• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

moped rider stabbed to death

1 hour ago, Rave said:

Haha, well maybe. The change in the law didn't retrospectively ban 16 year olds from riding the old mopeds, so they became more valuable as a result, and it wasn't beyond the wit of the average bike mad 16 year old to tune up their post-77 mopeds to do more than 30mph anyway, and I gather that you were unlikely to get done for it unless you egregiously took the piss. As a suburban Londoner I only ever took my AR50 out of town once, to Brands Hatch, and while that was as shit a ride as you'd imagine, it was plenty fast enough for me round town. Especially as it had AR80-sized Pirellis on it and would quite happily lean over to knee scraping angles :) .

It's still clearly the case that kids can get away with riding bikes that they've no legal entitlement to, so nothing much has changed, really9_9.

In the 1980s i had a vespa 90cc, i filled in the form said i had changed it to 50cc. Well, i got the log book back and it was the fastest vespa 50 in the west. I loved fizzies and ar30s.

18 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

Today it's revealed, the dad was a drug dealer!

''His own father, Julian, 51, was jailed in 2009 after being caught selling crack cocaine and heroin to an undercover police officer.''

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/10/family-murdered-14-year-old-speak-say-no-one-safe-streets-london/

No wonder they were desperate to get out of Nottingham. Probably still owe the confiscated stash money to Mr Big.

Robbin’ in da Hood

18 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

It didn't automatically make me a tearaway, although I suppose you could have called my group of friends a gang. We had leather jackets, naturally. We didn't deal drugs or defend a turf.  

You're name starts with P and you're an Essex boy through time rather than birth.  You were the brains and left the dirty work to the rest of us you SOB!  Right about the dealing though.  You now an accountant like the rest of us?

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, Rave said:

Well legally it's a motorcycle, there's no distinction between conventional bikes with gears and a top mounted petrol tank that you climb aboard by swinging a leg over the back, and automatic, step through designs which are almost universally referred to as scooters in the motorcycling world. Some step throughs have gears; the classic Vespa for example, and most people would still call that a scooter- though they probably wouldn't call a Honda C90 one.

Referring to them as motorcycles would be quite correct. Referring to them as mopeds simply is not. 

The law actually changed on 1st September 1977, not 1976 as I put previously. In the years prior to that bikes like the Yamaha FS1-E (the quintessential and now rather valuable 'sports moped') and the AP50 were essentially exploiting a loophole in the law by simply fitting 'pedals' that attached to the gearbox or front sprocket somehow and moved the bike forward when pushed- they were not actually in any way useful for moving the bike or starting the engine, they were just there to make the bike legal for 16 year olds to ride, and as they were capable of a genuine 50mph, I guess that wasn't considered safe for 16 year olds, or people with a car licence but no formal motorbike training, to just jump on.

After that there were still plenty of mopeds that were capable of more than 30mph with fairly simple modifications- they were built for world markets and restricted for the UK by fitting restrictors in the carb and/or exhaust, or in the case of the Kawasaki AR50 like I had as a 16 year old in 1995, by fitting a CDI that massively retarded the ignition over 7000rpm, thus cutting the power. Mine did about 38mph when I first got it thanks to the previous owner fitting a larger front sprocket.

I seem to recal they did an AR90 and the gearbox was exactly the same as the AR50, just a  smaller bore. It was a straight swap, although I never knew of anyone who had done it.

A Suzuki TS50ER was my ride. Initially a 65cc big bore kit. Then got my hands on a 75cc Malossi big bore kit that also came with a bigger carb. That and being a skinny lad meant I had the fastest moped in town.

The Yamaha DTR125 was a doddle to derestrict. A washer in the exhuast held in with 3 spot welds, grind them off and ditch the washer. Then the power valve was locked in the closed position, 2 minutes with an allen key and you could lock it in the open position.

Riding through London at night, Chelsea Bridge  and then onto Heston services. Back then riding through London in the early hours on a bike was fab.

They were fun times.

you sure its not a moped, looks like a moped to me.

I once got overtaken by a yoof on a moped in hayes going around a sharp right hand bend,  I was doing easily 50, he obviously thought i was going to slow down and let him use the whole road in front of me to make the bend and straighten up, wrong kidda, i kept my foot to the floor and he had to go round on the right hand side with a bus coming the other way, how i laughed as he went arse over tit into the grass verge on the other pavement to avoid a head on into the bus, obviously was 20 years ago and i didnt hang around, i felt nothing for the little fucking shit.

43 minutes ago, null; said:

Riding through London at night, Chelsea Bridge  and then onto Heston services. Back then riding through London in the early hours on a bike was fab.

Oh yeh, can still smell it.  Clear roads, bright lights, and crisp crystal clear fresh air.

Something about riding a bike to nowhere late at night.

Also reminds me of the girlfriend who (rarely) also had a moped.  Used to ride for miles into the country, and talk about bikes.

Edited by Harley

1 hour ago, Harley said:

You're name starts with P and you're an Essex boy through time rather than birth.  You were the brains and left the dirty work to the rest of us you SOB!  Right about the dealing though.  You now an accountant like the rest of us?

Uh? Don't understand what your saying?

1 hour ago, null; said:

I seem to recal they did an AR90 and the gearbox was exactly the same as the AR50, just a  smaller bore. It was a straight swap, although I never knew of anyone who had done it.

A Suzuki TS50ER was my ride. Initially a 65cc big bore kit. Then got my hands on a 75cc Malossi big bore kit that also came with a bigger carb. That and being a skinny lad meant I had the fastest moped in town.

The Yamaha DTR125 was a doddle to derestrict. A washer in the exhuast held in with 3 spot welds, grind them off and ditch the washer. Then the power valve was locked in the closed position, 2 minutes with an allen key and you could lock it in the open position.

They were fun times.

I had a TZR125, same engine as the DT. Turning the powervalve doubled the power but completely killed the power in the low and midrange. Great fun for a teenager, I managed to get mine to over a 100 on the speedo, god knows what that was in reality. Bit of a shit bike really with a cheapo top heavy steel frame. I always fancied a DT but I'd want a servo for the powervalve.

1 hour ago, null; said:

They were fun times.

It was an AR80 and everything was a straight swap. Just had a bigger piston and cylinder head. The only visible difference was the AR80 had a small indent in the exhaust.

And you now know one person that did it.

The AR80 had a bigger carb as well...and a sixth gear. The 50 just had an empty space on the shafts in the 6th gear position (or some sort of blanking washer, I forget which). The dogs must have been different as well in some way I guess, to stop you changing into the nonexistent 6th gear.

I still have my AR50, in bits in my mum's garage. It never really ran right, and when I split the cases when I was 18 I found a big chunk had somehow been gouged out of one of them, I seem to recall it was between the crankcase and the gearbox. All the steel engine bits will be rusty as hell by now and the case would be tricky to repair, so at some point I'd like to see if I can drop a KX65 or 85 engine in it, I reckon that would be good fun, and probably not too much of a challenge to weld on new mounts for the engine and radiator. It's probably worth as much as a basket case as I (well, my parents) paid for it in 1995 though, they're quite collectible now.

1 hour ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Uh? Don't understand what your saying?

You were beginning to sound very much like a certain overly angelic and clever member of our motorcycle er club.  Funny though how the ones left have now all become quite respectable, if such things as accountants can ever be!

8 hours ago, whitevanman said:

I had a TZR125, same engine as the DT. Turning the powervalve doubled the power but completely killed the power in the low and midrange. Great fun for a teenager, I managed to get mine to over a 100 on the speedo, god knows what that was in reality. Bit of a shit bike really with a cheapo top heavy steel frame. I always fancied a DT but I'd want a servo for the powervalve.

Absolutely spot on. The DTR had a heated carb as well (assume the TZR did as well), this meant when cold the low power was even more non existant (certainly did on mine anyway). Once warmed up though it was great. I always liked two strokes with a narrow power band, to me that was part of the fun - the whole twisting back the throttle and nothing, nothing, nothing, then suddenly everything in one hit and blipping through the gears.

For the powervalve some one came out with a kit that was an extra cable on the throttle to turn the vale, a bit naff really so I never bothered with it and never got my hands on a servo.

Edited by null;

14 hours ago, Dipsy said:

I'm not convinced that's him. Compared to the other photos in the Mail article, the boy appears to have darker skin and smaller hands/fingers. Those look like an older persons hands.

It's him alright...

... that hand however had been photoshopped, together with the wad of cash. 

Edit: or possibly posed by someone wearing his clothes and covering the face for obvious reasons (it isn't him). Wouldn't surprise me if there's someone out there doing this for fivers (with the same wad of cash). Tops up benefits and dealing.

Edited by longtomsilver

3 hours ago, whocares said:

Pinkie in Brighton Rock by Graham Greene?!

Now my turn!

I'm off to Google, thinking it might be rather good!

14 hours ago, MrPin said:

Maybe we need a biking nostalgia thread?

Only if that includes my ex girlfriends and not quite ex libido!

Edited by Harley

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6581797/Jayden-Moodie-excluded-school-social-media-posts.html

Murdered teenager Jayden Moodie had been excluded from school weeks before he was stabbed to death in the street, it emerged today

Friends of the 14-year-old told how teachers at Heathcote School in Chingford took action after spotting extra-curricular activities on his social media feeds.

Bit harsh for Maths club.

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6581797/Jayden-Moodie-excluded-school-social-media-posts.html

Murdered teenager Jayden Moodie had been excluded from school weeks before he was stabbed to death in the street, it emerged today

Friends of the 14-year-old told how teachers at Heathcote School in Chingford took action after spotting extra-curricular activities on his social media feeds.

Bit harsh for Maths club.

Oh, oh, I know that school. It’s pretty  good and the area is quite ordinary(not chav or stabby central). 

There are a number of schools  between where he lived and here. Wonder how he ended up here. 

Guessing he was excluded elsewhere and what they tend to do is just exclude and then reinstate in another within the borough  

my kids went to a neighbouring school  I would be pissed off if I knew for definite that kids like this were being parachuted in  

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Oh, oh, I know that school. It’s pretty  good and the area is quite ordinary(not chav or stabby central). 

There are a number of schools  between where he lived and here. Wonder how he ended up here. 

Guessing he was excluded elsewhere and what they tend to do is just exclude and then reinstate in another within the borough  

my kids went to a neighbouring school  I would be pissed off if I knew for definite that kids like this were being parachuted in  

If he's not long moved from Nottingham it may have been an in year admission so they had to find a place for him somewhere which may not have necessarily been the closest schools. Interesting though that he was excluded, it usually something serious to merit an exclusion these days.

^

Mail link

He said the teenager was having problems with a Somali gang in the area, which had started as a row over drugs, adding: 'He was just a small kid but he didn't go to school and he was running around dealing. He used to always have a big knife in his waist.

Didn't a poster mention the possibility of Somali involvement early in the thread.

Edited by twocents