DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Aldi reports sales up 10% yoy/Morrisons to slash prices.

sancho panza

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Id be very happy living near a large Morrisons. They beat the are off sainsbury, tesco n coop on price.

Tesco's prices were crazy compared to Morrisons, let alone Aldi. 

Disagree, Aldi quality is just as good but the range is less (even after Morrisons big drive to reduce SKUs).  I do Aldi weekly and Morrisons once a month.

Ive never found iceland that good.

I tried them too versus Aldi on price and range.  Not good, other than had stuff not seen elsewhere.

Ive never managed to get decent booze - beer, wine, spirits from aldi.

A bit hit and miss with Aldi wine quality wise but the Christmas Chateauneuf, etc was very good.  Tescos has the best choice and Waitrose the best quality but expensive.

1 hour ago, Bobthebuilder said:

never been to a good butchers shop

Spot on.  World of difference.  I'd rather have less of better quality any day.  Most near me can even tell me where (locally) the meat has come from.

Most supermarket chicken seems to be old egg layers.  Aldi organic/free range chicken is inedible.  Tough as old boots.  Wrote to them.  No reply.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

went in one in Wales and it was much better, mind.

Very true.

39 minutes ago, One percent said:

Bit bloody far from londonistan 

Anything good is!

Bedrag Justesen
5 hours ago, Harley said:

Tescos has the best choice and Waitrose the best quality but expensive.

My Tesco Clubcard vouchers inexplicably were not valid for alcohol purchases.

If you compare prices online beforehand, Waitrose can often be the cheapest, even cheaper than ASDA. Even more so, if you have some Save £8 When You Spend £40 vouchers.

Admittedly, you may need to go through the tills twice to make two separate transactions, but each time you can claim a free £3 paper. Nobody bothers with free coffee anymore since cups finished.

I don't actually know anybody that shopped for Christmas drinks at TESCO, purely because their vouchers didn't apply. They must have lost millions in Wales. xD

11 hours ago, Calcutta said:

Iceland is alright for the kids food, chicken nuggets etc. That kind of thing they're as cheap and usually better than the big supermarkets. And the guy who runs it was on TV having a laugh at all the others when they caught caught peddling horsemeat and he didn't.

Aldi/Lidl were only ever worth the queue for cheap eggnog over Xmas and the 85p frankfurters. They weren't doing the 'nog this year and there's a limit to how long I can be arsed to queue up just for salty fake sausages.

Horsemeat is too pricey flr Iceland

11 hours ago, spunko said:

I can only assume Morrisons are stronger / better up north. Down here they're rammed full of dodgy forriners / Lithuanians, the stores themselves and the staff are really depressing, and they are far too crowded. I would never shop there unless it's late evening but by then shelves are empty. I can't wait to get out of Morrisons round here - went in one in Wales and it was much better, mind.

But then again I think the same for LIDL. Never been in a 'nice' LIDL.

Wont those souterhn morrisons be old safeways?

The northern morrisons are very good.

11 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Sainsburys in a death spiral?  never seen one of them on the fresh cake counter.

Aldi/ Lidl great for booze? Agree with that.

Morrisons meat good? i'm guessing you've never been to a good butchers shop.(probably the best meat from a supermarket though).

Crikey, you are all to posh for me.

I feel uncomfortable on Acados website.

Sainso gong ll out to buy revenue is failing - sales down.

ASDA merger will be last straw for Sainers manabgement.

Bobthebuilder

Wont those souterhn morrisons be old safeways?

The northern morrisons are very good.

Sainso gong ll out to buy revenue is failing - sales down.

ASDA merger will be last straw for Sainers manabgement.

The first time i went into Morrisons was up north in the early 2000s, we didnt have them down south then. I was really impressed.

Sainsburys have a loyal customer base. I know a few EE who shop at Sainsburys because they cant stand the chavskis in Lidl.(have you tried buying Maldon sea salt in a discounter?).

Annectdote Re Sainsbury’s. Friends, family and myself all received those weekly coupon vouchers in the run up to Christmas. Some used them some didn’t and shopped elsewhere. 

Bedrag Justesen
57 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

Annectdote Re Sainsbury’s. Friends, family and myself all received those weekly coupon vouchers in the run up to Christmas. Some used them some didn’t and shopped elsewhere. 

Morrisons, MSM stated sales up mostly because Morrisons online fulfills Amazon grocery orders ?

Morrisons themselves seem determined to drive their loyalty card holders to shop online rather than in store.

We received £90 of money off vouchers (£45x 2), ie £15 off each of initial three online shops at Morrisons online.

M&S seem to have the same idea. M&S were very quiet each time we visited over Christmas & New Year. Like John Lewis, M&S have a tactic of urging in-store customers to go home and order online from 'the website'.

Scorched earth retail.

Aldi are terrible for veg and fruit, shelf life is non-existent. So perishables I buy from Morrisons as well as some sauces/spices/other stuff which you can't pick up in discounters as their range is so limited. Booze and everything else is Aldi now. The booze is fantastic, I drink knock off Bailey's from Aldi for something silly like £3.50 a bottle. The little 12 packs of beer they do  I genuinely prefer to the piss like Carling/Carlsberg/Stella. Time and time again planks who think they know booze are found to be overpaying when blind taste tests actually show a preference to the discounter selection. 

On 08/01/2019 at 21:50, Harley said:

Tesco's prices were crazy compared to Morrisons, let alone Aldi.

Around 7 - 8 years ago I had a checkout job at Morrisons. I had a few customers still wearing their Sainsburys and Tescos uniforms actually do their shopping there! So even accounting for their staff discount (about 10% off I would guess, same as I got) they were still better of shopping at Morrisons than their own places of work!

Perhaps many more rival supermarket staff members came to Morrisons when not in uniform!

On 09/01/2019 at 13:18, Bedrag Justesen said:

Morrisons, MSM stated sales up mostly because Morrisons online fulfills Amazon grocery orders ?

Morrisons themselves seem determined to drive their loyalty card holders to shop online rather than in store.

We received £90 of money off vouchers (£45x 2), ie £15 off each of initial three online shops at Morrisons online.

M&S seem to have the same idea. M&S were very quiet each time we visited over Christmas & New Year. Like John Lewis, M&S have a tactic of urging in-store customers to go home and order online from 'the website'.

Scorched earth retail.

Morrisons tie-up with Amazon is probably one of the most bizarre corporate decisions ever made. They are handing Amazon all the data analysis they need to compete with them, which they will do, as that is exactly what they have done time and again in loads of niches. It's a crazy agreement, and Amazon will boot them out, launch their own versions. I don't understand it at all.

24 minutes ago, spunko said:

Morrisons tie-up with Amazon is probably one of the most bizarre corporate decisions ever made. They are handing Amazon all the data analysis they need to compete with them, which they will do, as that is exactly what they have done time and again in loads of niches. It's a crazy agreement, and Amazon will boot them out, launch their own versions. I don't understand it at all.

Morrisons has gone massively into online stuff. In my area they have teamed up with Ocado. Brilliant online delivery service. Comes out of the Ocado depot on rebranded Morrisons wagons. 

Alonso Quijano
On 09/01/2019 at 03:23, Bedrag Justesen said:

My Tesco Clubcard vouchers inexplicably were not valid for alcohol purchases.

//

I don't actually know anybody that shopped for Christmas drinks at TESCO, purely because their vouchers didn't apply. They must have lost millions in Wales. xD

It's to do with Health Nazis influencing govt policy, banning promotions. Noticed when I bought some whiskey in Sainsbury's and went back to get points added to Nectar card - no longer allowed! Health Nazis don't want drinking encouraged. I buy one or two bottles of whiskey a year!

Shame about Tesco vouchers used to get the £4 off £20 vouchers sent and spend them on beer deals! No more...

While Aldi stuff is generally decent, at my local one the main issue is the lack of stock management and rotation. Nothing that can't be remedied by checking the date on everything mind. Also, a lot of products are delivered in mixed cases, so quite often you end up with loads of boxes of pecan cereal, when all you want is some strawberry.

Guess that's the result of their ultra-lean model.

Just been round and picked up six bottles of merlot, three laundry gel, two large bottles of fizzy water, extra special freshly squeezed orange juice which is superb btw and a bread roll. All for 25 quid. 

On 10/01/2019 at 20:50, One percent said:

Morrisons has gone massively into online stuff. In my area they have teamed up with Ocado. Brilliant online delivery service. Comes out of the Ocado depot on rebranded Morrisons wagons. 

Morrisons are a pain with their bloody online thing. Several times recently I have heard of something (food) that I want to buy and found it on the Morrisons web site. When you go into the shop it's nowhere to be found and the staff have never heard of it. At first I thought maybe I had made a mistake or just unlucky but now realise a lot of Morrsions stuff is online-only. With a 30-quid minimum order which I am not going to do for a bottle of sauce or whatever.

9 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Morrisons are a pain with their bloody online thing. Several times recently I have heard of something (food) that I want to buy and found it on the Morrisons web site. When you go into the shop it's nowhere to be found and the staff have never heard of it. At first I thought maybe I had made a mistake or just unlucky but now realise a lot of Morrsions stuff is online-only. With a 30-quid minimum order which I am not going to do for a bottle of sauce or whatever.

There is much more selection on the website (if delivered in partnership with Ocado).  I like it.  There is never anything missing, or rarely as the stock control linked to the website seems to be pretty good.  prices are competitive.  

Archived