DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Aldi reports sales up 10% yoy/Morrisons to slash prices.

sancho panza

sancho panza

Not clear if the 10% figure is like for like or revenue.Either way.It's trouble for the big boys.

Shopping trends are a great footfall indicator of where real wages are...................also take a look around Waitrose as I do on the odd occasion and the tills are slow,no queues and the customers are mostly over 65.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/01/aldi-reports-best-ever-uk-christmas-trading-period/

Aldi has boasted a profitable festive period in which it raked in almost £1 billion in sales during December.

The discount grocery retailer said it recorded its best-ever UK Christmas trading period, which it credited to the increased demand for premium ranges.

December 17 was the busiest week for Aldi with sales increasing by 10 per cent compared to the previous year.

During the month, 17 million bottles of wine, champagne and prosecco were bought.

“We begin the new year with great momentum as the UK’s fastest-growing supermarket and on the back of record Christmas sales,” Aldi UK chief executive Giles Hurley said.

“This has been achieved by bringing amazing-quality groceries at the lowest prices to our customers and this remains our key focus for the year ahead.”

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/01/morrisons-will-slash-prices-supermarkets-compete-customer-loyalty/

Morrisons has announced plans to slash prices off 900 products as analysts predict a Christmas sales boost for discount retailers Aldi and Lidl.

Retail trading updates are predicted to indicate that Aldi and Lidl’s low prices and heavy advertising sustained its win during the Christmas battle among supermarkets in the UK.

Morrisons said it would continue to defend its market share by slashing an average of 20 per cent off “store cupboard favourites”.

“We’re listening to customers who are telling us that their budgets will be stretched in January, so we are cutting every penny we can on the essentials that will help them feed their families.” Morrisons marketing director Andy Atkinson said.

Morrisons, Sainsbury’s and Tesco will post Christmas sales results on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday respectively.

Predictions also indicate that Morrisons would post a 0.5 per cent increase in retail sales during the festive period.

Bobthebuilder
5 minutes ago, spunko said:

This one's interesting:

"2/3 of shoppers visited LIDL or ALDI over Christmas"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/08/uk-aldi-lidl-christmas-supermarkets-brexit

Good that they mention Iceland, a British store. I haven't been in one in years but I'm planning on checking out the local one soon.

Iceland have some ok stuff, the takeaway curry range is pretty good, cheap curry range is awful mind.

Ice creams ok, i quite like them shit Sunday dinners on a crap plastic plate that they do from time to time.

3 hours ago, Harley said:

Took my Aldi receipt into Morrisons a few weeks back.  Aldi were, surprisingly, far cheaper.

Morrison offer a higher quality than Aldi.

Some aldi stuff is good. Most is a bit mnergh.

Id be very happy living near a large Morrisons. They beat the are off sainsbury, tesco n coop on price.

The interesting next thing is asda sainbury merger. Itll get banned. Sainsbury will go into a death spiral.

4 hours ago, spunko said:

This one's interesting:

"2/3 of shoppers visited LIDL or ALDI over Christmas"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/08/uk-aldi-lidl-christmas-supermarkets-brexit

Good that they mention Iceland, a British store. I haven't been in one in years but I'm planning on checking out the local one soon.

Ive never found iceland that good.

There thing is crap party food - frozen.

Looks great on packet - prawn ring is the top product.

Formless, bland mush when cooked.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Morrison offer a higher quality than Aldi.

Some aldi stuff is good. Most is a bit mnergh.

Id be very happy living near a large Morrisons. They beat the are off sainsbury, tesco n coop on price.

The interesting next thing is asda sainbury merger. Itll get banned. Sainsbury will go into a death spiral.

Agree. My shop of choice based on quality of raw ingredients (meat mainly) is Morrisons. Lidl is good for the wine. Asda, I would use if they were giving it away. 

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree. My shop of choice based on quality of raw ingredients (meat mainly) is Morrisons. Lidl is good for the wine. Asda, I would use if they were giving it away. 

I tried a bottle of 12 aldi scotch ... one for drunk guests.

Ive never managed to get decent booze - beer, wine, spirits from aldi.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Saturday morning they do cheap wine.  All the alkies and some dosbodders line up at opening time. :)

seriosly, the wine is good. The cheap stuff quaffable, the more expensive is very good. 

Edit to add, they had some fabulous cheese very reasonably priced over Christmas. Thinking emposs (sp?) and Roquefort. 

Iceland is alright for the kids food, chicken nuggets etc. That kind of thing they're as cheap and usually better than the big supermarkets. And the guy who runs it was on TV having a laugh at all the others when they caught caught peddling horsemeat and he didn't.

Aldi/Lidl were only ever worth the queue for cheap eggnog over Xmas and the 85p frankfurters. They weren't doing the 'nog this year and there's a limit to how long I can be arsed to queue up just for salty fake sausages.

Bobthebuilder

Sainsburys in a death spiral?  never seen one of them on the fresh cake counter.

Aldi/ Lidl great for booze? Agree with that.

Morrisons meat good? i'm guessing you've never been to a good butchers shop.(probably the best meat from a supermarket though).

Crikey, you are all to posh for me.

I feel uncomfortable on Acados website.

sancho panza
46 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/aldi-gin-best-world-spirit-10-cost-cheap-international-wine-spirits-competitions-awards-a7864211.html

With our love of mother’s ruin showing no signs of abating, we have good news: one of the best gins in the world has been revealed to cost under a tenner.

The £9.97 Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin from Aldi won a gold medal at the International Wine and Spirits Competition (IWSC) this week.

In doing so, the budget retailer’s gin beat bottles costing up to four times the price in the blind taste test.

A spokesperson at the International Spirits Challenge said: “The display of awards achieved by Aldi this year at the International Spirits Challenge was fantastic. They consistently showcased high quality products in the blind tastings, which demonstrates that you don’t have to compromise on price to enjoy great tasting drinks. 

“As a collective result across all categories from the competition, the supermarket undoubtedly was this year’s winner of the ‘Supermarket Own Branded Spirits Range of the Year!’”

35 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

Iceland is alright for the kids food, chicken nuggets etc. That kind of thing they're as cheap and usually better than the big supermarkets. And the guy who runs it was on TV having a laugh at all the others when they caught caught peddling horsemeat and he didn't.

Aldi/Lidl were only ever worth the queue for cheap eggnog over Xmas and the 85p frankfurters. They weren't doing the 'nog this year and there's a limit to how long I can be arsed to queue up just for salty fake sausages.

The queues move a shedload quicker than Siansbury's/Tesco's.Occasionally,we have to go to one of the big four for stuff they don't sell and I find the wait while the assistant chats about the weather and the old dear slowly packs her bags a long one.

Genuinely,I can be in and out of Aldi in 25 mins with a full weeks shop.Horses for courses though,I understand some people like to pack bags at the tills,I don't.

11 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Sainsburys in a death spiral?  never seen one of them on the fresh cake counter.

Aldi/ Lidl great for booze? Agree with that.

Morrisons meat good? i'm guessing you've never been to a good butchers shop.(probably the best meat from a supermarket though).

Crikey, you are all to posh for me.

I feel uncomfortable on Acados website.

Re the meat thing. If you live in londonistan, then the only independent butchers are halal, unless you live in a very rich, well-to-do area. 

Morrisons runs its own farms and for meat is very good. 

I can only assume Morrisons are stronger / better up north. Down here they're rammed full of dodgy forriners / Lithuanians, the stores themselves and the staff are really depressing, and they are far too crowded. I would never shop there unless it's late evening but by then shelves are empty. I can't wait to get out of Morrisons round here - went in one in Wales and it was much better, mind.

But then again I think the same for LIDL. Never been in a 'nice' LIDL.

Just now, spunko said:

I can only assume Morrisons are stronger / better up north. Down here they're rammed full of dodgy forriners / Lithuanians, the stores themselves and the staff are really depressing, and they are far too crowded. I would never shop there unless it's late evening but by then shelves are empty. I can't wait to get out of Morrisons round here - went in one in Wales and it was much better, mind.

But then again I think the same for LIDL. Never been in a 'nice' LIDL.

There is one near me in londonistan which is my supermarket of choice. 

I don’t work in their pr department. Honest. :)

Just now, One percent said:

There is one near me in londonistan which is my supermarket of choice. 

I don’t work in their pr department. Honest. :)

Maybe it's just that you don't mind crowds, I think I have some mild form of agoraphobia and it rules out Morrisons or larger Tesco / ASDA stores, in the SE during the day... Sod that!

(and especially at weekends. Incidentally never understood why OAPs go shopping on a weekend when they have all week).

Morrisons smells funny. And I once bought a deli pork pie from ours that made me sick for a week. 

Mind you the local Morrisons is sadly located across the street from the town's sink estate and thus is always crawling with junkies. So maybe I just have a warped impression of it.

I never have to queue in Asda or Tesco, they have plenty of self service tills now and I'm always out as fast as I could hope to be.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Maybe it's just that you don't mind crowds, I think I have some mild form of agoraphobia and it rules out Morrisons or larger Tesco / ASDA stores, in the SE during the day... Sod that!

(and especially at weekends. Incidentally never understood why OAPs go shopping on a weekend when they have all week).

Mine’s empty. I wonder how they keep afloat. The EErs tend to shop in the Tesco extra five minutes down the road 

Bobthebuilder
48 minutes ago, One percent said:

Re the meat thing. If you live in londonistan, then the only independent butchers are halal, unless you live in a very rich, well-to-do area. 

Morrisons runs its own farms and for meat is very good. 

I live in Londanistan, lots of good butchers about and shit ones to. I always stop in the posh bits of town to buy me expensive Wirral chops.

1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I live in Londanistan, lots of good butchers about and shit ones to. I always stop in the posh bits of town to buy me expensive Wirral chops.

Agree but underline the expensive bit. In rural areas, good butchers are practically on every street corner and are good value for money. 

Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

WTF is a Wirral chop? Live oop north near't Wirral on't eard of now't like that.

Bobthebuilder
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Agree but underline the expensive bit. In rural areas, good butchers are practically on every street corner and are good value for money. 

Yes i agree. I stop at a dead wankey butchers in South London. 2 pork chops from Wirral smallholders £9 a kilo, suits me.

Bobthebuilder
4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

WTF is a Wirral chop? Live oop north near't Wirral on't eard of now't like that.

A chop from the Wirral?? ie near Liverpool.

Archived