• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
assetrichcashpoor

Led wardrobe strip lights

Question

Ahoy hoy, does anyone know anything about led strip lights you can put in wardrobes? 

I’m after a setup I can put in our wardrobes. I’d like a switch not a PIR to turn them on an off. 

There are a few kits about but I’m not sure if they’ve got everything I want. I’m after two separate strips of light for the wardrobe and for a cupboard above it. All the kits are 1 strip of LEDs that can be cut to length. I’m not sure how I could join two strips together other than soldering some wire between them which could look a bit shit.

4 answers to this question

Best bet for easy connection is probably go for the LED strips that are terminated by standard DC connectors used for CCTV and alike for 12V connections to each camera - 2.1mm by 5.5mm barrel connectors. You can get all sorts of splitters/extenders/cables made up of those or make your own and connectors are cheap.

You just then need a suitable switch and if driving all LED strips off a single constant current LED driver just make sure you buy one that can power all 3 strips.

Here's an example pigtail with DC jack to pin LED connector to suit this co's LED strip, there's a load of listings on Ebay for the connectors, alternative could stick with pre-made 4 pin connections in this case and make do with standard cable extension lengths available and one of their distribution boxes - all depends on placement / distance between the strips you require really which will be easier.

http://www.ledcentre.uk.com/main/shop/280-led-connectors/led-connector-with-dc-jack-plug-for-5050-smd-led-strip-light/

Edited by onlyme

Ikea have a big selection of LED strips and the associated widgets for connecting them. Ikea not my first choice for buying this sort of thing but perfect for actually playing about and able to see how it looks in real life not Internet photos. 

On 27/12/2018 at 22:40, onlyme said:

Best bet for easy connection is probably go for the LED strips that are terminated by standard DC connectors used for CCTV and alike for 12V connections to each camera - 2.1mm by 5.5mm barrel connectors. You can get all sorts of splitters/extenders/cables made up of those or make your own and connectors are cheap.

You just then need a suitable switch and if driving all LED strips off a single constant current LED driver just make sure you buy one that can power all 3 strips.

Here's an example pigtail with DC jack to pin LED connector to suit this co's LED strip, there's a load of listings on Ebay for the connectors, alternative could stick with pre-made 4 pin connections in this case and make do with standard cable extension lengths available and one of their distribution boxes - all depends on placement / distance between the strips you require really which will be easier.

http://www.ledcentre.uk.com/main/shop/280-led-connectors/led-connector-with-dc-jack-plug-for-5050-smd-led-strip-light/

Just done this in the new toilet. Recessed LED profiles sunk into the ceiling, all connected using off-the-shelf dc jack/plug cables and splitters. Even the inline dimmer uses the same connectors - so easy to setup.