

Idiot on radio .... 'Yes, metrobank had held to littel capital for its comemrcial mortgage and BTL, commercial is a lot riskeier than btl ...'

no no no no. btl is comemrcial lending.

And banks have absolutely no risk experience in doing.

BTL is turning out to be just as risky as a shopping centre in wigan.

• Agree 2

NogintheNog
11 hours ago, sancho panza said:

image.png.52ebc8609e1e1ad84a4646f741167aeb.png

As someone who was employed in this very industry for 20+ years until 2015 when the bogeyman finally caught up with my employer, it is sad seeing TCG teetering on the edge.

However TCG have as we can see been here before, back in 2012-13 when the shares were hovering about this level, but support from the banks enabled them to weather the storm and the European banking crisis. Now apparently the 'profitable' airline is up for sale which will cushion the tour operator side of the business for the future.

However I just don't see who would buy the airline, with well paid expensive staff, pension liabilities, and an ageing fleet. As a predominantly short haul fleet the airline has A321 airbus aircraft doing most of the legwork sprinkled with a few A320's and ancient Boeing 757-300's. Long haul served by a small ageing A330-200 series.

Who would want the aircraft and the staff liabilities? EasyJet operates a modern A320/319 fleet, IAG does the same on shorthaul.

The only value is in the slots, especially at the bigger airports. When Monarch folded in 2017 they had a predominantly ageing A321/A320 fleet. No buyer wanted to buy the aircraft or staff (although the prized engineers survived the bust). The airline was fed to the wolves and the slots then bought up afterwards, primarily by IAG at Gatwick.

To my mind Thomas Cook is in a death spiral, with Citigroup saying the shares are worthless!

One for the brave! Who dares wins and all that.....

Edited by NogintheNog
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, NogintheNog said:

As someone who was employed in this very industry for 20+ years until 2015 when the bogeyman finally caught up with my employer, it is sad seeing TCG teetering on the edge.

However TCG have as we can see been here before, back in 2012-13 when the shares were hovering about this level, but support from the banks enabled them to weather the storm and the European banking crisis. Now apparently the 'profitable' airline is up for sale which will cushion the tour operator side of the business for the future.

However I just don't see who would buy the airline, with well paid expensive staff, pension liabilities, and an ageing fleet. As a predominantly short haul fleet the airline has A321 airbus aircraft doing most of the legwork sprinkled with a few A320's and ancient Boeing 757-300's. Long haul served by a small ageing A330-200 series.

Who would want the aircraft and the staff liabilities? EasyJet operates a modern A320/319 fleet, IAG does the same on shorthaul.

The only value is in the slots, especially at the bigger airports. When Monarch folded in 2017 they had a predominantly ageing A321/A320 fleet. No buyer wanted to buy the aircraft or staff (although the prized engineers survived the bust). The airline was fed to the wolves and the slots then bought up afterwards, primarily by IAG at Gatwick.

To my mind Thomas Cook is in a death spiral, with Citigroup saying the shares are worthless!

One for the brave! Who dares wins and all that.....

Two thread crossing questions here.

One, 'Tourits fuckoff' Who makes money from tourism?

In the UK I can see London city breaks and Centre Parcs doign good business.

Premier Inn and the like, where the can balance business Mon-Fri with city breaks Sat n Sun.

The rest? Nah. Barrel scraping.

Two, the likes of ThomCook with their expensive staffing and old work habits. This is same for the public sector, where the average public sector employee isnt really skilled - NHS has more admin than clinical staff. And their job really doent exist anymore or has been replaced/automated.

British Steel. Again.

What sort of outcome were people expecting with an old steel works being flooded by chinky steel, and a dodgy foreign PE group.

15 minutes ago, spygirl said:

British Steel. Again.

What sort of outcome were people expecting with an old steel works being flooded by chinky steel, and a dodgy foreign PE group.

This tires me...

...private company buys a dead industry at rock bottom price, then despite our free market economics still expects to be funded by the public purse...

...at what point do we decide a runt is a runt, and the public balance sheet shows bailout funds are greater than unemployment benefits or the cost of retraining?!

2 hours ago, MrXxx said:

This tires me...

...private company buys a dead industry at rock bottom price, then despite our free market economics still expects to be funded by the public purse...

...at what point do we decide a runt is a runt, and the public balance sheet shows bailout funds are greater than unemployment benefits or the cost of retraining?!

Doubly bad when they take advantage of national pride in the process.  Rover, etc.

Triply bad when the industry actually could (possibly) be made profitable, but he PE way is to extract cash all the way down (and that is their RoI).

[I'm not sure if this latter point is relevant for 'British' Steel.  I would accept an argument that there might be a national strategic interest in keeping certain core industries going (industrial metals being one of them), but I'm not sure if BS meets that target]

2 hours ago, MrXxx said:

This tires me...

https://www.ft.com/content/e11c8bee-7b94-11e9-81d2-f785092ab560

One government figure confirmed that the talks were reaching their final stage and a ministerial statement is expected on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Business secretary Greg Clark has come under “huge pressure” to help the company given that British Steel is such an “iconic” employer, the person said.

Id prefer profitable over iconic.

What the fuck is iconic in pound n pence?

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

Doubly bad when they take advantage of national pride in the process.  Rover, etc.

Triply bad when the industry actually could (possibly) be made profitable, but he PE way is to extract cash all the way down (and that is their RoI).

[I'm not sure if this latter point is relevant for 'British' Steel.  I would accept an argument that there might be a national strategic interest in keeping certain core industries going (industrial metals being one of them), but I'm not sure if BS meets that target]

Phoenix group with Rover n all that, should hve been dragged thru the street and hung on lampposts.

Brown n Blair show.

Fuckers were gifted an insanely good car and the factory.

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/business-opinion/sorry-legacy-mg-rovers-phoenix-8023162

They could have run with it for 20 years.

Jamie Oliver.

Shame it's only the restaurants.

[I know there are lots of jobs at risk, and I'm sympathetic -- but the 'eating out' market can support a certain number of outlets, and all those employed by the group would have been employed elsewhere in the industry without JO.  Also, without JO (and others of the same ilk) there'd be more room for decent family run businesses that have custom because they'd good, rather than because of a 'brand']

One percent
3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Jamie Oliver.

[I know there are lots of jobs at risk, and I'm sympathetic -- but the 'eating out' market can support a certain number of outlets, and all those employed by the group would have been employed elsewhere in the industry without JO.  Also, without JO (and others of the same ilk) there'd be more room for decent family run businesses that have custom because they'd good, rather than because of a 'brand']

Wasn't it Jamie Oliver that was essentially reheating ready meals or was that one of the other ones?

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

Jamie Oliver.

Chaie Eyeties eateris are a fucking rip off.

You are charged high end prices for what is effectively fastfood/sandwich.

There are odds n sod really good pizzary here n there, offering fantastic pizza and pasta, sub £10 a head, which is about right in he UK.

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Chaie Eyeties eateris are a fucking rip off.

You are charged high end prices for what is effectively fastfood/sandwich.

There are odds n sod really good pizzary here n there, offering fantastic pizza and pasta, sub £10 a head, which is about right in he UK.

I don't eat at any of these places.  Well, my daughter forced me into a Fiveguys, which I left underwhelmed.  I really don't understand the attraction.

[As I said to my son the other day -- these sorts of places work on the assumption that there are 75 million people in the UK and you only have to get each one through the door once to make $$$$s.   Normal companies can't work this way, but 'brand' companies can.  I'd imagine that JO has merely been through their list of generally-potential customers once -- and at that point no more customers.]

• Agree 1

I was once served lukewarm cat-sick conspiring as risotto at Fifteen in Amsterdam. Evil place.

Amongst a cabal of over-hyped cooks, he somehow came across as even worse than the others.

I disgaree that JO is over-hyped, he simply copied Gennaro Contaldo after working under him for a few years, who by all measures is a brilliant cook. The same with Gordon Ramsay who worked under Marco Pierre-White for a while and learned everything from him. The best celebrity chefs today are imitators of ones from previous years quite simply.

However, Jamie Oliver's restaurants are nothing to do with the skills of the owner. They are franchised and staffed by incomers who know nothing about Italian food preparation. The only part exception to this is Gordon Ramsay's restaurants in C London which are actually staffed by proper chefs, although they do often use the same shortcuts (frozen ready meals). It's all a load of bollocks really, and the entire indsutry in this country is a sham. You cannot have freshly-cooked food in chain restaurants, if you want the genuine experience like they have on the Continent you have to go to proper small scale family-owned places (and pay a lot).

The model used by Toby Carvery (who I personally think are absolute shite) works well, as it does in America with Dennys. You know what you're getting - cheap food, the same everywhere.

Not much appreciation for JO in this thread, but I will always admire him for his fight to make school dinners at least resemble real food.

I remember watching his shows back in Poland, seeing primary-aged kids being served pizza with fries and gagging at carrots. I thought it was made up, it had to be. Then I moved across the Channel and I saw that it wasn't. Frightening stuff, and he used his celeb status to do something about it.

Don't know too much about his enterpreneurial skills.

Edited by kibuc
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, kibuc said:

Not much appreciation for JO in this thread, but I will always admire him for his fight to make school dinners at least resemble real food.

I remember watching his shows back in Poland, seeing primary-aged kids being served pizza with fries and gagging at carrots. I though it was made up, it had to be. Then I moved across the Channel and I saw that it wasn't. Frightening stuff, and he used his celeb status to do something about it.

Don't know too much about his enterpreneurial skills.

I suspect his entrpreneurial skills aren't necessary, as long as he's happy to whore out his image rights to private equity... I agree though, I don't mind him.

crashmonitor
5 hours ago, spunko said:

I disgaree that JO is over-hyped, he simply copied Gennaro Contaldo after working under him for a few years, who by all measures is a brilliant cook. The same with Gordon Ramsay who worked under Marco Pierre-White for a while and learned everything from him. The best celebrity chefs today are imitators of ones from previous years quite simply.

However, Jamie Oliver's restaurants are nothing to do with the skills of the owner. They are franchised and staffed by incomers who know nothing about Italian food preparation. The only part exception to this is Gordon Ramsay's restaurants in C London which are actually staffed by proper chefs, although they do often use the same shortcuts (frozen ready meals). It's all a load of bollocks really, and the entire indsutry in this country is a sham. You cannot have freshly-cooked food in chain restaurants, if you want the genuine experience like they have on the Continent you have to go to proper small scale family-owned places (and pay a lot).

The model used by Toby Carvery (who I personally think are absolute shite) works well, as it does in America with Dennys. You know what you're getting - cheap food, the same everywhere.

What surprises me about Oliver is he has never shown any artistry in his cooking demonstrations. Anything slightly difficult like pastry and it's ready made from the supermarket. There are skilled  celebrity artisans out there ( James Martin maybe?) but Oliver appears to keep it simple and chuck his recipies together. Not an avid watcher, maybe he's done something difficult I've missed.

Edited by crashmonitor

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

What surprises me about Oliver is he has never shown any artistry in his cooking demonstrations. Anything slightly difficult like pastry and it's ready made from the supermarket. There are skilled  celebrity artisans out there ( James Martin maybe?) but Oliver appears to keep it simple and chuck his recipies together. Not an avid watcher, maybe he's done something difficult I've missed.

But with such an approach he has demystified cooking and so encouraged a lot of people to have a go, rather than their usual default I.e. processed or takeaways.

• Agree 2