• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

moped rider stabbed to death

29 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I know we shouldn't quote ourself, but:

I was being very PC with my initial speculation. I'm sure most of us strongly suspected from the outset the ethnicity of the victim and the probably the murderers, and that it would most likely involve gangs and/or drugs. 

In the interests of being neutral and confining myself to the evidence first available I didn't air my suspicions. Why bother we know the odds of our initial thoughts being proved correct time and time again. 

Of course its all the fault of our white privilege that young people like these suffer economic deprivation and a hostile environment with the result that they have no option other than to turn their frustrations into illegal activities. NOT! 

I suppose there's a very remote possibility that losing control of the moped/small bike he damaged the mercedes by accident and not being insured and stuff he scarpered and they caught him etc.  I actually think there must be more to it than that possibility because even those types would likely stop at a slap and try to get the parents to pay for the damage.  In any event the sooner they're caught the better - there should be a massive dragnet out.

Edited by twocents

5 hours ago, twocents said:

That's like a small mortorbike - it's not a proper moped.  It's even more powerful in appearance than a scooter which has a small platform for your feet.

A proper moped is a pedal bike with pedals, very narrow pedal bike wheels with wire spokes and a pedal bike frame - with a small motor attached - or at least that's what a moped used to be.  It used to be the absolute bottom rung of motorised vehicle and a real moped probably still is.  No real status in a real moped except compared to a non-powered bike which school kids used - but economical for assisted travel..

Likely they've changed the categories for marketing purposes.  The word moped used to be the epitome of innocent and frugal motoring. 

No, a moped is a motorcycle with a capacity of <50cc and a top speed of 30mph (actually 45kph now, thanks presumably to euro harmonisation of the standards). It has been thus since 1976, when the rules were changed to remove the requirement for pedals, and restrict the top speed.

The scooter in the picture appears to be a Gilera Runner 125, or something very similar. In which case it is definitely

NOT A MOPED

so if posters could stop referring to it as such that'd be great cheers

Nobody has "changed the categories for marketing purposes" by the way. It's just ignorant fuckwits who should know better getting their terminology wrong, and everyone else blindly following on.

24 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

This is apparently young Jayden  counting his pocket money. That's a lot of penny chews!

8362632-6576201-Stabbing_victim_Jayden_Moodie_poses_with_bundles_of_cash_and_con-a-123_1547137184610.jpg

Looks like a nice man who could appear in a supermarket Christmas advert campaign with a nice blonde girlfriend and his kids.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Looks like a nice man who could appear in a supermarket Christmas advert campaign with a nice blonde girlfriend and his kids.

Here he is! 

30 minutes ago, Rave said:

No, a moped is a motorcycle with a capacity of <50cc and a top speed of 30mph (actually 45kph now, thanks presumably to euro harmonisation of the standards). It has been thus since 1976, when the rules were changed to remove the requirement for pedals, and restrict the top speed.

The scooter in the picture appears to be a Gilera Runner 125, or something very similar. In which case it is definitely

NOT A MOPED

Nobody has "changed the categories for marketing purposes" by the way. It's just ignorant fuckwits who should know better getting their terminology wrong, and everyone else blindly following on.

Correct. It isn't a motorbike either. I guess it is a scooter?

Sorry. Just seen your scooter line.

The problem is most of the public now think those are the push along things that kids use. 

Had the MSM said he was a kid out riding his scooter, the whole of mumsnet would have done a collective sigh.

So perhaps, in this instance, moped is actually a better word.

Edited by Wight Flight

1 hour ago, twocents said:

I suppose there's a very remote possibility that losing control of the moped/small bike he damaged the mercedes by accident and not being insured and stuff he scarpered and they caught him etc.  I actually think there must be more to it than that possibility because even those types would likely stop at a slap and try to get the parents to pay for the damage.  In any event the sooner they're caught the better - there should be a massive dragnet out.

A headline I saw stated the police believe it was a targeted attack. the So-Called BBC are now reporting the family denying Jayden had no links to gangs. I doubt many parents of 14 year olds know exactly what they get up to when they are out. As a parent we just hope they behave responsibly and act as we have brought them up to. 

Edited by sleepwello'nights
double negative

55 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

This is apparently young Jayden  counting his pocket money. That's a lot of penny chews!

8362632-6576201-Stabbing_victim_Jayden_Moodie_poses_with_bundles_of_cash_and_con-a-123_1547137184610.jpg

I'm not convinced that's him. Compared to the other photos in the Mail article, the boy appears to have darker skin and smaller hands/fingers. Those look like an older persons hands.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

A headline I saw stated the police believe it was a targeted attack. the So-Called BBC are now reporting the family denying Jayden had no links to gangs. I doubt many parents of 14 year olds know exactly what they get up to when they are out. As a parent we just hope they behave responsibly and act as we have brought them up to. 

Maybe paper rounds pay much better these days than I remember.

I would like to know the details of how he got embroiled in gangs only six months after moving to London. Even if he was into that sort of stuff before he moved it seems concerning someone new to the area seems to automatically get sucked in. Theoretically he's in full time education or did he slip though the net because of the move.

13 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I'm not convinced that's him. Compared to the other photos in the Mail article, the boy appears to have darker skin and smaller hands/fingers. Those look like an older persons hands.

Same chain as this pic?

8336496-6576201-At_another_point_the_video_shows_Jayden_pictured_wearing_a_jumpe-a-104_1547137184598.jpg

16 hours ago, stokiescum said:

in the 80s it was stanley knifes.

Gang fights though, indigenous youths mostly. Not random people on trains and the rape of tens/hundreds of thousands of our girls. 

16 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

A headline I saw stated the police believe it was a targeted attack. the So-Called BBC are now reporting the family denying Jayden had no links to gangs. 

Can anyone remember an occasion when someone was killed (even by the Police, like that scumbag Mark Duggan - gun found next to him wasn’t there?) when there was 100% conclusive agreement they were a wrong ‘un?

You can be gunned down with your face hidden behind a gang coloured balaclava, knife down your pants, MS13 tattoos on your neck, and still the media will hint at your warm family nature and fondness for kittens. 

25 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Those aren’t the hands of a 14 year old either 

29 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

Same chain as this pic?

8336496-6576201-At_another_point_the_video_shows_Jayden_pictured_wearing_a_jumpe-a-104_1547137184598.jpg

Agree it looks like the same chain, I'm still not convinced it's him by the hands. Could the chain be some gang thing and it's another member?

2 hours ago, Anglepoise said:

Doubtfull.

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, Wight Flight said:

Correct. It isn't a motorbike either. I guess it is a scooter?

Sorry. Just seen your scooter line.

The problem is most of the public now think those are the push along things that kids use. 

Had the MSM said he was a kid out riding his scooter, the whole of mumsnet would have done a collective sigh.

So perhaps, in this instance, moped is actually a better word.

Well legally it's a motorcycle, there's no distinction between conventional bikes with gears and a top mounted petrol tank that you climb aboard by swinging a leg over the back, and automatic, step through designs which are almost universally referred to as scooters in the motorcycling world. Some step throughs have gears; the classic Vespa for example, and most people would still call that a scooter- though they probably wouldn't call a Honda C90 one.

Referring to them as motorcycles would be quite correct. Referring to them as mopeds simply is not. 

41 minutes ago, Harley said:

When did things change?  I had a moped (AP50, 49cc) that could do well over 30mph, especially after some tinkering.

The law actually changed on 1st September 1977, not 1976 as I put previously. In the years prior to that bikes like the Yamaha FS1-E (the quintessential and now rather valuable 'sports moped') and the AP50 were essentially exploiting a loophole in the law by simply fitting 'pedals' that attached to the gearbox or front sprocket somehow and moved the bike forward when pushed- they were not actually in any way useful for moving the bike or starting the engine, they were just there to make the bike legal for 16 year olds to ride, and as they were capable of a genuine 50mph, I guess that wasn't considered safe for 16 year olds, or people with a car licence but no formal motorbike training, to just jump on.

After that there were still plenty of mopeds that were capable of more than 30mph with fairly simple modifications- they were built for world markets and restricted for the UK by fitting restrictors in the carb and/or exhaust, or in the case of the Kawasaki AR50 like I had as a 16 year old in 1995, by fitting a CDI that massively retarded the ignition over 7000rpm, thus cutting the power. Mine did about 38mph when I first got it thanks to the previous owner fitting a larger front sprocket.

6 minutes ago, Rave said:

The law actually changed on 1st September 1977, not 1976 as I put previously. In the years prior to that bikes like the Yamaha FS1-E (the quintessential and now rather valuable 'sports moped') and the AP50 were essentially exploiting a loophole in the law by simply fitting 'pedals' that attached to the gearbox or front sprocket somehow and moved the bike forward when pushed- they were not actually in any way useful for moving the bike or starting the engine, they were just there to make the bike legal for 16 year olds to ride, and as they were capable of a genuine 50mph, I guess that wasn't considered safe for 16 year olds, or people with a car licence but no formal motorbike training, to just jump on.

Ta.  Another reason I was glad to grow up when I did.  I was very lucky.  Looks like a lot of crap changes followed me all the way through my ongoing biking career.

PS:  68mph I recall, but at that speed the speedo (and rider) were a bit wobbly!

Edited by Harley

Haha, well maybe. The change in the law didn't retrospectively ban 16 year olds from riding the old mopeds, so they became more valuable as a result, and it wasn't beyond the wit of the average bike mad 16 year old to tune up their post-77 mopeds to do more than 30mph anyway, and I gather that you were unlikely to get done for it unless you egregiously took the piss. As a suburban Londoner I only ever took my AR50 out of town once, to Brands Hatch, and while that was as shit a ride as you'd imagine, it was plenty fast enough for me round town. Especially as it had AR80-sized Pirellis on it and would quite happily lean over to knee scraping angles :) .

It's still clearly the case that kids can get away with riding bikes that they've no legal entitlement to, so nothing much has changed, really9_9.

4 hours ago, Rave said:

NOT A MOPED

Ok.  I'm no expert on mopeds or their marketing but I do think they've prettied them up considerably to more easily market them.  Minor cpacity adjustments and removed the official need for pedals.

Original style of moped.

10050294.jpg

That's a moped.  Small motor and pedals - moped ;) :D  Sort of phut phut phut transport.

I agree that the bike he's shown riding (like the Gilera Runner 125 you mention) looks more like a scooter with flat platforms either side of the body for the feet - in that case it is not a moped - officially due to the engine size (and it doesn't have pedals).  A search under mopeds throws up bikes looking identical to the Gilera Runner 125 but described as mopeds because of a 49cc engine. 

For example on Autotrader there's a Gilera Runner 49cc "moped" - I can't see any pedals on the one I saw therefore it's not a moped - other makes the same - however apparently these days pedals aren't required to call them mopeds.

My earlier posts were only aimed at the MSM's usage.  I would rather they didn't use the term moped for modern bikes but there seems to be nothing to stop them as the bureaucrats make the rules.  Although on second thoughts maybe if they're used by street robbers it puts their true status in perspective (also just to say I don't think there's been any evidence reported so far to prove that he was up to anything nefarious).

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, Rave said:

It's still clearly the case that kids can get away with riding bikes that they've no legal entitlement to, so nothing much has changed, really9_9.

Thinking back I bought my first motor bike when I was 15. A Triumph Tiger Cub. 200cc or thereabouts. Of course the temptation to ride it on the road was too strong to resist. My parents didn't know and would have stopped me if they knew. 

It didn't automatically make me a tearaway, although I suppose you could have called my group of friends a gang. We had leather jackets, naturally. We didn't deal drugs or defend a turf.