• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Stolen UK Cars Facebook Group

2 hours ago, ste said:

I'd imagine, just like with scrap metal, there are a small number doing this on an industrial scale.

I can't imagine the number of people exporting second hand cars to be that high, especially in large amounts. Wouldn't be too hard to ensure those exporting log the make, model, VIN and details of the cars the export (when where etc) in advance that are then randomly checked on export. Any anomalies would then ring alarm bells and provoke a proper investigation.

The number of times it happens suggests it's happening somewhere in bulk with stolen cars funnelled in from all over the place - it just needs disrupting. Then they're back to driving them across individually themselves which makes things more expensive and riskier.

Huge amounts of vehicles exported to EE. If you park outside any Copart salvage auction it’s all EEers. They all get shoved into empty EE trucks on the way back over or on to some Transit or something they’ve bought and taking back over. They often arrange other vehicles they’ve bought to be dropped off there and then pay the Copart forkies to load them.

If you reversed a nicked one into a wall then shoved it in a curtainside truck on the way to Poland, with a load of others, no-one’s going to look twice and there’s still be loads of value in the in parts.

I often wonder how exported stolen cars effect the trade deficit. I can't help thinking that stolen stuff that's exported does wonders for the trade deficit.

We had a brand new £17k Land Rover Defender stolen. It was probably sold abroad...

Surely in this day and age it must be easy enough to fit trackers to all cars?

4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I often wonder how exported stolen cars effect the trade deficit. I can't help thinking that stolen stuff that's exported does wonders for the trade deficit.

We had a brand new £17k Land Rover Defender stolen. It was probably sold abroad...

Surely in this day and age it must be easy enough to fit trackers to all cars?

If they were factory fitted then it would be equally easy to disable them.

In theory if you have a valuable car then fit your own covert tracker and chase it down to steal it back (as I mentioned in another post they get parked somewhere quiet near the docks and if still there a couple of days later: no tracker so into the container).

I have fortunately not had mine stolen but my impression from those who have is that the police are not very interested.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

If they were factory fitted then it would be equally easy to disable them.

In theory if you have a valuable car then fit your own covert tracker and chase it down to steal it back (as I mentioned in another post they get parked somewhere quiet near the docks and if still there a couple of days later: no tracker so into the container).

I have fortunately not had mine stolen but my impression from those who have is that the police are not very interested.

It's the lack of police interest that really gets on my nerves. The police (and the wider justice system) really ought to make organized crime, and people who have chosen to make a living dishonestly, their biggest priority. If I got randomly punched by a coked up idiot on a night out or had my TV nicked by a junkie I'd be annoyed about it, but I'd be far more annoyed if someone had gone to considerable effort to make and execute a plan to deprive me of something really valuable. The same is true of fraudsters, there's little effort expended on tracking them down as far as I can see and they get ridiculously light sentences.

If a 30 grand car with a tracker is located parked up somewhere then it really is, as far as I'm concerned, perfectly reasonable to deploy a couple of officers to watch it until the thief returns to collect it. Say it takes 48 hours, that's 6 x 8 hour shifts x 2 officers, so 12 shifts, 1500-1800 quid in wages? In order to potentially bust one or more people who might be responsible for thefts worth hundreds of thousands or even millions of pounds.

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Oh right, so we pay to import cars from abroad and then watch them leave for free? I have to say I don't get how that helps, unless running a larger trade deficit is your aim?

37 minutes ago, Rave said:

If a 30 grand car with a tracker is located parked up somewhere then it really is, as far as I'm concerned, perfectly reasonable to deploy a couple of officers to watch it until the thief returns to collect it.

The thief is usually low in the pecking order of organised crime, some wannabe gangster who is disposable as far as the main protagonists are concerned.

26 minutes ago, Rave said:

It's the lack of police interest that really gets on my nerves. The police (and the wider justice system) really ought to make organized crime, and people who have chosen to make a living dishonestly, their biggest priority. If I got randomly punched by a coked up idiot on a night out or had my TV nicked by a junkie I'd be annoyed about it, but I'd be far more annoyed if someone had gone to considerable effort to make and execute a plan to deprive me of something really valuable. The same is true of fraudsters, there's little effort expended on tracking them down as far as I can see and they get ridiculously light sentences.

If a 30 grand car with a tracker is located parked up somewhere then it really is, as far as I'm concerned, perfectly reasonable to deploy a couple of officers to watch it until the thief returns to collect it. Say it takes 48 hours, that's 6 x 8 hour shifts x 2 officers, so 12 shifts, 1500-1800 quid in wages? In order to potentially bust one or more people who might be responsible for thefts worth hundreds of thousands or even millions of pounds.

Oh right, so we pay to import cars from abroad and then watch them leave for free? I have to say I don't get how that helps, unless running a larger trade deficit is your aim?

You are missing the point.

Bad people are going to do bad things, it's unavoidable. What do you do then? Crush them and put them all into prison for ever? No. That will never work, everybody would rather be in prison, well fed and comfortable rather than on the outside starving while paying to keep everybody else in prison.

So you have a level you will tolerate, bad things we don't like but will put up with as long as most people are left alone to go about their daily lives.

That's why we tolerate drug dealers. The public know where they live and the police know who they are but as long as people aren't being robbed or the druggies aren't dropping dead in the street then everybody turns a blind eye.

They don't want to catch them because the people who follow will be even worse.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, XswampyX said:

You are missing the point.

Bad people are going to do bad things, it's unavoidable. What do you do then? Crush them and put them all into prison for ever? No. That will never work, everybody would rather be in prison, well fed and comfortable rather than on the outside starving while paying to keep everybody else in prison.

So you have a level you will tolerate, bad things we don't like but will put up with as long as most people are left alone to go about their daily lives.

That's why we tolerate drug dealers. The public know where they live and the police know who they are but as long as people aren't being robbed or the druggies aren't dropping dead in the street then everybody turns a blind eye.

They don't want to catch them because the people who follow will be even worse.

If we legalized drugs then there would be no need to tolerate dealers. They are entirely a creation of a (failing) policy of prohibition, and the fact that they are tolerated is merely an acceptance of the fact that the policy has failed and that the demand for drugs is not going to go away.

In any case actually taking drugs is a victimless crime (behaving badly while under the influence or stealing to pay for them is not, but people are already prosecuted for that under the relevant laws whether they're on drugs or not). Stealing something is not a victimless crime.

It's also clearly a nonsense to suggest that people would prefer to be in prison than pay a modest amount of tax to keep the bad apples locked up. I get the impression that plenty of us on this forum are pretty cheesed off with the state of society in general but I very much doubt that anybody here is seriously thinking "fuck this, I'll just get myself banged up". The vast majority of people are decent and honest anyway, it's really not going to be the case that there's an endless supply of potential villains ready to step into the shoes of the ones you catch and lock up, especially if the evidence strongly suggests that you won't get away with it.

Edited by Rave

2 hours ago, Option5 said:

The thief is usually low in the pecking order of organised crime, some wannabe gangster who is disposable as far as the main protagonists are concerned.

Low level people can be leaned on to dob others in. Or you can keep following them until they eventually lead you higher up the chain.

https://news.sky.com/story/girl-2-taken-as-car-stolen-in-east-london-11600668?fbclid=IwAR3Q8cwTUui8CmYXMegjKy43zrPnGA_juboLCDwMRH98vgxVpivfeOT23hU

Police are urgently appealing for help tracing a two-year-old girl who was in a car when it was stolen in Newham, east London.

The girl's father had met with an unknown man at 4.37pm on Sunday, with a view to selling his car.

The man jumped in the car and drove away, with the seller's daughter in the front passenger seat.

Lots of motors being posted up on the group as stolen in the last 24 hours.

Volkswagen Scirocco

- 2x Ford Fiesta ST

- Camper Van

- Jaguar XF

- Honda Civic Sport

- Skoda Fabia

----

I see a pattern here.  They break into your house and take your keys and the cars on the drive.

If you car is parked on the road, it may actually be safer, as the thieves aren't sure which house would have the keys.

Police car compounds are no longer safe.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-apologise-after-gang-steal-same-car-twice-in-one-day-g0zdbxq89?shareToken=7b570a797ee44329c79698d2114ac036&fbclid=IwAR27da9x4CHAUrb8-PAKnp2weAYIPLyA8kZRlbLhIngMYxVfwy7wuodM37k

Police were forced to apologise after a businessman's £40,000 car was stolen twice in one day — once from outside his house and then from a secure police compound.

2 minutes ago, 201p said:

Police car compounds are no longer safe.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/police-apologise-after-gang-steal-same-car-twice-in-one-day-g0zdbxq89?shareToken=7b570a797ee44329c79698d2114ac036&fbclid=IwAR27da9x4CHAUrb8-PAKnp2weAYIPLyA8kZRlbLhIngMYxVfwy7wuodM37k

Police were forced to apologise after a businessman's £40,000 car was stolen twice in one day — once from outside his house and then from a secure police compound.

They need some bigger gates I think...

ramming the gates with a Nissan Micra

Posted (edited)

So I have collated some solutions to car theft if you don't have a garage like Fort Knox, and want more than the factory fitted immobiliser/alarm.

1. Use a steering lock. There are the usual basic ones like the Stoplock, to the beefy Disklok

stoplock.gif.7ae16d6ea71fa2fd010ac8c5e3c10a5a.gif disklok.gif.61290faf74d744c2780d77973333559c.gif

2. Install your own GPS tracker (subscription may be required), don't rely on the manufactures one, where they know the location of it in the car. But really - make it difficult to nick in the first place; trackers are probably secondary.

3. Handbrake Lock

download.jpg.e8f7c062128655da186cbc12c664d124.jpg

4. Hide your keys in your house (time to upgrade the back and front doors?), and also inside a Faraday cage if it is keyless entry

dcx_doc70xnrstip7lxp7hwxg.jpg.e95a1c2e9270952b889796f78439f98d.jpg

5. This is relatively new - locking your pedals.

This can range from a cheap thing like this:

389864380_pedallock.gif.b46b7388d937c70ae3a2f0643d94ffef.gif

to a box enclosure like this:

914923129_download(2).jpg.4fa6067c465ec2d30533cc3668505da1.jpg

or this grab clutch claw device:

491648542_s-l500(1).jpg.4cf65f17ef7147ff465160d22150c4e3.jpg

6. You could use the DVLA model, and put one on each wheel for good measure:

If you don't pay road tax for four years, then you could get a full set for free :ph34r:

1220109639_download(3).jpg.5df6e7f42453cf47d89619357f8dd961.jpg

Edited by 201p

2 hours ago, 201p said:

Lots of motors being posted up on the group as stolen in the last 24 hours.

Volkswagen Scirocco

- 2x Ford Fiesta ST

- Camper Van

- Jaguar XF

- Honda Civic Sport

- Skoda Fabia

----

I see a pattern here.  They break into your house and take your keys and the cars on the drive.

If you car is parked on the road, it may actually be safer, as the thieves aren't sure which house would have the keys.

Or park it in your garage then they don't know that you have a car.

2 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Hold on where will you be able to store all the stuff you have in the garage that stops you keeping the car in there in the first place?

Yes, generally the case but I have a combined garage and workshop so can work around the car.

The thing to do is to park the car on the street away from the house so that scum won't know which house this belongs to. 

Of course, this is annoying and shouldn't be needed but this is what you have to do. 

I'd avoid anything VAG with 4 doors and 4wd. it WILL get stolen unless you keep it away from home. 

Insurance quotes confirm this too. Parked in drive? Higher premium than on the street

Here's another beefy pedal lock for Land Rovers. Looks expensive, but consider it as theft insurance, that is self renewing each year. That becomes cheap over 5 years.

Untitled.thumb.gif.05d0b8abc4c3493f891ef69e7c488763.gif

---

This one is cheaper at £20, but I don't know how effective it is. It is probably better than a similar priced steering lock, as they can saw the steering wheel.

Untitled.jpg.e912f35def49c8f3675812a488c3ad1e.jpg

I've never had a car stolen, except a rented one, where the rental company wanted me to leave the key on a string in the letterbox. Of course I had a glass door, and somebody must have seen it.O.o.

The only one I had "worth" stealing was a Ford with a Cosworth engine.