• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Stolen UK Cars Facebook Group

6 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Far higher if the car also says some hurty words on twitter...

Do you reckon if you put Trump stickers all over the car, no one would steal it?

Donald-Trump-Lamborghini-Aventador-1.jpg

573fd43265997.image.jpg&f=1

Edited by 201p

11 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Hahahaha, really? You need to ask?

:D

10 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

Far higher if the car also says some hurty words on twitter...

Thought I'd give our resident boys in blue (there must be one or two who quietly post here) a chance to restore our faith in the force..

** awaits deafening silence **

14 minutes ago, 201p said:

Do you reckon if you put Trump stickers all over the car, no one would steal it?

Donald-Trump-Lamborghini-Aventador-1.jpg

573fd43265997.image.jpg&f=1

Probably would be vandalised rather than stolen!

At the Scottish referendum time there was a lot of petty vandalism from both sides in my town so I removed a small Scottish flag sticker from my beloved Campervan.

Edited by Van Lady

I'll keep posting these if that's ok - keep the presence and vigilance up. If I can help prevent someones motor getting stolen on Dosbods, then it'll be worth it.

Learn this latin: Superesse, vigemusque, Sanctus Ignis popula turum, divide et vincere.

(Survive, thrive, Dominate, Devastate,  Divide and Conquer.)

If I get really bored I may create a chart of new posts of stolen cars and time it happened from that group to see if there is a trend.

image.png.25bb7e875c8291849dabbaf11b53fd21.png

46 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I honestly didn't think people stole cars anymore.

What with ANPR and difficulty/cost/time in either stripping or getting the thing abroad that your garden variety criminal just didn't bother anymore. 

False number plates aren't that difficult to get/make despite legislation to make it a minor irritation for the law abiding. Car theft can be quite lucrative for those so inclined. Car spares are relatively expensive. A set of nice alloys with good tyres must be quite easy to sell and make a weeks wages for little effort. Let alone what engine and suspension components cost. Admittedly there's a lot more work involved in stripping a vehicle out. 

53 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

What with ANPR and difficulty/cost/time in either stripping or getting the thing abroad that your garden variety criminal just didn't bother anymore. 

I can't see it's a very sensible crime nowadays.

On 31/12/2018 at 09:40, Thombleached said:

As I understand it they go into a container to be sold into SE Europe, the Middle East or North Africa where the enforcement authorities turn a blind eye.

That's not going to be worthwhile for a £2k car but will pay nicely for a £20k car.  As the Facebook stolen cars generally are.

Prior to going into a container they are parked somewhere quiet for a couple of days so that if they have an effective tracker it will be recovered but won't jeopardize the main consignment.

Just a thought:

You're PCP'd up to the eyeballs and you need out. You hand your Audi/Merc/BMW over to the car thieves and report it stolen a week later when it's already halfway to wherever.

You're out of your PCP, the deal with the thieves gave you a couple of thou cash to buy a banger.

You can also use the excuse that it's not worth having a good car with all these thieves about to justify on facecloth etc why you run an old car.

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As I understand it they go into a container to be sold into SE Europe, the Middle East or North Africa where the enforcement authorities turn a blind eye.

That's not going to be worthwhile for a £2k car but will pay nicely for a £20k car.  As the Facebook stolen cars generally are.

Prior to going into a container they are parked somewhere quiet for a couple of days so that if they have an effective tracker it will be recovered but won't jeopardize the main consignment.

How many second hand cars do we legally export? A bit of common sense and initiative could clamp down on this in an instant and cut the costs of having to investigate such crimes.

12 minutes ago, ste said:

How many second hand cars do we legally export? A bit of common sense and initiative could clamp down on this in an instant and cut the costs of having to investigate such crimes.

I don't see how that would help.  Grind off the VPN and punch in a new one, change the plates, sell through a dodgy dealer.

This is one of the side-effects of frictionless trade: goods, including stolen ones, can ship out of the country as unhindered and unchecked as imports and there are a lot of empty containers going out of the country all the time.

These people on the Facebook page are pissing in the wind; their car is not going to turn up it as it is already being driven by a new proud owner in Albania or Morocco.

24 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Just a thought:

You're PCP'd up to the eyeballs and you need out. You hand your Audi/Merc/BMW over to the car thieves and report it stolen a week later when it's already halfway to wherever.

You're out of your PCP, the deal with the thieves gave you a couple of thou cash to buy a banger.

You can also use the excuse that it's not worth having a good car with all these thieves about to justify on facecloth etc why you run an old car.

That had crossed my mind... What is to stop people with PCP colluding with the thieves, you could do this fraud on an industrial scale. 

1. Take car on PCP

2. Get it 'stolen' for a cash sum

3. Rinse and repeat

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

That had crossed my mind... What is to stop people with PCP colluding with the thieves, you could do this fraud on an industrial scale. 

1. Take car on PCP

2. Get it 'stolen' for a cash sum

3. Rinse and repeat

I'm sure the criminals have already thought of it, they would even know up front about trackers etc.

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't see how that would help.  Grind off the VPN and punch in a new one, change the plates, sell through a dodgy dealer.

This is one of the side-effects of frictionless trade: goods, including stolen ones, can ship out of the country as unhindered and unchecked as imports and there are a lot of empty containers going out of the country all the time.

These people on the Facebook page are pissing in the wind; their car is not going to turn up it as it is already being driven by a new proud owner in Albania or Morocco.

I'd imagine, just like with scrap metal, there are a small number doing this on an industrial scale.

I can't imagine the number of people exporting second hand cars to be that high, especially in large amounts. Wouldn't be too hard to ensure those exporting log the make, model, VIN and details of the cars the export (when where etc) in advance that are then randomly checked on export. Any anomalies would then ring alarm bells and provoke a proper investigation.

The number of times it happens suggests it's happening somewhere in bulk with stolen cars funnelled in from all over the place - it just needs disrupting. Then they're back to driving them across individually themselves which makes things more expensive and riskier.

Just now, ste said:

I'd imagine, just like with scrap metal, there are a small number doing this on an industrial scale.

I can't imagine the number of people exporting second hand cars to be that high, especially in large amounts. Wouldn't be too hard to ensure those exporting log the make, model, VIN and details of the cars the export (when where etc) in advance that are then randomly checked on export. Any anomalies would then ring alarm bells and provoke a proper investigation.

The number of times it happens suggests it's happening somewhere in bulk with stolen cars funnelled in from all over the place - it just needs disrupting. Then they're back to driving them across individually themselves which makes things more expensive and riskier.

I only know what I've read but the people stealing and exporting these cars are just booking a container passage, registering it as lawnmowers or whatever, and then filling it up with £20k cars.  There is no overlap with legitimate car exporters.

It then goes to a country which doesn't have proper checks and the cars are re-plated and sold.

Here's a prime example of quite how unregulated are these countries' motor trades even if in this rare case an illegal import was picked up:

A Macedonian government minister has been told she may be driving around in a car stolen from former England captain David Beckham.

Police suspect interior minister Gordana Jankulovska’s BMW X5 may have once belonged to Beckham before being stolen from the mean streets of Madrid last year.

Macedonian police impounded the car after it was imported from Greece and, under state law, it became the property of the Former Yugoslav Republic after officials ruled it had been imported illegally.

‘If no owner claims the property, the car can be auctioned or kept for state use,’ Ms Jankulovska said.

The minister has pledged to return the £75,000 BMW to Beckham if it is indeed his, but admits proving it may be difficult.

‘This car changed a number of owners before and some of the numbers were changed in an illegal way. It’s impossible to have a final confirmation that this is the car,’ she told the So-Called BBC.

https://metro.co.uk/2007/04/12/minister-may-be-driving-beckhams-stolen-car-292165/