• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Stolen UK Cars Facebook Group

Recommended Posts

More on the rumbled crime syndicate breaker gang at the local paper. But more importantly how they managed to start the cars:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/how-gloucestershire-breakers-yard-centre-2421217

 

How the gang stole the cars

The devices look simple enough - one is called a Legend and is a rectangular plastic box, the other is a Turbo Decoder and looks like a simple-enough key.

But both provided the tools behind a six-figure racket which saw dozens of stolen 4x4 vehicles bought to a breakers yard in the Forest of Dean.

The decoder gets the thief into the car while the Legend plugs into the vehicle diagnostic system and allows the user to start the engine and drive away.

0_Turbo-decoder.png

Both items can be purchased legally online for a combined total of £700.

“The technology they are using, we are aware of it. The way the thieves use it, we are aware of it - we know what is happening, but the art is stopping it,” said Detective Sergeant Harry Limer, who led the Gloucestershire Police investigation.

Det Sgt Limer led an operation targeting the chop shop in Sling where officers discovered more than £800,000 worth of stolen vehicles had entered the breakers yard in just a seven-month period.

The vehicles were mainly stolen from the front driveways of homes in suburban areas of London, Northampton and Leicester, before being driven to the secluded yard for resale or dismantling for parts.

0_The-legend-device.png

Three men behind the operation for 18 of the vehicles worth up to £500,000 were yesterday jailed for a combined total of 12 years. Another man received a suspended sentence.

Det Sgt Limer said: “Technology is getting advanced for thieves.

“As quickly as manufacturers increase efforts securing vehicles organised criminal gangs find ways around it. I would ask manufacturers to do more in preventing this type of crime.”

Many of the vehicles are taken from the driveways of owners, with criminals using technology to pick up and strengthen the signal from the keyless fob inside the home to open the car and drive away.

The equipment for this is readily available and the thief can use these items to steal vehicles.

The criminal can then hide the vehicle’s identity, placing new number plates on it which share the same registration as an identical car make and colour in order to stay clear of the attention of police.

The next step will be to take the vehicle to a ‘chop shop’ for parts or to export it abroad for sale.

Det Sgt Limer said: “It is a sophisticated operation which, with the right tools, can be simple.

“It is our job to react to reports of vehicle thefts and do our best to prevent this from happening.

“This criminal activity can make a lot of money, but when we catch them we will bring them to justice and apply for orders under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

In a bid to protect vehicles, Det Sgt Limer is also urging vehicle owners to do more to protect themselves.

He said: “We hear of criminals walking along estates trying every home with the technology to open the cars - they don’t care who the victim is or the impact it will have.

“What people can do is to protect their vehicles by getting a car key signal blocker case.

“They can put up CCTV outside their home, create more lighting or even have a noisy dog.

“It all makes a difference in reducing the possibility of a vehicle being stolen.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh some USEFUL Info on the internet at last! I think the first few, we already know, but we have a whole generation of adults that haven't lived through bad times of crime  that can't help flaunt that they are on holiday abroad, so please rob us!

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/area-gloucestershire-been-named-worst-2418392

How to protect yourself against burglary

Stop sharing your location and holidays on social media

If you post your holiday snaps when you’re abroad, check-in to a restaurant, or update your status when you’re out and about you’re effectively telling a burglar that your property is open for a viewing.

We visit many homes that are burgled when people are on holiday. Protect your memories; upload your posts and photos after the event.

You might also want to take this time to check your social networking security settings and remove people who you don’t think need to see your updates.

Use time switches attached to lamps

When the nights are drawing in avoid allowing your property to look empty when you’re at work or out.

Time switches are a relatively quick to install and cheap to purchase (around £5). A good idea is to use at least one for the front of your home and one for the back.

Stop sharing your valuables online

When you share your expensive bike, watch, medals and jewellery online you might just be advertising it to a burglar.

Use a fake TV burglar deterrent device

These devices cost between £10 and £25 and give the illusion that someone is watching the TV in the property. You can purchase energy-efficient devices with timers from a variety of online shops.

Keep your doors, windows and back gate locked – even when you’re there

We shouldn’t need to tell you to keep your doors and windows locked when you leave the house. You do that already – right? What you might not do already is keep your front door, back door and windows locked when you’re in the house.

Distraction theft, which can include someone talking to you at the front door while someone else enters your home from the back door or windows, has been on the rise nationally for the past few years. Protect yourself by keeping your back door and windows locked.

You probably wouldn’t expect to have a burglar come into your house through the front door while you’re there. It can however happen; keep your front door locked too.

Make sure there are no tools or equipment in your garden that can be used against you

You’d be surprised how many times we visit a property where a person’s own tools left in the garden such as a ladder or spade has been used to force a burglar’s way into a property. Make sure all of your tools and equipment are locked securely away.

Put up a ‘Beware of the dog’ sign

Burglars aren’t usually keen on dogs since they can bark and bite. Use a simple and cheap sign to put off a potential visit.

Move your wheelie bin

Where is your wheelie bin? Is it next to your locked back gate? Could someone use it to quickly get over the gate? If so move it away.

Check if your home looks like a shop

Go outside your property and have a look through the windows. What can you see? A laptop, tablet, games console, jewellery, expensive designer hand bag? Put all of these items out of sight from the window and away from prying eyes.

Move your house and car keys

Never keep your keys in the door lock. It takes seconds for someone to open your door and take the keys to use at a later date. You probably won’t hear someone open your door and think that you’ve just lost your keys.

We know that cars are a target for burglars. Move all your keys away from doors and keep them stored out of sight. Make life difficult for burglars.

Turn on the radio

We know that burglars like to see if you’re in by knocking the door first or ringing the doorbell. Even if you’re not in, the sound coming from a radio might be enough to make a burglar think twice about trying to break into your home.

Put up a window sticker

Do you have a great alarm or CCTV? Put up a window sticker to tell burglars. Even if you don’t have them (and we advise you to at least get an alarm installed) it could still put off a burglar.

Close the curtains as it's getting dark

When it gets dark outside and you turn the lights on inside, again, your home becomes a shop. Close the curtains or blinds as soon as it starts getting dark so there’s nothing to look at out from outside.

Make your property look lived-in and loved

Keep your property looking tidy from the outside, open and close your curtains regularly and keep hedges and plants around your property trimmed so that there's plenty of natural surveillance from your neighbours and the road.

Make your Apple iPhone, iPad or Mac unattractive – turn on the iCloud tracking

Apple products have the ability to use Find My iPhone and Activation Lock. This feature means that your Apple ID and password are required before anyone can turn the Find My iPhone feature off, erase your device or reactivate and use your device.

This feature is available for iPhones, iPads, Macs and Apple Watch OS2.

Using this feature can make your devices unattractive to thieves and help you to keep your device secure, even if it's in the wrong hands. You may even be able to use the feature to recover the device.

Consider buying a letterbox cage

If you’ve not put your keys away and have left them by the front door it’s possible that a burglar can use a pole through your letter box to pick up your keys and use them to enter your property. By installing a letter box cage you can help prevent this technique being used against you.

Buy good quality locks for your shed and consider adding wire mesh to any windows

Sheds are very often a target for burglars. Make yours difficult to get into by purchasing a good quality lock and adding wire mesh to the windows. If your shed has electricity running to it consider adding an alarm too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 201p said:

Oh some USEFUL Info on the internet at last! I think the first few, we already know, but we have a whole generation of adults that haven't lived through bad times of crime  that can't help flaunt that they are on holiday abroad, so please rob us!

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/area-gloucestershire-been-named-worst-2418392

How to protect yourself against burglary

Stop sharing your location and holidays on social media

If you post your holiday snaps when you’re abroad, check-in to a restaurant, or update your status when you’re out and about you’re effectively telling a burglar that your property is open for a viewing.

We visit many homes that are burgled when people are on holiday. Protect your memories; upload your posts and photos after the event.

You might also want to take this time to check your social networking security settings and remove people who you don’t think need to see your updates.

Use time switches attached to lamps

When the nights are drawing in avoid allowing your property to look empty when you’re at work or out.

Time switches are a relatively quick to install and cheap to purchase (around £5). A good idea is to use at least one for the front of your home and one for the back.

Stop sharing your valuables online

When you share your expensive bike, watch, medals and jewellery online you might just be advertising it to a burglar.

Use a fake TV burglar deterrent device

These devices cost between £10 and £25 and give the illusion that someone is watching the TV in the property. You can purchase energy-efficient devices with timers from a variety of online shops.

Keep your doors, windows and back gate locked – even when you’re there

We shouldn’t need to tell you to keep your doors and windows locked when you leave the house. You do that already – right? What you might not do already is keep your front door, back door and windows locked when you’re in the house.

Distraction theft, which can include someone talking to you at the front door while someone else enters your home from the back door or windows, has been on the rise nationally for the past few years. Protect yourself by keeping your back door and windows locked.

You probably wouldn’t expect to have a burglar come into your house through the front door while you’re there. It can however happen; keep your front door locked too.

Make sure there are no tools or equipment in your garden that can be used against you

You’d be surprised how many times we visit a property where a person’s own tools left in the garden such as a ladder or spade has been used to force a burglar’s way into a property. Make sure all of your tools and equipment are locked securely away.

Put up a ‘Beware of the dog’ sign

Burglars aren’t usually keen on dogs since they can bark and bite. Use a simple and cheap sign to put off a potential visit.

Move your wheelie bin

Where is your wheelie bin? Is it next to your locked back gate? Could someone use it to quickly get over the gate? If so move it away.

Check if your home looks like a shop

Go outside your property and have a look through the windows. What can you see? A laptop, tablet, games console, jewellery, expensive designer hand bag? Put all of these items out of sight from the window and away from prying eyes.

Move your house and car keys

Never keep your keys in the door lock. It takes seconds for someone to open your door and take the keys to use at a later date. You probably won’t hear someone open your door and think that you’ve just lost your keys.

We know that cars are a target for burglars. Move all your keys away from doors and keep them stored out of sight. Make life difficult for burglars.

Turn on the radio

We know that burglars like to see if you’re in by knocking the door first or ringing the doorbell. Even if you’re not in, the sound coming from a radio might be enough to make a burglar think twice about trying to break into your home.

Put up a window sticker

Do you have a great alarm or CCTV? Put up a window sticker to tell burglars. Even if you don’t have them (and we advise you to at least get an alarm installed) it could still put off a burglar.

Close the curtains as it's getting dark

When it gets dark outside and you turn the lights on inside, again, your home becomes a shop. Close the curtains or blinds as soon as it starts getting dark so there’s nothing to look at out from outside.

Make your property look lived-in and loved

Keep your property looking tidy from the outside, open and close your curtains regularly and keep hedges and plants around your property trimmed so that there's plenty of natural surveillance from your neighbours and the road.

Make your Apple iPhone, iPad or Mac unattractive – turn on the iCloud tracking

Apple products have the ability to use Find My iPhone and Activation Lock. This feature means that your Apple ID and password are required before anyone can turn the Find My iPhone feature off, erase your device or reactivate and use your device.

This feature is available for iPhones, iPads, Macs and Apple Watch OS2.

Using this feature can make your devices unattractive to thieves and help you to keep your device secure, even if it's in the wrong hands. You may even be able to use the feature to recover the device.

Consider buying a letterbox cage

If you’ve not put your keys away and have left them by the front door it’s possible that a burglar can use a pole through your letter box to pick up your keys and use them to enter your property. By installing a letter box cage you can help prevent this technique being used against you.

Buy good quality locks for your shed and consider adding wire mesh to any windows

Sheds are very often a target for burglars. Make yours difficult to get into by purchasing a good quality lock and adding wire mesh to the windows. If your shed has electricity running to it consider adding an alarm too.

 

Very amusing. Depends where you live I guess. Sounds like good advice for Manchester, or the paranoid. Put up a fake burglar alarm, and it looks like a fake burglar alarm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the ST is the equivalent to the Sierra RS Cosworth, Or Escort Cosworths back in the day. Still prefer the look of the Sierra Cosworth!

They don't make the rear spoiler like they used to.

Ford-Sierra-RS500-cosworth-white-alloy-wheels-street-spec.jpg&f=1

Untitled.gif.03397c5832f3c529d4d0da6ec6b5c864.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 201p said:

I guess the ST is the equivalent to the Sierra RS Cosworth, Or Escort Cosworths back in the day. Still prefer the look of the Sierra Cosworth!

They don't make the rear spoiler like they used to.

Ford-Sierra-RS500-cosworth-white-alloy-wheels-street-spec.jpg&f=1

Untitled.gif.03397c5832f3c529d4d0da6ec6b5c864.gif

Yes that's well nickable! I did have a Ford Granada with the Cosworth lump in it, but Ford had stopped putting the Cosworth badge on it so nobody knew. It was just a "steal me" label.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, 201p said:

I guess the ST is the equivalent to the Sierra RS Cosworth, Or Escort Cosworths back in the day. Still prefer the look of the Sierra Cosworth!

They don't make the rear spoiler like they used to.

Ford-Sierra-RS500-cosworth-white-alloy-wheels-street-spec.jpg&f=1

Untitled.gif.03397c5832f3c529d4d0da6ec6b5c864.gif

Cannock? Should've Chased 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now for something different.

These crooks had a RF relay device but saw the steering lock and went elsewhere.

Go to 50 secs in for the action. At 53 secs the flood light comes on, but they still continue to the front door. 

 

Edited by 201p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 201p said:

More on the rumbled crime syndicate breaker gang at the local paper. But more importantly how they managed to start the cars:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/how-gloucestershire-breakers-yard-centre-2421217

 

How the gang stole the cars

The devices look simple enough - one is called a Legend and is a rectangular plastic box, the other is a Turbo Decoder and looks like a simple-enough key.

But both provided the tools behind a six-figure racket which saw dozens of stolen 4x4 vehicles bought to a breakers yard in the Forest of Dean.

The decoder gets the thief into the car while the Legend plugs into the vehicle diagnostic system and allows the user to start the engine and drive away.

0_Turbo-decoder.png

Both items can be purchased legally online for a combined total of £700.

“The technology they are using, we are aware of it. The way the thieves use it, we are aware of it - we know what is happening, but the art is stopping it,” said Detective Sergeant Harry Limer, who led the Gloucestershire Police investigation.

Det Sgt Limer led an operation targeting the chop shop in Sling where officers discovered more than £800,000 worth of stolen vehicles had entered the breakers yard in just a seven-month period.

The vehicles were mainly stolen from the front driveways of homes in suburban areas of London, Northampton and Leicester, before being driven to the secluded yard for resale or dismantling for parts.

0_The-legend-device.png

Three men behind the operation for 18 of the vehicles worth up to £500,000 were yesterday jailed for a combined total of 12 years. Another man received a suspended sentence.

Det Sgt Limer said: “Technology is getting advanced for thieves.

“As quickly as manufacturers increase efforts securing vehicles organised criminal gangs find ways around it. I would ask manufacturers to do more in preventing this type of crime.”

Many of the vehicles are taken from the driveways of owners, with criminals using technology to pick up and strengthen the signal from the keyless fob inside the home to open the car and drive away.

The equipment for this is readily available and the thief can use these items to steal vehicles.

The criminal can then hide the vehicle’s identity, placing new number plates on it which share the same registration as an identical car make and colour in order to stay clear of the attention of police.

The next step will be to take the vehicle to a ‘chop shop’ for parts or to export it abroad for sale.

Det Sgt Limer said: “It is a sophisticated operation which, with the right tools, can be simple.

“It is our job to react to reports of vehicle thefts and do our best to prevent this from happening.

“This criminal activity can make a lot of money, but when we catch them we will bring them to justice and apply for orders under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

In a bid to protect vehicles, Det Sgt Limer is also urging vehicle owners to do more to protect themselves.

He said: “We hear of criminals walking along estates trying every home with the technology to open the cars - they don’t care who the victim is or the impact it will have.

“What people can do is to protect their vehicles by getting a car key signal blocker case.

“They can put up CCTV outside their home, create more lighting or even have a noisy dog.

“It all makes a difference in reducing the possibility of a vehicle being stolen.”

Oh dear, I’ve bought bits off them....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 201p said:

Nothing too big to nick

Untitled.gif.c4e44c69f42aa82a155dd069980d6276.gif

Possibly deliberately targeted to order that make as MAN's of that era are known for a problem with the emissions system borking the engine due to coolant loss. New engine from MAN outside of warranty is something like £25k so huge demand for their engines might even find the person who nicked it is the one who wants the engine as that would explain them getting it going although it's pretty difficult on modern trucks without the actual key as most have old style immobiliser ones. There was a real thing for old Scanias being nicked a while back as export demand for parts from that era was so strong all sorts of clapped out old horseboxes and shite going. Once they were stripped and put into the container the chassis is several tonnes and weighed in for good money when scrap prices were high.

If's it gone on a truck driving related Facebook group or forum it might be found pretty quickly if it's out in daylight. I've often seen posts about stuff being nicked and someone posts only about 20 mins later it's in such and such lay by or industrial estate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little flurry of postings normally occur at around this time of the day.

This one has like a British Legion mural on the back.

Untitled.gif.2adeb1b6926c28251d22206b77c8a45e.gif

NOT EVEN HAD IT FOR 24 HOURS FROM PURCHASE! AND TO RUB SALT INTO THE WOUND, THEY TOOK HIS MOTHERS CAR TOO

Untitled.thumb.gif.3059e03b295f24f7afe67952b806d376.gif

Edited by 201p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still lots of people are not aware of the problems with keyless entry until after doing their own research when their lives are put on hold after the devastation of their loss.

Keyless entry = Free Car for Robbers!

What was that saying about bull markets - everyone as a group gets caught up in a bull market, but people find out about the following bear markets ONE BY ONE! People get excited by keyless entry, and they are sold the idea, but find out one by one it's not a great idea after all.

Merc Tracker was disabled after being driven to a safe distance.

Untitled.thumb.gif.0bf7a87027fc11cd92d58fe268fe9269.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.