• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
MrPin

Lawnmower Paint

Question

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

How should I go about repainting and old lawnmower? Obviously not auto spray paint or hammerite?

Why 'obviously not'? Those are the two most obvious options assuming it is metal.

4 minutes ago, NTB said:

Why 'obviously not'? Those are the two most obvious options assuming it is metal.

I want it to look like it did in 1960. I'm not pimping it up with a skull and flames job!

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I want it to look like it did in 1960. I'm not pimping it up with a skull and flames job!

Plastikote spray paint, comes in many colours including lawnmower green and reddy-orange.

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Spray paint mixed to the correct colour then with plenty of clear coat for protection.

Have used and been very impressed with Paragon Enamel paint  Have brushed it, rollered it, spray painted it, even airbrushed it with sufficient thinner. Looks great, dries quickly, doesn't run anywhere like aerosols and some other paints, can lay on pretty thick without running, great coverage and opacity, hard finish, cures quickly, sands ok if you need to lay on another coat, don't have to be too picky about preparation and still be able to get a smooth good looking finish, used it without primer and still got good results. Find BS colour or nearest match for your mower model. Price is good too, a 1 litre tin will go miles further than aerosols.

https://www.paragonpaints.co.uk/home.php

Also, Pinny, hammerite is fairly heat reistant, up to 150C but they do heat reistant paint too. I love Hammerite it's up there with WD40 and expanding foam, the best bodger inventions for your shed.

Even my local village shop sells Hammerite. It is owned by a butch lesbian but that's probably just a coincidence. :Old:

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

That's exactly what I have, er one and a half of them anyway.

Tractor enamel from an agricultural parts place for something like that I'd think. You can get near spray finish with a foam brush and careful application.

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

Tractor enamel from an agricultural parts place for something like that I'd think. You can get near spray finish with a foam brush and careful application.

Now that sounds authentic. I wasn't looking for a flame job with skulls on it.