• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

I think I'm getting too old for all this...

My advice is threefold:

1) Contract  - you get paid more and can walk away if a place starts to annoy you.

2) Either up skill enough to get out of the place or ensure you have broad enough skillset to be able to switch into something else for a while.

3) If you want to learn something new at Microsoft's PowerApps and Dynamics 365. It's got a lot of the automation built in but currently still leaves plenty of things that need to be fixed with a piece of code. Plus it's what Microsoft will be using as the 2020's version of Access / Visual Basic.. It's also boom city at the moment as the UK is probably 1000+ consultants short...

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I am convinced that at least 50% of DOSBODers work in IT. B|

40+ years :Old: 
It's always been a struggle against the manglement but a combination of India and the "modern" devops/agile saviour philosophies have pretty much killed it. I'll be glad to pack it in one of these days.

23 minutes ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

We have an Agile Cookbook at our place ... all 200 pages of it.

Is that like the Anarchists cookbook but less useful or interesting?

Hope you pull through it Dave Bloke, we all get that feeling from time to time - isn't today supposed to be the most depressing day of the year? 

I don't really buy that type of stuff normally but early January blues are pretty real for me, don't think I have SAD but the long nights, dark mornings and going back to a stack load of unfinished work from pre-Xmas doesn't particularly make me bounce out of bed with a spring in my step. And knowing I'll have to wait another 51 weeks before I get 5 days off in succession again is enough to drive me back to the drink. Lord knows how people do dry January, quite happy to not drink when the weather is great and out and about, Jan is when I need the crutch!

1 hour ago, Dave Bloke said:

It has been a hard last 4 weeks. I hardly have the motivation to write this. I ran out of cash on the 17th December

Yes I meant to say as well, sorry, hope you are OK. In the 1970s when I started in IT it was a mixture of rocket science and intergalactic engineering. Never imagined it would turn into pleb handle cranking it is now

All jobs/careers/vocations have got progressively s**ter IMO, not just IT. Whenever it became unacceptable to get half cult at lunchtime in any job, safety critical or not, is the exact point it went downhill. We can argue when that date was :).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

It has been a hard last 4 weeks. I hardly have the motivation to write this. I ran out of cash on the 17th December, well in part had to get some Christmas presents but also the cost of living has gone through the fucking roof, taxes and more taxes, bills bills bills, it is never ending. This month I have to be very very careful. I can understand those yellow vest guys out on their roundabouts, things must be desperate.

The current project I'm working on is so fucking complicated. You change one line of code and you have to rewrite Cucumber tests, Mockito Tests, Selenium tests, we've got unit tests up the whazzoo. A shit load of technology to learn and understand. The project seems to integrate a worst of the last decade of bad IT ideas.

Then we've got a load of pot smokin' hippies for IT bosses. They are seriously into shit like pair programming. Well I thought, what do I know, maybe it's a good idea but it seems counter intuitive to put two people onto a job - like hoping that two women can have a baby in 4.5 months. The proof was we had our registration form that needed updating with new rules for GDPR and suchlike. It's a fucking form, a few input fields that need some method behind that runs through the rules. Only some fuckwit had written some "generic rules engine" in the past that doesn't work well with the workflow but has to be used everywhere on every single form. Anyways I started to look at the new rules and fuckwit said I had to "pair programme" then he got pissed off because I wasn't making any progress with his rules engine so I was pulled off the task despite being close to completion. He binned my work and then spent 3 weeks runing up to Christmas finally delivering something then clearing off for a few weeks along with his pair.

Well his code came back from QA as non functional. Muggins had to pick it up and spend a week fixing his crap because his "generic rules engine" was incapable of following the workflow.

Anyway we have some more rules to implement now and they want me to pair despite this clearly not working the last time for this code.

I've also been working on a security issue which someone else had given up on. The actual problem is relatively easy to fix with an Apache rewrite rule but the whole installation code is a nightmare - there is some shell script generic installation process which mixes korn and bourne shells for some reason then you need to run some fucking Ansible steaming pile of shite along with Jenkins just to update a config file.

Honestly I think I'm getting too old for all this.

maxresdefault.jpg

You have my sympathy. I decided I was too old for this shit at 30 and have been trying to get out ever since (I'm now 60). In that time shit has got 10x worse with the widespread adoption of alienating programming and project management procedures, as you describe, which amount to nothing more than old-fashioned Taylorism (deskilling) with the aim of replacing skills with "systems" reducing programmers to replaceable code-assembly technicians/ testers until there's neither art nor honour nor creativity left in the whole sorry profession. Hint: I started off writing 8-bit home computer games commercially in 6502 when coders were treated like rock stars (not quite ... but comparatively).

In 2019, thanks to having a 50-day support contract secured for a Public-sector website I created over the last couple of years, I've finally set myself the task to jump ship and get into something life-enriching so I don't have to end up with "code-monkey" engraved on my tombstone. If I fail, I swear I'll burn my CV and get a job as postie rather than scrabble around for another developer contract ever again. At least I'll be getting exercise and meeting people occasionally! Good luck to you!

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

40+ years :Old: 
It's always been a struggle against the manglement but a combination of India and the "modern" devops/agile saviour philosophies have pretty much killed it. I'll be glad to pack it in one of these days.

If you have been around that long you will have been round this particular circuit at least three or four times by now in varying forms.  Devops/Agile with its daily stand ups, scrums, sprints, time boxes etc is just the latest in a long line of quasi religious IT philosophies that believes if we can get the incantations and rituals right then the software will come to Jesus. 

Edited by Virgil Caine

3 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

If you have been around that long you will have seen round particular circuit at least three or four times by now in varying forms.  Devops/Agile with its daily stand ups, scrums, sprints, time boxes etc is just the latest in a long line of quasi religious IT philosophies that believes if we can get the incantations and rituals right then the software will come to Jesus. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

27 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

If you have been around that long you will have seen round particular circuit at least three or four times by now in varying forms.  Devops/Agile with its daily stand ups, scrums, sprints, time boxes etc is just the latest in a long line of quasi religious IT philosophies that believes if we can get the incantations and rituals right then the software will come to Jesus. 

Nicely put. I attended an "agile immersion" course and was informed that faith in the method was of central importance. I immediately consigned the entire methodology to the "bullshit" folder. Even the nomenclature of their stupid fucking ceremonies wind me up. A "scrum" is about the most profoundly unable thing on earth......

1 hour ago, George Costanza said:

Fuck me, why does every single company do exactly the same thing. They just follow the herd. Agile; Indian offshoring; throwing more developers at something when it's going wrong: ...

Agile my arse. Our company has just published a rigid set of guidelines to ensure that everyone is working in an agile way. They see no irony in this. 

If I gave a fuck, I'd despair

I'm coming to the conclusion that once an organisation gets over a certain size it becomes inevitable that the only people who will ever end up in management are pushy morons who spend all their time faking competence by copying everybody else.

xD

I knew the IQ-level of the software industry was plummeting when they started evangelising about "mobile-first" websites - in an era when a typical smartphone already exceeded the minimum resolution we were designing our desktop experiences for. "Why can't users just turn their phones?" I asked at conferences. "No, we can't ask them to do that" I was told, better that we lop functionality out of all our web apps and double the development overhead to fit the portrait aspect. Which continues to this day when mobile resolutions are even higher.

1 hour ago, wherebee said:

My advice, for men and women alike, is to have a wank.  Nobends and bad management are like the rain - always with us, and not much you can do about it until the clouds pass.

I’d wait until you leave the office unless you really DGAF!

3 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I'm coming to the conclusion that once an organisation gets over a certain size it becomes inevitable that the only people who will ever end up in management are pushy morons who spend all their time faking competence by copying everybody else.

xD

A lot of this shit is now included as tender-requirements for Public-sector contracts (by commissioning managers who don't understand what the terms mean anyway):

It could be worse. You could be trying to keep up with the latest JavaScript framework. Or have half-delivered the latest framework, only to discover they have updated it with something completely incompatible.

Or you could be starting a new microservices project where no-one actually knows what it is or the amount of plumbing required.

3 hours ago, Dave Bloke said:

It has been a hard last 4 weeks. I hardly have the motivation to write this. I ran out of cash on the 17th December, well in part had to get some Christmas presents but also the cost of living has gone through the fucking roof, taxes and more taxes, bills bills bills, it is never ending. This month I have to be very very careful. I can understand those yellow vest guys out on their roundabouts, things must be desperate.

The current project I'm working on is so fucking complicated. You change one line of code and you have to rewrite Cucumber tests, Mockito Tests, Selenium tests, we've got unit tests up the whazzoo. A shit load of technology to learn and understand. The project seems to integrate a worst of the last decade of bad IT ideas.

Then we've got a load of pot smokin' hippies for IT bosses. They are seriously into shit like pair programming. Well I thought, what do I know, maybe it's a good idea but it seems counter intuitive to put two people onto a job - like hoping that two women can have a baby in 4.5 months. The proof was we had our registration form that needed updating with new rules for GDPR and suchlike. It's a fucking form, a few input fields that need some method behind that runs through the rules. Only some fuckwit had written some "generic rules engine" in the past that doesn't work well with the workflow but has to be used everywhere on every single form. Anyways I started to look at the new rules and fuckwit said I had to "pair programme" then he got pissed off because I wasn't making any progress with his rules engine so I was pulled off the task despite being close to completion. He binned my work and then spent 3 weeks runing up to Christmas finally delivering something then clearing off for a few weeks along with his pair.

Well his code came back from QA as non functional. Muggins had to pick it up and spend a week fixing his crap because his "generic rules engine" was incapable of following the workflow.

Anyway we have some more rules to implement now and they want me to pair despite this clearly not working the last time for this code.

I've also been working on a security issue which someone else had given up on. The actual problem is relatively easy to fix with an Apache rewrite rule but the whole installation code is a nightmare - there is some shell script generic installation process which mixes korn and bourne shells for some reason then you need to run some fucking Ansible steaming pile of shite along with Jenkins just to update a config file.

Honestly I think I'm getting too old for all this.

maxresdefault.jpg

xD So your close-to-completion development was binned and replaced by another's non-functional code, which you then had to fix?

Yeah had similar, long ago, but it was the highest paid contract I've ever had, which compensated a bit. But the bloke who walked off the job in disgust the day I decided to stay and take the money was the one who was right, not me, though it took 2 years for me to realise that.

Be careful, I finished up taking 4 months off after that finished because I was so demotivated (was at least lucky I could afford it and to bugger off travelling for a bit, was single) and couldn't muster any enthusiasm for ages and have never enjoyed IT as much since.

Maybe you should get that yellow jacket out of the car!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mental Floss said:

Nicely put. I attended an "agile immersion" course and was informed that faith in the method was of central importance. I immediately consigned the entire methodology to the "bullshit" folder. Even the nomenclature of their stupid fucking ceremonies wind me up. A "scrum" is about the most profoundly unable thing on earth......

I went on a (paid for by someone else) Neuro-Linguistic Programming course once. The lecturer made it clear there was little scientific evidence for it's efficacy and she didn't believe in most of it.

I regard Agile as BS. I call it POP (programmer-oriented programming.)

POP - er, I mean Agile - is OK for the back-end of a website for a local dentist, but I wouldn't use it to develop a, say, Air Traffic Control System. It's not the thing you want to discover a programmer has added a non-specification 'neat feature' to on his own 'initiative' first thing in the morning.

One problem with 'self-organising' teams is that the dominant, more extroverted people tend to cherry-pick the more interesting work, even when they are not the best-skilled people to perform it. And they think Agile means 'no documentation' or 'we'll get round to it when we have finished playing'. 

Edited by Happy Renting

Posted (edited)

The problem is the whole world, or certainly the western democracies,  just need to stop really and have a bloody good discussion about where exactly we're going with the whole humanity and society thing. Unlike any previous point in history almost everyone can see which way the wind's blowing.

It seems, finally, there's an acceptance that past Luddism, industrial action or any other futile reactionary clock hand turning back efforts never work long term and only delay the inevitable - although I wouldn't necessarily rule out another throw of the dice on it.

Then there's the future that only seems to hold ever increasing numbers of idle hands for the devil to make work for or something that ultimately leads to living in a flotation tank plugged into the Matrix.

This storm cloud looms over everyone whilst we all carry on, as we've always done like a furiously whistling load of blokes at a urinal, pretending everything is tickety-boo. I think more of the malaise stems from this than what seem to be the actual problems, say at work. Whatever your current work situation, there's very few where it's possible to imagine anything bright on the horizon. Might just have to accept the best days of IT work are gone and that's that though but it's far from the only industry/vocation like that.

Edited by SNACR

8 hours ago, dgul said:

There is a next stage -- which is automation.  We're pretty close now with coding -- it'll produce a mess that won't work quite as intended, but they'll just change requirements to suit the automation.  Oh, and there'll be loads of unexpected outputs, but that's fine, because they're unexpected.

I think this is the crux of it, to some extent the advent of Agile/Automated testing are the precursors to these systems being available - programming will turn into a systems design and verification/validation exercise backed up by  the automated test suite - both needing to be uniform and systems agnostic (well as much as that is possible within any given environment). Code efficiency /compactness went out the window when processors moved from the Mhz to Ghz range,  to be replaced by an ever changing set of flavour of the month frameworks in the web space, the actual code volumes are vast nowadays even for just small projects. Meanwhile in the real world if you have a skill in sales / marketing / some of the other engineering fields the skillset and learnt information at least has a shelf life of a  few decades rather than a few years. The re-learning alone is incessant and grinding, let alone the frustration of working in teams, with bad specs (or even goals) in the first place or shifting requirements.