• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Passive aggressive triggers on the road. Ying & Yang Zen Theories.

funny-animals-dogs-driving-cars-038.jpg&f=1

^Be a cool dog on the road

Since the attack of one of our Dosbods members on the road with a knife, I am making a list of triggers to avoid to stay safe on road:

Rule 101 - all other drivers are potentially bat shit crazy and late to catching a flight.

1. Avoid flashing people with your headlights; use you hazard lights.  A flash of light is a direct aggressive message to strangers, and can trigger a flash point anger burst. 

2. Avoid using your horn unless there is imminent danger. Don't use it to hurry someone else up at the lights. You could try the "fake stop start engine" technique by turning off your engine and turning it on again. Or edge your car a little closer but not within "Personal Car Space" (PCS)* range. It is likely someone else will honk for you, and if they do get out you can say it was the people behind that honked.

3. Obviously don't tail gate, unless you are looking for a fight.

4. At night, you may need to be a little further back when following someone. If you find your headlights are shining on the back of the drivers head, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE. On the receiving end, have you found it annoying when someone behind you is so close that their headlights are causing a shadow of your head on the ceiling in your own car, or reflecting off the wing mirrors and dazzling you? I usually find it helpful to completely turn the rear view mirror completely up (at your own risk, not advice) to avoid dazzle from drivers that need to wear glasses and don't understand about keeping your distance. 

dazzling_night_driving.jpg&f=1

5. At traffic lights stopped on red at night, use your handbrake, instead of the foot pedal brake. This means the driver behind isn't getting dazzled. I find 90% of drivers don't use the handbrake at lights. Next time you are at the traffic lights at night, count how many around you are using hand/parking brakes? It is safer, because if someone does slam into the back of you, then you don't roll forward. Also it may help to use your indicator appropriately - if you are stuck in a long queue of 10 going right, and the light only lets 2 of you through, there is no need to leave that indicator flashing and dazzling the driver behind if you are joining that queue. Think how would you like it on the receiving end?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/general-rules-techniques-and-advice-for-all-drivers-and-riders-103-to-158

You MUST NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27

6. Parking at car parks. The people who are in a rush, lose their tempers mostly, are the ones that park closest to the entrance of where the shop or supermarket is. If you don't use the disabled bays, then park 1/2 to the furthest distance away. This way you avoid people who are multi-tasking(facebooking) whilst driving.

7. Avoid eye contact with other drivers - if possible wear sunglasses or look at the front of the car, and not at the drivers face when turning. Don't rely on others indicators from on-coming cars at a junction. 

Feel free to add your own.

*PCS - 1m space around someone else's car.

Edited by 201p

To add a heartwarming story to this.  I was driving in North  Yorkshire the other day. Person soming towards me flashed their lights a number of times in quick succession. 

Oh, ho, thought I, speed cop ahead. And there was. It’s common round here 

Edited by One percent
Crapple autocorrect

It is an offence to warn people of speed cameras. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/warning-drivers-speed-cameras-could-12736933

The Highway Code, under rule 110, states: “Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there.

---

Why not use hazard lights more? Because of the bumps in the road, it is hard to tell if someone is flashing you or not sometimes. With hazard lights, it is definitely a deliberate action, rather than possibly accidental. 

People already use hazard lights to say thank you if you let them turn out or the, left right left right action of the indicators. This is probably not their intended use, but also useful if you want to warn oncoming traffic if there are animals such as ponies, on the road.

Edited by 201p

When someone waits for you to pass on a narrow section at night don't flash on main beam to say 'thank you'.

I always say thank you by briefly dipping to sidelights. Pisses me off when people blind me with a brief flash of main beam.

If it wasn't dark so that I can't see the size of the other driver, I'd be out with my Swiss army knife in a flash.

8. Get a fast car so you can get away quickly and disregard the previous 7.

(Joking by the way)

Does anyone know why it's polite to thank people that thank you, on the roads. Has it always been thus?

^Where we live there is a hill with a narrow road with a bend, parked with cars on both sides.

You have pull over to let people through, you normally get the Hitler salute as a thank you. I do the Trump thumbs up instead when I thank some one.

Edited by 201p

3 minutes ago, spunko said:

(Joking by the way)

Does anyone know why it's polite to thank people that thank you, on the roads. Has it always been thus?

No idea

I have exactly the same quizzical thought when I say 'thank you' after I hand over money to pay for something at a cashier's till.

Use a scabby older car (note, not classic), rather than a newer car.  People will be less likely to take you on, because:

• You're in an older car, and thus probably don't care about things like bumps, whereas people in newer cars really care about car park dings, etc.  Hence they'll park far away from you, not get too close on the road, etc.
  • People in a newer car tend to think they're better/richer than (poor) people in older cars, hence there's less reason to get into confrontation to prove that they're better.
  • They might think that a person driving an old car might be a tough druggie or a miner or something, and keep away, whereas new car drivers are all soft management types and worth getting cross at.

39 minutes ago, 201p said:

^Where we live there is a hill with a narrow road with a bend, parked with cars on both sides.

You have pull over to let people through, you normally get the Hitler salute as a thank you. I do the Trump thumbs up instead when I thank some one.

They do it a lot around Selhurst in London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46786189

Edited by NewryH

45 minutes ago, 201p said:

I raise my index finger, avoids taking hand off the steering wheel

2 hours ago, spunko said:

Yes, seriously.

Around here anyway 80% of day to day irritatations evaporate when you are able to drive around in your own space.

You need to drive something properly quick to avoid challenges. It's jungle law, if you are a 6ft medium set bloke in the kebab shop at 1am you are still at risk, if you are 6ft 8 and look like Tyson Fury you rarely be taken on, especially by anybody accompanied by friends or partners, same principle with cars.

To extend the analogy, if you come across a similar high powered car, the usual reaction is quiet respect, not constant challenge. Of course, there will always be exceptions.

Most journeys in my Porsche 911 GT3RS, with optional £8k ceramic brakes, optional £800 white instrument pack, and optional £400 body colour dashboard trim, are relatively serene.

Despite driving everywhere below the posted speed limit it's rare to have anybody riding along up my rear end.

Only negative seems to be not being able to leave it parked anywhere random.

2 hours ago, Hopeful said:

When someone waits for you to pass on a narrow section at night don't flash on main beam to say 'thank you'.

I always say thank you by briefly dipping to sidelights. Pisses me off when people blind me with a brief flash of main beam.

I drop to sidelights if i'm first in the queue at traffic lights, especially where they have right turn filters. This is to avoid blinding drivers turning right in front of me. Handbrake at lights etc but only release the brake pedal when there is a car stopping/stopped behind me. Same if someone is turning right into a road i'm waiting to get out of, helps them see pedestrians etc.

32 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Yes, seriously.

Around here anyway 80% of day to day irritatations evaporate when you are able to drive around in your own space.

You need to drive something properly quick to avoid challenges. It's jungle law, if you are a 6ft medium set bloke in the kebab shop at 1am you are still at risk, if you are 6ft 8 and look like Tyson Fury you rarely be taken on, especially by anybody accompanied by friends or partners, same principle with cars.

To extend the analogy, if you come across a similar high powered car, the usual reaction is quiet respect, not constant challenge. Of course, there will always be exceptions.

Most journeys in my Porsche 911 GT3RS, with optional £8k ceramic brakes, optional £800 white instrument pack, and optional £400 body colour dashboard trim, are relatively serene.

Despite driving everywhere below the posted speed limit it's rare to have anybody riding along up my rear end.

is that a "Bedrag_mode" GT3, or an actual one?

3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Last one I bought was made by Valmet in Finland, they now make Mercedes A and GLC class.....................

Overpriced shopping trolleys.:Old:

4 hours ago, 201p said:

I make the sign of the cross. 

3 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Yes, seriously.

I know you are joking but you can accelerate away from a lot of issues in a fast car, as with a bike (I'm told).