• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

moped rider stabbed to death

8 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Do you have links to any statistics to support your assertion?

After I left school in the 60s I had a job in the local 10 pin bowling alley. They were very popular then. Anyway there was a local yobbo who was continually aggressive towards me. I started to carry a knife with me because I was scared of him. Fortunately one of the bouncers saw it on me and took it away from me. From my perspective I always tend to think that most that carry knives on them do so because they are scared.

Another incident back then was when I was with a group of friends and we were returning from a gig, could have been a Rolling Stones or Beatles concert at the Adelphi in Slough. On the way home another youth was drunk and upset for some reason nothing to do with us started being aggressive towards us and pulled out a knife. One of us a big Scots lad had probably seen knife fights before took off his coat to use as cloak to defend us. Luckily the aggressors friend calmed him down and we walked off without incident.

So yes there were knife attacks back then. They were uncommon and far less prevalent than I read about these days.

I probably didn't read much then. Your experience reflects mine. I only carry a Swiss Army knife for the corkscrew function.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

maybe new type of gang initiation - chase the rabbit

My guess is it was because he queered the pitch of some local Mr Big, being from Nottingham he may not have realised he was a very small fish in a very big pond. He may even have stolen the moped from some local druglord or his moll, etc.

Alternatively he might just have been in the wrong place at the wrong time - crashed the moped into some gangster's car and then sucked his teeth at him, or something.

Edited by Austin Allegro

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I strongly suspect that is not true. 

Difficult to say. I do not hang around in the same places now. I've moved a lot, and my interests in a night out are different now.

35 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Difficult to say. I do not hang around in the same places now. I've moved a lot, and my interests in a night out are different now.

If you had to bet on it though, which period would you say was most violent/stabby? The 70s/80s or now?

The UK has had loads of stabby periods. 

So this is nothing new. 

However that doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to describe it for what it is in places like London just now. 

It's a major black on black issue. Not all of course. But a huge part. 

When similar happened in Glasgow back in the day they had no issues calling it what it was. Razor gangs. There was no need for any racial background to be noted as they were all white.

Posted (edited)

I hate the idea that a child has been murdered but love how the media have trivialised his illegal use of a moped - effectively saying this poor 14 year old kid was just going about his business on a moped and he didn't deserve to be slain.

Truly, the world is back to front 😳

Edited by longtomsilver

13 minutes ago, wherebee said:

REALLY pinny?  

#source please

Somebody did post someting on a previous thread. Lost it now. If the previous person would like to repeat?

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Somebody did post someting on a previous thread. Lost it now. If the previous person would like to repeat?

I'd agree that there were more pints of mild and Fray Bentos pies eaten in the 70's and 80's, and that's about it....

There were some fearsome violent gangs in places like Glasgow and Sheffield in the 1920s and 1930s

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/razor-gangs-ruled-the-streets-but-even-960790

http://wolfiewiseguy.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-sheffield-gang-wars.html

The main difference to now was that stabbing someone to death was likely to end up with perpetrator swinging at the end of a rope. That meant gang members were more likely to carry coshes and slashing razors than knives as they gave the gang member more chance of copping a manslaughter plea if they killed someone.

This was on the news. A mechanic was saying he was a nice boy and he took his moped into him to get fixed.

Ffs, 14 year old and he's breakfast the the law by driving a moped. It's likely he was a drug dealer/ thief.

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

This was on the news. A mechanic was saying he was a nice boy and he took his moped into him to get fixed.

Ffs, 14 year old and he's breakfast the the law by driving a moped. It's likely he was a drug dealer/ thief.

It's likely he thinks not much of the law of the land. Proper gangtas do get the cars taxed and insured. And then use a stolen one for the job.:Old:

8 hours ago, spygirl said:

Do mopeds even exist these days?

I thoguth these were jsut very underpowered scooters and motorbikes.

If only he was better at selling drugs ... could have bought this

https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/yamaha-fs1e-dx-50cc-moped-motorbike-fizzy-1975/1248632643

Theyd have never have caught him...

Maybe he was big for his age?

Fuck. Wish I had kept mine.

8 hours ago, MrPin said:

FS1E had gears. A lot of mopeds are just twist and go. Ideal for handbag snatching, although I am not suggesting the bloke was Italian, or similar.

You'll not be stealing a bike with a jockey shift, and foot operated suicide clutch for such purposes.:Old:

Yes. They had gears and a very badly designed return spring. Anyone that owned one for more than 6 months should have been able to strip and rebuild the gearbox inside half an hour. You would miss assembly but get there in time for your first lesson.

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

Yes. They had gears and a very badly designed return spring. Anyone that owned one for more than 6 months should have been able to strip and rebuild the gearbox inside half an hour. You would miss assembly but get there in time for your first lesson.

Peculiarly, all the gears were UP, not one DOWN and the rest UP. Thread diverted!O.o

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Peculiarly, all the gears were UP, not one DOWN and the rest UP. Thread diverted!O.o

No they weren't. It was one down, four up. I think you rebuilt your gearbox incorrectly.

Just now, Wight Flight said:

No they weren't. It was one down, four up. I think you rebuilt your gearbox incorrectly.

Correct.  But the AP50 was better!

Just now, Wight Flight said:

I never had one. I did try one once, but I bought a Honda 200. Maybe there was some other one I tried with an unusual gear arrangement?

1 minute ago, Harley said:

I probably tried the lot.

3 minutes ago, Harley said:

I preferred the AR80. Because you could put the AR50 sticker on the side and ride it at 16. Only a real expert could tell the difference. 

1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

I preferred the AR80. Because you could put the AR50 sticker on the side and ride it at 16. Only a real expert could tell the difference. 

I missed that!  But then I was a good boy, once upon a time!

12 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Just heard to collision was with a black Mercedes. Surely a bit early to release that kind of colour information?

Find that one then. Now if it had been a pink Ford Pilot, we might have found it by now.