• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Stolen UK Cars Facebook Group

21 hours ago, Harley said:

My (big!) Jack Russell hates visitors.  I'm now thinking I shouldn't try to change him nor shut him up at night!

I have two border terriers. Around three times over the past 8 years they have woken me up in the night barking. I got up and had a look out the windows but saw nothing. Apologised to my neighbour after the first time about the noise but neighbour said no problem your dogs give me a feeling of security and probably put potential thieves off. Neither of us have anything work nicking though!

Dogs barking are a good deterrent to anyone thinking about breaking in.

They are nicking police car lights

Thursday 10 January 2019

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/hunt-for-man-after-police-lights-are-stolen-from-patrol-car-at-sunderland-railway-station-1-9531458

image.jpg

Officers from British Transport Police believe the man shown in the CCTV image may have information which could help their investigation.

This is how far we've come - the man in the CCTV may have information which could help with their investigation - WTF dudes? 

Edited by 201p

The Plot Thickens.

So this older BMW is stolen with ease it seems. The key was somehow cloned even while in a metal tin. When I watch the CCTV - look at the thief's clothes. Looks like a mechanic or car wash operative? This reminds of the MaccDs drive through operative who would swipe your card and get your credit card cloned (see video below). 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.b2ec7fc9c3ea7378f964b89b5b168b5a.jpg

Edited by 201p

OK so I just did a quick search for cloning a BMW key. It comes up with this video (below) and you can get one of these readers for £250 from ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Ship-Original-V2-4-1-Xhorse-VVDI-Key-Tool-Remote-European-Version/302864764928?hash=item4684259000:g:y8oAAOSwUZZbiPTg:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

So I guess if you were running a unscrupulous business (or a business that wasn't worried about dodgy employees), you clone the key data, then jot down the reg plate. At the end of your shift you have a table of reg plates, car model, and colour.

You then drive around locally looking for clean BMWs (if you are a car wash operative). You make a key and you have a easy car to steal. Tinfoil or Faraday cages are useless from this kind of attack.

Don't let this happen to you!

Edited by 201p

This is a odd one. Crooks use CCTV to protect their own stolen car racket compound but when they are raided, their own CCTV is used as evidence.

Four men involved in a stolen car racket worth £500,000 have been jailed after being caught on their own CCTV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-46537911

Worth a read -  this is the actual business of breaking them down for components.

Edited by 201p

Untitled.gif.96083b52fa6c890624674a6bc2f479db.gif

Car thefts for 2018 as said further up this thread, probably reached 40,000 and at a 6 year high. The peak was in the 1990s was 500,000 cars stolen, so there's a long way to go.

If I could invest in stocks that make "dumb" locks I would probably do so - there is a secular bull market in the offering.

Car thefts in the US are also on the up and are at 8 year highs, so this is not a Brexit/UK centric issue. This is a tech issue compounded (for the UK) by reduction in police numbers, closed police stations, and light sentencing. 

At least in the 1990s there were many more police stations - turning this tide is going to take a long time. When you close a police station, and sell off the land, it will take a huge political shift (and money) to get us back to where we were.

3 hours ago, 201p said:

Car thefts for 2018 as said further up this thread, probably reached 40,000 and at a 6 year high. The peak was in the 1990s was 500,000 cars stolen, so there's a long way to go.

If I could invest in stocks that make "dumb" locks I would probably do so - there is a secular bull market in the offering.

Car thefts in the US are also on the up and are at 8 year highs, so this is not a Brexit/UK centric issue. This is a tech issue compounded (for the UK) by reduction in police numbers, closed police stations, and light sentencing. 

At least in the 1990s there were many more police stations - turning this tide is going to take a long time. When you close a police station, and sell off the land, it will take a huge political shift (and money) to get us back to where we were.

There must be room for some innovation in 'heavy iron' security devices, all of the current stuff is compromised and electronic security systems are now trivial for the unskilled to bypass.

4 hours ago, Kilham said:

There must be room for some innovation in 'heavy iron' security devices, all of the current stuff is compromised and electronic security systems are now trivial for the unskilled to bypass.

I reckon I don't want a vehicle without a physical key, which you put in a hole and turn.:Old:

8 hours ago, 201p said:

Mid-nineties cars definitely had a lot of focus on security features it wasn't just theft for profit as joy-riding was a huge thing at the time. it was so bad a lot of recovery firms bought ex-army 4x4 trucks as they were having to constantly retrieve stolen cars from fields and recreation grounds. Retrospectively some of the security features are a total pain on a mid-nineties Range Rover if it, what they call, superlocks and the battery goes flat so the key loses sync even auto-locksmiths will say you're best off smashing a window.

I definitely think manufacturers may have lost focus on security, in recent times, although I think they're going to need to lock at solutions that factor in the key maybe compromised.

Edited by SNACR

9 hours ago, 201p said:

Actually a dodgy garage is worse than a dodgy car wash.

They have your address details.

They could easily put some tracker under the car at the car wash. People in this country have taken to EE car washes with gusto though. It would be impossible to predict their popularity twenty years ago. I can't understand anyone who uses them anyone that leaves the key with them, whilst they go shopping must be off their tits - haven't they seen Ferris Bueller either FFS.

Main dealers could definitely be iffy beyond their pristine showrooms not everything is what it seems. I picked a vehicle up from a premium brand dealers, in Birmingham, that a salesman who worked there was selling himself privately. He'd stored it down at their 'service centre' which was about five miles away and I followed him to. It was a large unit on an industrial estate and inside there were a dozen or more ramps where vehicles were being serviced by 'skilled technicians'. When I say 'skilled technicians' I mean any immigrant minimum wager they could lay their hands on as in front of each ramp, on the wall, was a huge idiot proof diagram of how to service that model in English and Polish. I'd bet a fairly rapid churn of staff which would greatly increase the odds of bad apples.

Food for thought too for anyone who puts great store in main dealer service history.

Edited by SNACR

Political push started:

ANGRY residents and business owners have hit out at problems caused by a "severely underfunded" police force.

More than 800 residents and 100 business owners from Shirley signed a petition calling on Alan Whitehead to raise the issue in the House of Commons.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17353498.crime-has-got-ridiculous-angry-shirley-businesses-and-residents-demand-action/

I don't think the issue is really an issue of how many police are on the street. It's really an issue of what sentences people get for stealing cars. Give a prison sentence of a year for stealing a single car and people will make the rational decision not to steal cars.

I'm being honest when I say that anyone caught stealing more than ten cars should just never be allowed out of jail. If someone can't behave they shouldn't be out in society.

Seemingly the Romanian King Vlad the Impaller was really really harsh with criminals. He put a solid gold goblet at a drinking fountain and it wasn't stolen as the thief would have been killed.

How hard would it really be for the police to find car thieves? If a car has a tracker It must be easy enough to find a stolen car and then watch it being picked up by thieves. Even an unmarked police car with CCTV in it could be used to film thieves when they pick up a stolen car.

12 minutes ago, 201p said:

Video of catalytic converter being stolen in broad daylight

You can go to the face book group to view it now (no registration necessary). People are too scared to confront and probably even to call the police. Welcome to the Wild Wild West people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/794001950679901/

Untitled.gif.4177b2f881fee192badfb050c2378e36.gif

Been reading some of the posts and this stood out as a response to Hastings Direct being hard/slow/awkward to claim off.

I work with hastings on a daily basis..i see claims where liability is accepted..there are no issues..but hastings direct have failed to raise a payment in time and therefore a judgement has been requested and granted...this is becoming so common now..and its a sign that they could looking to go bust

54 minutes ago, 201p said:

Video of catalytic converter being stolen in broad daylight

You can go to the face book group to view it now (no registration necessary). People are too scared to confront and probably even to call the police. Welcome to the Wild Wild West people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/794001950679901/

Untitled.gif.4177b2f881fee192badfb050c2378e36.gif

should be using stands as well and not just relying on the jack

Unfortunately my car (BMW M6 Gran Coupe reg: M6 GCU) was stolen from our home in Bourne Lincs PE10 this week on 9/1/19 just before 5am.
The scummy, thieving social non entities used a device to amplify the signals from the key inside our house to open my car and then possibly a further device to program a blank key through the service OBD2 port on the car and drive it away. 
This isn’t just possible to do on a BMW but any car with keyless entry or possibly other key types. This crime seems to be ever more prevalent now so I suggest old school methods like a steering wheel disclok or similar. Also these ‘faraday pouches’ you can buy are designed to block the signals being grabbed by remote equipment. Of course trackers like Automatrics or similar add further help for recovery. Seemingly more and more people are also fitting stand alone separate immobilisers like the ‘good old days’!

We think the car was driven out in the direction of Spalding Lincolnshire from eye witness accounts. 
Any help in tracing the car would be greatly appreciated and I’m offering a substantial reward for its return. It has more than likely been shipped straight out to Europe by lorry, container or similar but due to the rarity of these it shouldn’t be untraceable, I imagine pictures of it will soon pop up on social media somewhere in the world.

I can supply a VIN number if anyone happens to see one that they think could be it to check.
It’s colour is Singapore Grey with Sakhir Orange (red to most of us) full leather interior, it is a late 2015 car with the later 600bhp comp pack option on it, in addition it has the B&O sound system upgrade and most of all the other options available on it.

Please feel free to share and warn others.