DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

South East London / Kent area

Kurt Barlow

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Orpington is looking increasingly attractive. Its good commute times to Stratford and Erith. Our budget is about 550K. Some nice Bungalows and detached houses. Schooling an open question. 

How would you travel, out of interest? It's Zone 6 so travelcards cost a bomb. And as I say, the whole SouthEastern train network has been really poor recently, constant train breakdowns and signalling problems causing knock on effects over the entire network- no idea when they're going to be sorted out. So on paper it might be attractive, but the reality could be grief.

To me as a lifelong Zone 3 dweller it seems a long way out, but then I don't have any kids, I don't really care about diversification (beyond the obvious not being able to get a doctor's appointment etc.) and I mostly travel by bicycle. If you're used to Billericay then I daresay you'll cope.

From a brief look on Rightmove It looks as if £550k can still get you a 3-4 bed semi or EOT in Catford. You could also have a look along the London Overground route; New Cross is stabby, Brockley is as far as I can tell quite ludicrously overpriced, but from there on Sydenham and Crystal Palace might still be reasonable, and there are apparently tolerable bits of South Norwood. Fuck Penge though! :D (Beckenham's alright, I guess).

2 minutes ago, Rave said:

How would you travel, out of interest? It's Zone 6 so travelcards cost a bomb. And as I say, the whole SouthEastern train network has been really poor recently, constant train breakdowns and signalling problems causing knock on effects over the entire network- no idea when they're going to be sorted out. So on paper it might be attractive, but the reality could be grief.

To me as a lifelong Zone 3 dweller it seems a long way out, but then I don't have any kids, I don't really care about diversification (beyond the obvious not being able to get a doctor's appointment etc.) and I mostly travel by bicycle. If you're used to Billericay then I daresay you'll cope.

From a brief look on Rightmove It looks as if £550k can still get you a 3-4 bed semi or EOT in Catford. You could also have a look along the London Overground route; New Cross is stabby, Brockley is as far as I can tell quite ludicrously overpriced, but from there on Sydenham and Crystal Palace might still be reasonable, and there are apparently tolerable bits of South Norwood. Fuck Penge though! :D (Beckenham's alright, I guess).

Train. My employer covers 75%. 

Also we are being encouraged to hot desk and work from home 2 days a week:D

14 minutes ago, maudit said:

Problem with the Bromley/Orpington area is being near London you have to compete with anyone in South London who has applied. Grammars near Sutton same problem most places taken by children from London. Much easier to get in to grammar in other parts of Kent.

If you go to state school end up with the accent, have a friend from Penge with a strong accent. I sound quite chavvy to posh people xD

I'm a second generation Londoner. My dad was a right bastard for cracking down on glottal stops etc. so I got through primary school unscathed, then went to a private secondary school, so I was still on the RP train into my 20s. Then I married a local and got a job as a bus driver and it went to shit pretty quickly! I have more of a Bromley/Kent chav accent now, it's not particularly attractive I have to say, but at least it's not the dreadful 'Jafaican' that all the kids round here speak these days, which really does sound awful. I'd really not want my kids speaking like that, even though I'd have no other problems with bringing them up round here. I'm unlikely to have any now, so a moot point.

Depends on your long term plan. If its to stay and raise family get out of london. Sevenoaks/ChiselHurst/Bromely Orpington/Sidcup etc. If its to have a quick commute then somewhere closer and party somewhere closer is better as its been mentioned the commutes are shite. As mentioned zone 2 and 3 will cost you an arm and a leg. But perhaps youll get a good deal on something once corbyn gets elected.

Bobthebuilder
13 hours ago, Durabo said:

Avoid Plumstead/Thamesmead like the plague.

Almost funny really, as he needs to get to Stratford and the other half needs to get to Erith, Thamesmead would be perfect transport wise.

They could also dress up like Droogs.

Edit to add, by Thamesmead i mean Abbeywood.

17 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Ah yes the Greenwich ruling. 

This delighted my Aunt (Former teacher in Enfield)...

Kurt or anybody from the Greenwich area, anybody ever used this under the Thames:/. Also there was a television drama re. the sinister aspect of a lone woman  running the gauntlet through the Thames tunnel at night. Been trying to find it to watch ( maybe 20 years old) can't locate the name?

Edit...found it Original Sin 1997

1577975168_London_Woolwich_foot_tunnel_08.thumb.jpg.bfff0fb8b6e6d8bd2914bd31a3148cc8.jpg

6 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Almost funny really, as he needs to get to Stratford and the other half needs to get to Erith, Thamesmead would be perfect transport wise.

They could also dress up like Droogs.

Edit to add, by Thamesmead i mean Abbeywood.

I suggested a Riverboat but Mrs B not keen on that idea. :D

49 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Kurt or anybody from the Greenwich area, anybody ever used this under the Thames:/. Also there was a television drama re. the sinister aspect of a lone woman  running the gauntlet through the Thames tunnel at night. Been trying to find it to watch ( maybe 20 years old) can't locate the name?

Edit...found it Original Sin 1997

1577975168_London_Woolwich_foot_tunnel_08.thumb.jpg.bfff0fb8b6e6d8bd2914bd31a3148cc8.jpg

I use it whenever I'm cycling to the Docklands, or East London. It's quite handy. There's a near identical one at Woolwich too- the only real difference between them is that the Woolwich one only has lifts at each end, you can't take the stairs, and the Greenwich one has a 30 yard section at the north end which is kind of iron clad and narrower than the rest of it. For years I wondered why then a few years ago they put a plaque up explaining that it was damaged by a bomb in WW2.

Edit: the other difference I suppose is that the Greenwich one is quite well used, while Woolwich has been nearly empty every time I've been through it. It's near Woolwich ferry terminal. I took my bike on the ferry once, for the experience as much as anything, but it's much quicker to use the tunnel.

Bobthebuilder
22 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I suggested a Riverboat but Mrs B not keen on that idea. :D

I love the river boats, best way to get up into town. Serve coffee on the way in and beer on the way home. Best view an all.

But seriously, Erith is 2 stops from Abbeywood by train and Stratford DLR would take about 30 mins i guess.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, Rave said:

I use it whenever I'm cycling to the Docklands, or East London. It's quite handy. There's a near identical one at Woolwich too- the only real difference between them is that the Woolwich one only has lifts at each end, you can't take the stairs, and the Greenwich one has a 30 yard section at the north end which is kind of iron clad and narrower than the rest of it. For years I wondered why then a few years ago they put a plaque up explaining that it was damaged by a bomb in WW2.

Both tunnels are good. 1 runs from the Cutty Sark to Isle of dogs, other from Woolwich to Woolwich North ( Tate sugar factory).

On 29/12/2018 at 10:42, Kurt Barlow said:

Looking to buy next year and my wife has now cast her eye on SE London / Kent area as her job has taken her in that direction. I currently work in Stratford so would like to keep my commute to below 1 hour. 

Apart from a few relatives who live in Crayford or further in at Lee I don't really know the area at all. I have heard that the golden rule in SE london / Kent is to lives south of the A2-M2  (Similarly in Essex its North of the A127)

Areas that look ok are Bromley, Bexley,  Orpington, Chislehurst. Not sure about Sidcup. My Great Aunt (who is 90 today) lives in Sheltered Accommodation in Crayford and described it as the Arsehole of London (verbatim) her being a proper Cockerney girl which shocked my wife a littlexD

I know the area - nice, not very enriched, although Bromley has had problems from incursions from Beckenham, etc.  Very strong green belt defending population, so if you can find a property with a bit of a view, you are likely to keep it.  

I would say how long are you planning on living in the area?  Bearing in mind that there WILL be civil unrest at some point, and the SE if overcrowded and undersupplied already, you need to map carefully where not to be when the flag goes up.

On 30/12/2018 at 01:17, Rave said:

I'm a second generation Londoner. My dad was a right bastard for cracking down on glottal stops etc. so I got through primary school unscathed, then went to a private secondary school, so I was still on the RP train into my 20s. Then I married a local and got a job as a bus driver and it went to shit pretty quickly! I have more of a Bromley/Kent chav accent now, it's not particularly attractive I have to say, but at least it's not the dreadful 'Jafaican' that all the kids round here speak these days, which really does sound awful. I'd really not want my kids speaking like that, even though I'd have no other problems with bringing them up round here. I'm unlikely to have any now, so a moot point.

Do you drive a big red London bus? I can't imagine maneuvering a bus safely round narrow London streets you must be good at driving!

It is friendlier than RP imo. I went to state school no parental correction so have Kent chav accent and a young voice not a good combination for being taken seriously at work!

22 minutes ago, maudit said:

Do you drive a big red London bus? I can't imagine maneuvering a bus safely round narrow London streets you must be good at driving!

It is friendlier than RP imo. I went to state school no parental correction so have Kent chav accent and a young voice not a good combination for being taken seriously at work!

Yes, but I only did about 20 months driving before getting a promotion to be a Controller (I.E. a Blakey). When I fell out with my boss in 2016 I went back driving for a couple of months just to prove I still had it in me, before handing my notice in. Driving buses is good fun if you have the right mindset for it- once you figure out that you're being paid to sit there whatever happens, you can just let all the crap driving and rude passengers wash over you. I might have to go back to it at some point if I can't get any other income streams going. As the examiner said to me when I passed my test, "you've got a job for life now son, if you want it!".

In the bus industry constant swearing is absolutely de rigeuer! After 10 years of it I basically can't help myself now, I'm a liability around my 7 year old niece :$ .

On 30/12/2018 at 23:00, wherebee said:

I know the area - nice, not very enriched, although Bromley has had problems from incursions from Beckenham, etc.  Very strong green belt defending population, so if you can find a property with a bit of a view, you are likely to keep it.  

I would say how long are you planning on living in the area?  Bearing in mind that there WILL be civil unrest at some point, and the SE if overcrowded and undersupplied already, you need to map carefully where not to be when the flag goes up.

Personally I'd prefer to stay in Billericay. Its on top of a hill - good location to defend from the horde. 

6 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Personally I'd prefer to stay in Billericay. Its on top of a hill - good location to defend from the horde. 

Are you Kevin?  o.O

I live within 45 mins of London Bridge and I'm half way down in Kent.  Crayford is a real dump but then most of that area is now, unless you've got very deep pockets anyway,  why not look at the villages much further out. Much better quality of life and you'll get much more for your money. 

Apologies to Dosbodders who live in Bromley etc! 

sancho panza

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/london-home-sellers-offering-more-discounts-118287

More London homeowners are ready to cut a deal, as two in five homes for sale in the city are on the market with a discount, according to data UBS Investment Bank published Wednesday.

Quarterly research from the Swiss bank found 39% of current home listings in London have gotten a price cut, a significant rise from this time two years ago, when only 20% had a discount. The rise in negotiability comes as sellers vie for a shrinking pool of motivated buyers in the U.K., where uncertainty around Brexit has dampened activity in recent months.

The average price cut is also rising and now stands at around 2.6% per house, according to UBS, which culled data from roughly 100,000 listings on numerous real estate sites.

More: U.S. Luxury Home Sales to Slow in 2019

Discounts are the steepest and most prevalent among the more exclusive boroughs of central London. Nearly half of all homes for sale are discounted in Kensington and Chelsea, where the average price cut is over 4%.

"The London housing market remains weak, and our update shows few signs of improvement," according to the report. "Stretched affordability, high levels of supply at prime price points, and numerous changes to stamp duty have all taken their toll, at a time where Brexit uncertainties linger."

It’s now taking nearly twice as long as it did in 2016 for a seller in London to close on their home. Average time on market now hovers around 128 days, up from 77 in 2016, according to the listing data.

From Penta: The Year in Art Auctions: Quality Wins

The economic sluggishness is likely contained to the housing market, UBS said.

"In past cycles, a London downturn has preempted a wider loss of momentum and decline in consumer confidence," according to UBS. "The Bank of England appears to think this time may be different, as the capital is more exposed than the national market to stamp duty changes and is more likely to be impacted by the departure of EU nationals."

• 2 weeks later...
sleepwello'nights

That's pretty much what we were predicting isn't it. The Loddon ripple is still reaching the outer areas but nominal increases are lower than inflation so falling in real terms.

Archived