• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Stolen UK Cars Facebook Group

38 minutes ago, 201p said:

OK facebook is not usually a good thing on here. BUT there is one group worth following - 

https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/794001950679901/

People put up notifications of their cars that have been stolen, or number plates nicked.

---

People are recommending faraday cage like defences for their keys inside their homes.

I don’t understand why people leave the keyless entry thing enabled when they’re not using it.

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

I don’t understand why people leave the keyless entry thing enabled when they’re not using it.

You can’t turn the damn thing off. I have bought a cheap (7 quid) wallet to put mine in when not in use. It blocks the signal 

20 minutes ago, One percent said:

You can’t turn the damn thing off. I have bought a cheap (7 quid) wallet to put mine in when not in use. It blocks the signal 

Most of the ones I’ve seen are switchable. E.g. 

http://www.benzblogger.com/2015/01/mercedes-benz-keyless-go-smartkey-on-and-off.html

8 minutes ago, GARCH said:

Keyless entry would be really useful if it had a little on/off switch.  To save the battery if nothing else.

Check the interweb, most have some combination of button presses that will disable them even if the user manual doesn’t mention it.

Just now, One percent said:

That looks after market. Mine definitely doesn’t have an off switch. 

That’s a standard merc key fob - I rented one recently hence knowing how to disable it. What’s the make/model you have?

1 minute ago, TheBlueCat said:

Well, that sucks. A bit of googling suggests that the BMW system is one of the few that can’t be disabled easily.  Best get one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DN2D452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ImOjCbFFX1QAW

Yep, got similar to that. Come home and the key goes directly into it. 

Bloody stupid system but it came as standard. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Yep, got similar to that. Come home and the key goes directly into it. 

Bloody stupid system but it came as standard. 

Agreed - supremely stupid when in a form that can’t be disabled. It exchanges a minor convenience for major ballache in the more general case. Very glad I don’t own a car!

Just now, TheBlueCat said:

Agreed - supremely stupid when in a form that can’t be disabled. It exchanges a minor convenience for major ballache in the more general case. Very glad I don’t own a car!

There are loads of keyless cars being stolen through this idiocy. 

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Make sure to test your faraday wallet.. you can try it by putting a contactless debit card inside at a chip and pin point. A lot of them sold on eBay are fakes/duds

I went out to my car with the key in the wallet thingy and it wouldn’t open so guess it works. 

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

Just some examples of the cars stolen today:

49045308_10156655859110638_2380955695093

High performance luxury cars and Land Rovers are specifically targeted for shipping abroad, they are driven to dock areas, think Liverpool, Immingham, Grangemouth and left for a day or two in a side street somewhere to make sure there is no tracker on them. If they are still there they are driven straight into a container and off they go, France is a popular destination for Land Rovers with Malaysia the Far East and the USA popular for Range Rovers.

^Seriously, I wouldn't own a nice car unless I have a locked garage + sharks with lazer beams. You are just leaving £50K stack of notes out on the road.

The low numbers of police also magnify the problem.

---

You can imagine the conversation at the boardroom.

MrCarDesigner - so we have new keyless entry keys, but won't these cars get stolen more easily?

MrCEO - yeah so? We've sold the car, it's not our problem.

MrCarDesigner - why don't we provide key fob wallets?

MrCEO - NO. We can SELL them a fob wallet afterwards. AND we get to sell ANOTHER car too as a replacement from insurance.

MrCarDesigner - ah I see why you are the CEO.

Edited by 201p

old-abandoned-bank-building-in-an-american-ghost-town-f5kxyt.jpg&f=1

---

Off topic BUT more on crime. I went into the bank the other day, and I was horrified at the "progressive liberalisation" of the "bank counter".

Crime doesn't care about diversity targets, how virtue signalling a business is, or it's progressive liberal political compass. (Everyone else is literally Hitler).

I'll explain. In the ye old days of the Wild Wild West. The bank counter would be a wall of glass/panelling with holes you can speak to the staff. There would be another hole where you can stick your money through. There may even be a shutter system if the panic button was pressed, protecting the staff from a bank robbery.

But come to 2018. Where there is no crime, and every citizen is well behaved and votes the right vote in referendums. Erm...

Anyway, I had to pay in a ye old cheque, and the self service machine was kaput. So I was going to venture deeper into the wondrous modern bank. I wasn't sure exactly where the bank counter was. The lady directed me to the young gentleman who was on his own. He was sitting on a low chair with his computer and table, and underneath was the drawer full of cash. I was literally towering over him and could probably reach round and take all the money as I was literally standing next to him by his side. If "accessibility" was the banks number one aim, they have won it by all accounts. There was no high desk counter, no protective glass. I could get at him from all sides. Now with all the daily robberies of convenience stores, nail parlours, fuel stations and even charity shops in broad daylight, I am surprised the the banks have not been a target because they certainly have made themselves a potential target.

Edited by 201p

14 minutes ago, 201p said:

^Seriously, I wouldn't own a nice car unless I have a locked garage + sharks with lazer beams. You are just leaving £50K stack of notes out on the road.

The low numbers of police also magnify the problem.

---

You can imagine the conversation at the boardroom.

MrCarDesigner - so we have new keyless entry keys, but won't these cars get stolen more easily?

MrCEO - yeah so? We've sold the car, it's not our problem.

MrCarDesigner - why don't we provide key fob wallets?

MrCEO - NO. We can SELL them a fob wallet afterwards. AND we get to sell ANOTHER car too as a replacement from insurance.

MrCarDesigner - ah I see why you are the CEO.

Works until - The insurance is how much? Why haven't they made the car less easy to steal? Fuck that for a game of soldiers.